Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what everyone thinks would have happened to our league and national team if sanctions were not imposed. If you take a look back to 1992, Zvezda were world club champs and had done it in style, our national team was thriving with talent and were one of the favourites to win Euro '92 and of course the Danes took our place and won it. And what do you think would have happened at USA '94 if we were allowed to compete in that.
The talent was amazing back then, if you look at Savicevic, he was one of the best players in europe if not the world and in the '94 champions league final, you could say he single handley destroyed Barca scoring 2 in which one was a fantastic piece of skill.
Stojkovic was still going strong and Jugovic was going from one great club to another winning trophies evrywhere he went.
So I ask you what do you think would have happened if the sanctions did not happen of even if teh war did not happen........................................

·
Premium Member
27,256 Posts
Zvezda would have at least played in the CL final in '92 if they were allowed to play in Belgrade, even without playing in Belgrade they were 2nd in their group so it was still a great result. Later, who knows?
Our NT would have won Euro 92 and in my humble opinion would have been one of the favourites of USA '94 and Euro '96.
Honestly, I just can't imagine anybody stopping a team with Piksi, Savicevic, Mijatovic, Jugovic, Mihajlovic - all in their prime..

Again, you never know but it is a great shame that one of our most talented generations ever has gone to waste because of politics..:mad:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Thats, from my perspective, one of the greatest football tragedies ever. That was a Dream Team Yugoslavia (or Sebia & Montenegro)possibly ever had, and it is lost.

"Sta bi bilo kad bi bilo" is the question we can ask ourselves now, but wont help us get rid of a bad feeling.

one more proof that Politics & Sport should not mix.

and danes should be gratefull forever ;):D :tongue:

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
Believe it or not guys, the more time passes the more I'm glad it was Denmark who won the Euro '92! And it is not because I can say:"That proves we would have won it!" You know us, if there was a trophy for failing miserably when it comes to the real thig, we'd win it every year!:D :D :tongue: :rolleyes: It is because Denmark was the only team who played football while others played a different game called:"Let's pass back to the goalkeeper, who passes fewer is a donkey" In an otherwise abysmal tournament the only matches worth remebering were those Denmark played. The only moves worth mentioning were by Danish players! I remember particularly two. One is the play that resulted in the first Danish goal during the semifinal vs. Holland.Brian Laudrup went past three men and crossed it over Van Breukelen straight on the forehead of Jensen(I'm not sure if it was him, Danes, feel free to correct me) who couldn't miss even if he wanted to! The second was a brilliant scissor-kick defending in the Final, I can't remember by whom, that denied Klinsmann a header!

But, as aca said, there is no point in lamenting of what might have been...

·
Premium Member
27,256 Posts
We would have been UNSTOPPABLE!
The dominating force of the 90's!
The football Dream Team!!

But it wasn't to be....:depress:

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
I have to say that that Yugo team would have been good. I personally never watched them and wasn't a supporter, but the talent of that generation (Chile '87, Boban, Mijatovic, Suker, Jarni, Stimac, Prosinecki etc.) was supremely talented and their careers have proven this fact since. Add to them Stojkovic and others, it was definitely the best midfield I can remember on any team, and surely the rest would have filled their roles.

It's difficult to detirmine wheather or not they would have gelled as a team, had the chemistry going and had luck on their side in retrospect, but on paper they we're definitely formiddable.

Though I never cheered for ex-Yugo due to personal reasons, one has to give credit where credit's due.

But what can you do, Croatia's golden generation took the world by surprise and climbed to dizzying heights in the nineties, constantly being one of the best in the world. This is compensation enough for us, and if we were let to play in WC94, the experience and chemistry we would have gained there would make for an even better Croatian team in 96 and 98. But unfortunately, we weren't, and there's no use moping about it now.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Ero said:
(Chile '87, Boban, Mijatovic, Suker, Jarni, Stimac, Prosinecki etc.) was supremely talented and their careers have proven this fact since. Add to them Stojkovic and others, it was definitely the best midfield I can remember on any team,.........................................

Though I never cheered for ex-Yugo due to personal reasons, one has to give credit where credit's due.

there's no use moping about it now.
Thank you Ero:) add to that Croatian team likes of Stojkovic, Jugovic and the rest od the Yu Company and you'll get the team that Europe would never forget.

Similary in basketball. Imagine the team with Radja, Drazen & Kukoc at their best together with Divac & Company. Appart from the dream team...who would be able to stop them?

I'm not ex-YU nostaligic in any sense...but this remain a fact:);)

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a great shame that we didn't get to see those great players on the international stage during the peak of their careers, I could only imagine how they could have ripped most of the world's best to shreds. I don't think there will be a talented generation of players like these in a long while unfortunately and we need to start a rebuilding process somehow.

·
Premium Member
27,256 Posts
Well, we can rebuild as much as we like, but in my opinion having so many talented players in one generation was simply a gift from God, and not something likely to happen in a long time.
We aren't as big a nation as Brazil and Argentina are who keep on producing great talents every year, we simply have to rely on luck..

Shame, shame, shame...:(

·
Banned
692 Posts
imagine...

Boksic, Suker, Mijatovic at their prime as forwards

Prosinecki, Boban, Stojkovic, Savicevic at their best in midfield

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Boban,

That would be a great midfield and attack which would have destroyed any team in the world and the defence wouldn't be too shabby either. The only problem would be the goal keeper.
And don't forget Pancev, he was one of deadliest strikers in europe when playing Zvezda.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
if there was...

Djukic,Mihajlovc,Stimac,Jarni,Petrovic,Bilic,Soldo,Djorovic and Juric in the defence.

Boban,Asanovic,Stojkovic,Drulovic,Jugovic,Brnovic,Stanic,Zahovic,Prosinecki in the midfield

Boksic,Suker,Mijatovic,Pancev,Milosevic and Savicevic in the attack

so why to have a goalkeeper :)

·
Registered
25,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The national side would have needed a goal keeper because behing every great side there is or was a great keeper. Could you name on great side that has not had a good keepr or at least a decent keeper. I also think that is the reason why Yugo did not qualify for the World Cup this year because the keepers were a disgrace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts