Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be great, the competitive balance would finally be back in European football, rather than the same old teams winning Serie A, La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga, etc.

One possible downside would be the revenues accumaulated for certain big clubs like Chelsea or Real Madrid if they were to get relegated.

·
Registered
580 Posts
nah keep this stuff in america. some market domination is good, but only in moderation (ie, not Chelsea)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A cap would control Chelsea's free spending, it really does get annoying when every big name is linked with them.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
No salary cap in soccer.

Teams receive massive fees for selling players, whereas in other sports you don't just sell guys for a large sum of money.

No cap.

·
Premium Member
27,260 Posts
A salary cap is essential to bring some competition into European football and save it from turning into a battle of shopping sprees between Real, Chelsea and a few other names.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
A cap is necessary. Cap on salaries and cap on transfers. A cap would be a marvellous idea. :thmbup:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think it's good idea too, is crazy to see those with cash only have access to great potential player.While those who arre struggling don't have the privilge or choiece to bring potential to strength their clubs.I am all for it.

·
Premium Member
27,260 Posts
TonyStarks said:
Its not a good idea whatsoever. If you dont have the money to buy big players, than thats too bad!
Well, how about this: "If you don't have the talent, potential, capacity and mentality to produce exceptional players - that's too bad".

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i actually dont mind the idea. Something has to give, and when you see teams like chelsea and real madrid go through players and buying players which are not needed, it does make the game a little less tasty.

If not the salary, then i think there needs to be a limit on foreign players at each club.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
costs have come down in recent years. Even though some hate it, the transfer window plan seems to have worked.

Chelsea's recent buys are a blip....they wont continue as long as they have stability in management. Madrid's however....hopefully they have some sense, considering the purchase of Graveson.

A cap would need to come from FIFA to be effective.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Maybe a cap would look a little too domineering, but sometimes I do wonder how does a player deserve a 80,000 pound a week wage?

What does he do to get that sort of money?

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
karrmadamaii said:
Maybe a cap would look a little too domineering, but sometimes I do wonder how does a player deserve a 80,000 pound a week wage?

What does he do to get that sort of money?
He puts his pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else ;)

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
I don't think it's right to have a salary cap, because at the end of the day, it's the clubs who decide on what wage to put their players. However a transfer cap would be essential as this would stop rich clubs from purchasing every world class player on the planet and would help normal clubs from going bankrupt.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Probably it'd be fair to have a salary cap like they have in most of professional sports in America(NHL is about to start having it). But it is not possible to have it in football, since we have clubs from all over the Europe(I'm only considering Europe, because all the world's riches are there). I don't think there can be an organization strong enough to make all the clubs obey those rules.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
red star forever said:
Well, how about this: "If you don't have the talent, potential, capacity and mentality to produce exceptional players - that's too bad".
Exactly, it would bring back the purpose of youth systems. So many young kids in England have suffered because of EPL teams splurging cash on foreigners, and look at Javier Portillo in Real Madrid, the purchases of Ronaldo and Michael Owen have killed this poor guy's career.

Imagine what a team like Leeds United could have been if they could have kept the likes of Viduka, Kewell, Keane, Bowyer, and Woodgate, they might have won the EPL by now. Or West Ham with Joe Cole, Ferdinand, Lampard, Defoe, and Carrick. Because of all the big spending a good player like Morientes was recently rotting on Real's bench and Scott Parker still rots on Chelsea's bench.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
zack_manutd said:
Let's see, Chelsea would probably have 1 million pounds to spend each year this way! :finger: :D
Check what is their wage bill as the item on their balance sheet and you'll see what Im talking about.....

Putting the cap on transfers would just, in many cases, make small teams sell players for less.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
There is already a salary cap system at some of the big clubs in Europe. Milan has it, Bayern has it and if I am not wrong, Ajax has it as well.

Utd., Real, Juve and Chelsea etc don't have it.

In my personal opinion it is the clubs who should decide how much their stars should be earning. It is a personal issue between the club and the players. What we hear nowadays about Chelsea can be a little worrying as they offer double of what the player is earning without even blinking. However, I really don't mind Chelsea having that leverage. It is their money and they use it as they deem fit. Money doesn't win you games. It is the players who do. The good ones on the pitch.

As far as the youth players being affected by the foreigners coming in and being paid handsomely. Well once again it should not be a deterrent. If a player is good enough then he will get through the ranks to the top. UEFA is planning on curbing this by putting in a limit for locally groomed players to play. We shall have to wait and see how that pans out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts