Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the EPL without this Chelsea?

Watching a declining Arsenal, a rebuilding Man Utd, an intrusor such as Everton and a "lost in space" Liverpool..... the quality of excitment would not be as great IMO.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
khimik said:
1. Manchester United 59pts
2. Arsenal 57pts
3. Everton 48pts
4. Liverpool 43pts

And so on :pp
:tongue:

It certainly won't be half as exciting, Ze.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Well it'd be more exciting because the team at the top wouldn't be winning by such a margin.

The rebuilding Man Utd are my current picks to win the CL so yeah, it'd be fine.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Well it'd be more exciting because the team at the top wouldn't be winning by such a margin.
I was thinking more in terms of Chelsea vs United, Chelsea vs Arsenal etc etc. Besides, if Chelsea weren't top, it would be one of United or Arsenal...same as always. Chelsea on top....good change.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Yeah, you'd miss out on eight big games a season. Then again one more club may have CL revenue to get more competitive so it can work both ways.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Then again one more club may have CL revenue to get more competitive so it can work both ways.
Also true.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
a declining Arsenal? Since when our we declining, half our players are under 21.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If Abramovich would not have taken control of Chelsea, the quality of the EPL would be much less than it is now. Furthermore, without the dealings of Abramovich, the transfer market would have been even less lively, as he was able to kickstart the market with the money he put into signings, such as Mutu and Crespo. So one could argue that Abramovich has helped the state of football in general, however I do not really agree.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
actually i think if abramovish was not around the transfer market would be MORE lively. Simply because, now, any big transfer bid or deal is always in jepardy of being outbided by Chelsea so people are simply scared to buy or sell.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Petros said:
actually i think if abramovish was not around the transfer market would be MORE lively. Simply because, now, any big transfer bid or deal is always in jepardy of being outbided by Chelsea so people are simply scared to buy or sell.
Not really, because the money Abramovich has shipped across Europe with his numerous transfer deals has ended up going towards more activity on the transfer market. Without that money some clubs would not have been able to spend much on transfers.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Andr3w said:
If Abramovich would not have taken control of Chelsea, the quality of the EPL would be much less than it is now. Furthermore, without the dealings of Abramovich, the transfer market would have been even less lively, as he was able to kickstart the market with the money he put into signings, such as Mutu and Crespo. So one could argue that Abramovich has helped the state of football in general, however I do not really agree.
I don't really think millions of pounds that weren't in football before being invested can be anything but good for football.

Someone at another board worked out where Roman's money had gone on a trickle effect and it worked out that four or five English clubs that would have gone into administration otherwise got saved by him. I can't remember the clubs but things like the Damien Duff money allowing Blackburn to save Millwall from administration by buying Steven Reid.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Declining because last season arsenal din´t lose a game, and this season they have already conceeded the league in FEBRUARY. If that is not a decline.... then i don´t know what it is

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Arsenal aren't any worse as a team on their day, they just had insane luck at points last season which they haven't had this. If they and Chelsea both played to full potential I'd still expect Arsenal to win.

That and the overall quality of the PL gets higher every year so the smaller teams are harder to put away.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
What would be the EPL without this Chelsea?

Watching a declining Arsenal, a rebuilding Man Utd, an intrusor such as Everton and a "lost in space" Liverpool..... the quality of excitment would not be as great IMO.
Its difficult to say it would be less exciting as the title race would be closer. The games and off the field incidents between Arsenal and Manu have been pretty entertaining. Just imagine the top spot was actually at stake rather than both of them chasing.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
What would the EPL be like withour Abramovich?

Competitive, probably.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Rob Edwards said:
Arsenal aren't any worse as a team on their day, they just had insane luck at points last season which they haven't had this. If they and Chelsea both played to full potential I'd still expect Arsenal to win.
That, and we've had to put up with ridiculous injuries and various other distractions this season that, thanks to the media, have not helped at all. It's just not our season. We aren't declining at all. Declining is what Deportivo La Coruna are doing. We've stayed the same but have had some almighty horrible pieces of luck (or lack of it) this season.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Declining because last season arsenal din´t lose a game, and this season they have already conceeded the league in FEBRUARY. If that is not a decline.... then i don´t know what it is

'Declining' is a strong word. Even Real Madrid last season doesn't deserve such definition to describe its situation at that time. 'Underachieved' or 'underperformed' is more correct.

Saying 'Arsenal is declining' can be defined in club and team. While the team is 'underachieved', our club actually improved. Our new stadium is in the middle of contruction, our financial status are fine, the profits goes up, sponsors keeps coming and the transfer budget increased.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
A two horse race ....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts