Xtratime Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the people on this forum are intelligent fans and I have been trying to get a point across to my ignorant friends over here.
I would like to know what would have happened if the sanctions were not imposed on Yugoslavia in 92, two days before the start of the European championships. I posted this topic on the serbian forum but that forum is on it's last legs. With all the class players that Yugoslavia had in that period and all in their peak unlike the last two tournements where most the players were over the hill. With Stojkovic, Savicevic, Mihajlovic, Jugovic and the list goes on and on. With this team based on the great Red Star team of '91 who were of course World and European champions.
I ask you people as outsiders to the Yugoslav team, what did you think of that side and what do you think they would have accomplished and aswell what do you think Red Star would have accomplished also.
I believe they would have went on to many great teams and established themselves as the greatest Yugoslavian side ever, but I hope i get a good response as I would be really interested in knowing what you think.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Im not especially knowledgable about the political situation at the time, however, i think Yugoslavia would have no doubt been a major force in Euro 92, as you point out, you need only look at the achievements of Red Star in 91 gauge the quality that would have been within that side.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
They might in fact even have won the title, who knows! :)
But there is no need to worry for that lost time... Yugoslavia has lots of great youngsters and a new (maybe even better generation) will come soon. :)

·
Registered
25,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope this next generation is better than the last and the first glimpse of this was against Lithuania last week. I know that they are a very poor team but the result didn't matter it was the performance. I just think it was a great shame that teh world never got to see the great Yugoslav side of early to mid '90s in which I think they would have destroyed a lot of teams and were much better than a lot of the teams back then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts