Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Options:

I will be dead before he stops playing.

·
Banned
110 Posts
I honestly thought it would have been Euro 2008...

Hopefully it won't be any longer than 2009 Confederation Cup.

That would be 12 years after the tournament between Italy, Brazil and France in 1997 when ADP was being hailed as a future best player in the world.

Does Brazil have any players from that team still hanging on? Nope!

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
better idea.

What happens first:

1.) Del Piero stops playing for Italy

2.) Raul stops playing in the starting XI for Real Madrid.

3.) Cristiano Ronaldo grows a pair.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Once Rossi and Giovinco are in full flight DP will be fully gone.

Wish he would retire and just worry bout juve.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
they will never be in full flight till Del Piero is around! :scared:
del piero is coming off a great season, leading goal scorer, and he was in form. Add to that he has experience at NT level. Compared to many others who could be taking his place, they do not have that. I see that being the reason he is there right now. I'm not agreeing taht he should be there though.

For me I would have Cassano and Rossi there instead. In fact, both would probably start in my team.

Overclass, there is nothing wrong with playing in la liga. Vieri played there and had a brilliant season and proved his worth at the 1998 WC. players who play in spain, germany, england or france and do well are good enough to play for the NT in my opinion.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
I haven't got a bad word to say about Alex for what he's done for Juve naturally, but his time is up - it's been that way for a good while.

All it takes is a CT with some balls.

·
Registered
46,345 Posts
del piero is coming off a great season, leading goal scorer, and he was in form. Add to that he has experience at NT level. Compared to many others who could be taking his place, they do not have that. I see that being the reason he is there right now.
Of course, these are the reasons.
But:
1-in spite of the form with Juventus he was useless with the NT so one has to wonder how useless he could be for the NT be when he is not in form.
2-even Gigi Riva has experience at NT level but he is not going to play in the world cup 2010
3-we need the new players to get the experience

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I say again....only Italy would have Giovinco and Rossi messing around with kids

Imagine the experience they would be gettin with DiNatale Pirlo and Cameronesi ahead of them. then whats gonna happen? They r suddenly gonna b put in th eline up and expected to play well for u people. With no experience?

Whatever man....only Italy

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I voted for Del Piero for life also...he'll still be playin when he's on crutches...andnot just these two...what of Santacroce? But again....only Italy

·
Banned
110 Posts
Yes, only Italy. The team that is only the World Cup Champion, only has won two world cups in the last 7 World Cups, only one vice-champion, and only one third place finish. Only Italy, who suffered some ill fate in dropping what should have been their 2nd Euro in 2000. Only Italy, a team that is competitive enough to be amongst the favorites of every tournament it enters.

Clearly Italian coaches should drop the time-tested virtues of integrating new players slowly, with caution, and allowing them to experience the atmosphere of the men's team through the eyes of it's veterans.

We should just throw all the promising young players into one team and cut the old guys because their experience is useless.

Only Italy.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
I would prefer if he wasn't picked, and his place go to a younger player. The rational of keeping him, is that he is our supersub, unless I'm reading it wrong?

However I also agree that its kind of pointless arguing with a world cup winning coach, so what do we know?

Del Piero might be a good role player in Lippi's eyes, someone who is good on the bench, in the locker room. A player that is respected by his teammates and opponents alike. He contributes to the team, without scoring or setting foot on the pitch.

Lastly, I like how we slowly break in players. It shows them that playing for the Azzurri is an honour, and such opportunities should be taken seriously.

Take a look at our history, and players stepping up, virtually coming from no where to become unlikely stars.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Of course, these are the reasons.
But:
1-in spite of the form with Juventus he was useless with the NT so one has to wonder how useless he could be for the NT be when he is not in form.
2-even Gigi Riva has experience at NT level but he is not going to play in the world cup 2010
3-we need the new players to get the experience
i dont disagree with anything you have stated. I'm a huge fan of playing younger stars and giving them opportunities.

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
Yes, only Italy. The team that is only the World Cup Champion, only has won two world cups in the last 7 World Cups, only one vice-champion, and only one third place finish. Only Italy, who suffered some ill fate in dropping what should have been their 2nd Euro in 2000. Only Italy, a team that is competitive enough to be amongst the favorites of every tournament it enters.

Clearly Italian coaches should drop the time-tested virtues of integrating new players slowly, with caution, and allowing them to experience the atmosphere of the men's team through the eyes of it's veterans.

We should just throw all the promising young players into one team and cut the old guys because their experience is useless.

Only Italy.
What are you talking about man? Santacroce, Montolivo, Giovinco, Rossi, Balotelli vs Georgia!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts