Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple of years when people asked us what our biggest strength was, the simple answer was "Our defense". Hyypia and Henchoz were the best central defensive partnership in the league by a distance for over three years. But now they have become a weakness. Hyypia has lost the plot completely and has become a huge liability in the centre of our defense. He was never quick to begin with but somehow he has gotten slower over the last 18 months. He has also lost the dominance he once enjoyed in the air. He mistimes tackles, he misplaces passes, he lets players run past him without even making an effort to stop them. He is simply not Liverpool FC material anymore. It's definitly time to say goodbye to Sami this summer.

Beside him is Henchoz, easily the best defender we've had since Hansen, a man with no fear who thinks nothing of flinging himself infront of shots etc. A brilliant man-marker, his record against RVN, Henry and Shearer is outstanding. you can count the amount of goals they've scored between them, while being marked by Henchoz, on one hand, and still have fingers left over. But injuries have slowed him and affected his game. He's still our best defender, but if we want to make a serious title challenge next season, I don't think he's the man to marshall our defense UNLESS, he has an injury end to the season, AND a young quick partner in the central of the defense. Maybe we should look to the longterm, and we should let him go to Stuttgard at the end of the season.

At rightback we have Finnan, while i think we should have gone for Steven Carr last summer, Finnan is a good player who can defend and attack. No problem with him.

Left back is another problem area. Carra is a great defender and is a true scouser, Liverpool through and through, he never has and never will let anyone down, but i don't think he's the answer to our problems. IMO Carra should be our number 1 backup across the defense.

Riise is a favourite of mine but has lost all confidence in his defending ability. A back up midfield role is what I'd pencil him in for. Maybe as the longterm succesor to Didi in central midfield.

Traore is a centre back and provides good back for us.

Vignal is a good player, but not good enough IMO to start at LB for LFC. Backup LB.

Now, I personnaly think that we are set for next season in the positions of Goalkeeper(Dudek, Kirkland), and Striker(Owen, Cisse, Baros, Sinama, and Mellor).

I also believe we have our midfield sorted with Le Tallec the man to fill the right wing spot, giving us Le Tallec, Hamann, Gerrard, Kewell, and we have good backup in midfield(Diao, Riise, Cheyrou, Diuof, Murphy, Smicer).

So basically i think we need to sell Hyypia, Henchoz and Heskey, and buy three defenders in order to have a team capable of winning the title. Those three would bring in about £15million IMO, i reckon the board will give another £10million after the signing of Cisse, so with £25million to spend, I'd move for Dawson, Mexes or Van Buyton(£5million), Jankulovski(£8million) and Metzelder(£12million). Giving us a team of:

Dudek/Kirkland
Finnan-****-Metzelder-Jankulovski
LeTallec-Hamann-Gerrard-Kewell
Cisse-Owen

**** = Dawson, Mexes or Van Buyton

we'd have a reserve team of:

Kirkland/Dudek
Otsemobor-Carra-Medjani-Vignal
Diouf-Diao-Riise-Cheyrou
Sinama-Baros

and we'd have Biscan, Traore, Whitbread, Murphy, Smicer, Mellor and a number of other young players in the squad as well.

Then, of course, the number one aim becomes resigning Michael Owen. If we don't make CL, i think we should try and get him to sign a one year extenson with the agreement, that if we fail to get CL again, he can go for £25million, but if we do qualify he signs for 5 years.

If we do have to sell him this summer, i'd like to see him replaced with Torres from Ath.Madrid.

I know this went from talking about our defense, to being a prospective transfer thread, but it all seemed to flow as i was typing it.

Oh, also, these signings are not thought of with Ged being the manager in mind. I was thinking more along the lines of Jose Mourinho as boss for next season.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
changed your mind on Denoueix now Doc?

i think it would be a mistake to bring Cissé in if Owen stays ,i'd prefer Owen/Kewell

your defence looks good,Mexes will be dirt cheap and is a different class to the other two IMO(Dawson looks a donkey to me),i'd also look at bringing in another midfielder to replace Hamann,someome more mobile who can hunt in packs with Gerrard.

then you'd just need a left wing,your defence would make your team miles more fluent though because Mexes,Metz and Janku can all play,every time i watch Hyppia and Carragher get the ball it's like something got clogged up in the machine,they struggle with the ball and pass in straight lines
:rolleyes: we have the same at the Arse with Campbell but you can get away with one,when Traore plays Liverpool sometimes have four non footballers :eek:

after that it's just get to work on the training pitch. :cool:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have heard a whisper that Deneouix may get the French NT job after Euro 2004. He's also being linked with the Madrid and Barca jobs, i reckon Mourinho would be easier to get.

I like Kewell and Owen, but the Cisse deal is done. IF Owen leaves i think another striker will be brought in to replace him(i'd like Torres, but thinking about it now, I'd prefer Eto'o).

I'd leave Kewell on the left, it's his natural position and if we can get Le Tallec playing well then the two of them could be brilliant.

I wouldn't swap Didi for anyone except Vieira, he has been brilliant this season since his return from injury. Magnificant against Everton on Saturday. Didi's presence allows Gerrard to play a move roaming Ballack-type role.

I'd agree on Mexes being better than Dawson and Van Buyton, but it depends on who goes for him. If Juve and Real move for him we might have a tough time getting him. Dawson is good IMO and will be a better defender than Rio in a few years.

·
63,337 Posts
I like Hamann also but i just don't think you need a bloke to sit that deep in our League,i think the same of Makelele,it's just my personal choice,i prefer midfielders to press up the pitch,more chance of an easy ball to Owen for a goal.

I'm thinking of the way Liverpool played against the Arse for an hour with a flat midfield,if you can upset Edu and Gilberto like that,think what you'd do to the rest of the mediocre opposition in the EPL.

Dawson looked a hoofer when i've seen him,only for the U-21s though,i don't watch Nationwide football

:tongue:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's important for us to play Didi. IMO, if we had pacy defenders who could pass the ball, we'd see a different Didi, perhaps the Didi who plays for Germany, in a role 10 yards further up the pitch were he can act as a deep Redondo-esque playmaker. If Didi plays that role, and we have Le Tallec and Kewell creating from wide positions, and Gerrard roaming about, i think we'd create huge amounts of chances for our strikers.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
The thing i really hate about this is that odds are little will be changed in the summer and the clearout wont come.There was meant to be a clear out last summer and nothing happened.

-Finnan is the only defender i would keep in defence at LFC right now.Carra, Medjani, Raven, Vignal, Otsemobor would stay as backup.In would come Mexes and Metzelder for the middle of defence as you said, Mexes would be cheap and Dortmund ar ein the red.For left back i dont see Janulovski coming, instead i would bring in Lizarazu on a free for a year until he can be replaced the following summer.Or if able i would bring Evra in this summer.Riise would be Kept and can have another chance.

IN-Metzelder, Mexes, Lizarazu.Alternative is Hofland.

OUT-Babbel, Hyypia, Henchoz, Biscan.

-Le Tallec is looking like he could be the answer to the right wing.I'll go mad if Diouf gets put back there when he returns.With our new formation of 1 DM(Didi) and 4 pushing on Gerrard, Cheyrou-Le Tallec-Kewell(The latter three interchanging) i dont htink we need much in midfield.I think Smicer would thrive in games like against Everton.There are whispers that we are in talks with VDV about a move this summer.Long shot but...Also Welsh and even Potter should be given a go.

IN-VDV

OUT-Diao, Diouf, Murphy, Partridge.

-Attack, If we want to continue this formation im not sure about Owen ? I want him to sign an extension now and sell him in the summer so we cant be held to ransom.Cisse, Baros, Pongolle is enough when there is a lone striker.We are being linked with Kezman who is leaving PSV.I dont want him.

IN-Cisse.

OUT-Owen, Mellor.

Now, it's drastic and wont happen but this would be the squad.
========================
Keepers=Dudek-Kirkland-Luzi

Defence=Metzelder, Carra, Mexes, Lizarazu, Vignal, Medjani, Otsemobor, Raven, Riise.

Young and inexperienced somewhat but i think we need to start again, H and H have been at the heart of the "5 Year plan" and i think it's time for a new era and assault.

Midfield=Le Tallec, Gerrard, Hamann, Welsh, Van Der Vaart, Cheyrou, Kewell, Riise, Smicer.

Attack=Cisse, Pongolle, Baros.Plus Kewell, Cheyrou, VDV being able to play upfront.

Bear in mind this is all to Ged's new flat four, 1 holder and 4 on rushing mids and a striker.Gerrard being the withdrawn of the 4 mids.

As i say, it's not going to happen(Not necessarily with these players, but there wont be a clear out and new blood coming in IMO) I wont be suprised if for the first match of next season Finnan, H, H and Carra are our defence.

Fun dreaming though

·
63,337 Posts
Is Le Tallec a winger though? maybe he can work on defensive skills while he is still young and be the long term replacement for Hamann

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K.O.T.K:
1) I wouldn't want Lizarazu, even on a free, he's been pretty poor for the last year or so and IMO would be a step backwards. I'd rather play Riise or Vignal.
2) Jankulowski is becoming more of an option IMO. Inter don't want him now because they have Stankovic and Juve seem to have cooled on him because Zambrotta is playing brilliantly and Camoranesi has signed a new deal. Plus they seem set on the other player you mention, Evra.
3) IF(and it's a big if) Owen leaves, then VDV might be an option to play just off Cisse, but i'd prefer Eto'o or Torres and have 2 strikers to be honest.
4) Definitly wouldn't sell Diouf,and Diao, we'll need them as backup. If we want to challenge on all fronts we'll need a big squad. I forgot Welsh for some reason, so I'd sell Murphy.
5) This 4-2-3-1 formation is only a temporary thing IMO, once Baros, Sinama and Heskey are fit, we'll go back to 4-4-2.
6) If Ged is in charge, we may see the exact same squad with Cisse IN and Owen OUT being the only change.

Jern:
1) Le Tallec can play wide or central
2) He'll never be able to play Didi's role, whatever about having Gerrard in Didi's role and Le Tallec as the attacking CM, it'll never happen the other way around.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
The 1st post by doc_rule was excellent!

1st time in a post he isnt biased or just post points!:D :tongue:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alex Ferguson said:
Denoueix will somehow win you the league in the first season and get you relegated in the second!
Deneouix has never AND WILL NEVER get a team relegated. He's a brilliant manager.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alex Ferguson said:
by the way, youre talking out of your arse again..henchoz never was and never will be a good defender..you used to play with a 1-9-1 formation thats it
Nonsense, Henchoz is STILL better than any defender Manure have. Best defender in the league for a number of years, easily still in the top 5.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Didn't he get sacked before he had chance to get Nantes sacked?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No he left because they sold off all the top players and gave him no money to replace them, he ripped into the board and chairman on a number of occasions accusing them of sabotaging the club in order to fill their pockets. It was called mutual consent, fact is he resigned and hadn't been near the club in over a week when the club made the announcement. He won them the league in his first season(after they nearly got relegated the year before), he could have brought them into division 4 and not got sacked on league form. What he did at Sociedad last year is a greater accomplishment than anything Houllier has done at Liverpool. Taking Sociedad to second fromwhere they were when he took over is the equivalant of taking over Portsmouth now and getting them to second next season.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The only big players to leave were Eric Carriere and Salomon Olembe and even then he had loaned out Olembe the year before (didn't he?) (he released a few like Alionue Toure and Armand One.

Of course he did get to replace them with big players at the time like Victor Bonilla and Mario Yepes (who was being tracked by the big italian clubs).

Didn't they also beat us to the signing of Oliver Quint?

You're right, must have been poverty stricken

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mario Yepes?? decidely average. Victor Bonilla??? less than average. Yes they are big players, HUGE TALENTS easily capable of replacing the best player in the league(Carriere) and Olembe. Others left as well because the club wouldn't renew their contracts, he didn't release them.

Oliver Quint?? please he was another one of Houllier's "signings for the future", about the same level of quality as Traore.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts