Xtratime Community banner

what would be Australia's squad at the WC

892 views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  katsuben 
#1 ·
With Craig Moore playing his first match for newcastle after the lengthy spell, and Aloisi being our most in form striker at the moment. what would be your choice for Australia's starting XI

#2 ·
well i dont know but i know people will correct me i'm sure.

----------------Mark------------------
Niell-------Moore-----Popociv-----Laza
--------Culina----Grella----------
Bresciano----------------------Kewell
------------Viduka----------------

#4 ·
Terak said:
You'v only got 10 men on the pitch :D

I dunno what it will be, this is what i would do though.

-----------------Kalac--------------------
--------Neill----Moore----Vidmar----------
-Emerton----------------------Lazarides-
------------Grella---Cahill-----------------
----Bresciano------------Kewell-----------
---------------Viduka--------------------

Thats the most reliable back 3 we have IMO, Popo is pretty poor nowdays.Emerton as a RW isnt a good idea but i think he's alot better in a more defensive position, who else is there?.In my book theres no way Chipper's is better than Stan, he's so enthusiastic and energetic, puts in a quality cross and doesnt forget about his defensive duties.Grella's our only destroyer and has been good at it in a Aussie shirt atleast, Cahill is touch and go, if he doesnt score or assist the game just passes him by, he's a luxury and its probably abit dangerous playing him deep if Grella's doing a man marking job, if i picked Culina Tim would be the 1st out, but he's a matchwinner.The attacking Trio is our strong point if they all deliver, or if Dukes is up for it is more my point, i hope theres no more Harry experiments.

#5 ·
I don't know about Emerton. couldn't Grella play a defensive role with Culina coming in. Sometimes i think Viduka needs a strike partner with some pace to feed off him, he's great for holding up the ball and threading it through. and Aloisi has been on fire lately.

----------------Schwarzer--------------------
---------Neill-----Moore-----Vidmar-----------
--Grella-----------------------------Culina------
-------Bresciano-------------kewell-----------
-------------------Cahill---------------------
--------Viduka---------------Aloisi-----------

eh, Guus will know what to do

#6 ·
Terak said:

----------------Mark------------------
----Niell-------Moore-----Popociv-----
--------Culina----Grella----------
Bresciano-------Cahill------Kewell
--------Viduka---Alosi-------------
Better?

#7 ·
id like us to play like this

.....................................schwazer

......emerton.........neill.................moore...............chipperfield

..................................grella

........................bresciano.......cahill.............kewell

........................viduka..............aloisi

but well most likely line up like this:

................................schwazer

.....................neill.........moore.......popovic/vidmar

....emerton..................grella...................................chipperfield

...................bresciano......cahill/culina..........kewell

................................viduka

#12 ·
King of the Kop said:
You'v only got 10 men on the pitch :D

I dunno what it will be, this is what i would do though.

-----------------Kalac--------------------
--------Neill----Moore----Vidmar----------
-Emerton----------------------Lazarides-
------------Grella---Cahill-----------------
----Bresciano------------Kewell-----------
---------------Viduka--------------------

Thats the most reliable back 3 we have IMO, Popo is pretty poor nowdays.Emerton as a RW isnt a good idea but i think he's alot better in a more defensive position, who else is there?.In my book theres no way Chipper's is better than Stan, he's so enthusiastic and energetic, puts in a quality cross and doesnt forget about his defensive duties.Grella's our only destroyer and has been good at it in a Aussie shirt atleast, Cahill is touch and go, if he doesnt score or assist the game just passes him by, he's a luxury and its probably abit dangerous playing him deep if Grella's doing a man marking job, if i picked Culina Tim would be the 1st out, but he's a matchwinner.The attacking Trio is our strong point if they all deliver, or if Dukes is up for it is more my point, i hope theres no more Harry experiments.
always been a fan of lazza,he usualy does put in a decent cross and imo is so good when comming back.great defence qualities,altho im not sure gus has him in mind for the 1st 11.

our defence is always the toughest selection.popa i find can be slow and at times has a terrible temper (see recoba slap) altho he was pretty fantastic in that 1st leg.moore is also on the slow side but is a great one on one tackle

the only shoe in for the defence i think is Niell,hes a calm head..nice passer of the ball who can work it into the mids, a natural leader to on the feild.

i think i would go with the Dredg lineup!

#13 ·
stralian said:
Popovic can't do shit. i'd rather see Thwaite in there. and why don't we hear anything about Eddy Bosnar.
Cos he's rubbish.

My team;

------------Schwarzer--------------
-------Neill----Moore---Vidmar-----
Emerton------------------------Kewell
---------------Grella----------------
-Culina--------Cahill-------Bresciano
--------------Viduka---------------

Kewell as a wingback? That's where he made his debut for Australia, I suppose.

#17 ·
Does this sound about right?

The Squad
----------

Goalkeepers: Schwarzer, Kalac, Covic

Defenders: Moore, Neill, Vidmar, Popovic, Milicevic, Beauchamp, Emerton, Chipperfield

Midfielders: Grella, Culina, Skoko, Cahill, Bresciano, Kewell

Forwards: Viduka, Aloisi, Thompson

Plus 3 squad players, most realistically from: Thwaite, McKain, Kisnorbo, Wilkshire, Lazaridis, Elrich, Sterjovski, Carney, Griffiths, McDonald, Holman.

Plus 3 backup replacements, apparently from the U-23s, so most realistically from: Vukovic, Leijer, Dilevski, Milligan, Musialik, Zadkovich, Ward

#19 ·
Assuming Beauchamp does indeed get picked over McKain, Kisnorbo or Thwaite, I reckon the final three will be Wilkshire, Lazaridis and Griffiths/Holman.

Carney might push for a spot if he gets a free transfer to Aachen sorted out immediately and then gets some quality match practice. Elrich and McDonald hurt themselves by being pretty much limited to one position. Holman and Griffiths are more adaptable.

Of the wannabe Olympians, seems Leijer, Milligan, Dilevski, Zadkovich and Ward are the most likely, i.e. the most adaptable. I don't see any need for a fourth 'keeper.

#21 ·
Yeah, I don't see him competing at the international level as a striker, or as a wingback which might be the other role you'd expect an attacking flanker to play. Carney seems to have more upside in the currently favoured system, given that he can play both flanks. I'm not sure taking Wilkshire would be smart, but at least he can cover Emerton & Grella, whereas Elrich might only be useful as a late sub against a tiring team.

All speculation! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.