Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Trap wouldn't do, The Gods Of Football did: Albertini is out of the World Cup.

Milan's veteran Demetrio Albertini got injured in his achilles yesterday and will have to stay out of action for the next 2-3 months. That's bad news for Albertini but very good news for Italy since this opens up the sure space this waste of time and player would occupy in the Italian team.

I'm quite sure Trap is going to include someone like Di Livio or Conte instead, but my personal choice to replace Albertini is obvious: Massimo Ambrosini. If not him then perhaps Fiore (who has played some good games lately) or even Eugenio Corini of Chievo who is simply the best regista in the league.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, Trap has called 4 more players after along with Albertini also Materazzi and Iuliano pulled out of the team. Materazzi and Iuliano are not seriously injured though. Anyhow, the 4 new players:

Daniele Bonera (Brescia)
Massimo Ambrosini (Milan)
Stefano Fiore (Lazio)
Alessio Tacchinardi (Juventus)

Also Parma's Marco Di Vaio is on stand-by in case Vieri has to pull out...

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
He hasn't had a good season and Ambrosini is definitely my #1 choice too, but it is a loss, he is one of the better subs for Max(funny how not long ago I considered Max to be Albertini's sub :D ). Now we might see frauds like Gattuso or Tacchinardi(he got called up for the next game) play in his place. :(

since this opens up the sure space this waste of time and player would occupy in the Italian team.
This is a very heavy statement too, I wonder if you saw England-Italy where he brought our midfield back to order when he came on, like he always has.
Remember he had a very patchy season too before Euro2000 in which he played very well(like he always does for the Nazionale) and was the unquestionable man of the match against Romania in the 1/4 final(only Totti's performance came close).

Albertini may not ever play in the Nazionale again and this thread is not a very good way to show respect to a one of the players who has been so influential in our performances throughout the 90s and early years of the 21st century.

Thanks Demetrio, the fans will definitely not forget you. :proud:

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have half a mind to change the title of this thread. It sounded a little disrespectful to Albertini, who after all did contribute much to the national squad, even if he wasn't an exceptional player like Paolo Maldini or Roberto Baggio.

Of the choices Amoroso listed, I would like to see Trap pick Ambrosini & Tacchinardi. Ambrosini is pretty solid in midfield, & generally Tacchinardi is decent too.

I'm sorry Albertini won't be able to play for WC. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, but I never really rated Albertini and I genuinely think only reason he has been in the Azzuri for so long was his Milan-hype. In WC94 for examble Dino Baggio was absolutely delightfull in midfield (he also scored 3 goals!) but everyone was going on and on about how important Albertini is. So to sum it up, he never really deserved a his hype with the Azzuri and he certainly does not deserve his place in the team now.

Regarding Euro2000, the way Italy was playing, everyone who could make a pass (even only 2 meters away like Albertini always does) would seem like a genious.

I don't rate Albertini, I never did, and it's good he won't be going. He got his place only based on hype (and possibly Milan influence on selection) and on top of that a hype he never really deserved.

Thats my opinion and Jun Lei, please don't change the title of my topic. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think it's kind of sad for Albertini. Though he hasn't been on top this season, he would have been useful for the team even if he wasn't considered a starter. This would have been Albertini's last WC and being aware of this must just make it more painful for him.

I also think it's kind of sad to be joyful of others misfortune.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
ok guys , he is a good player.

Catanaccio is for Albertini, who can spray it good then, ... and I m rather not in favour for him, as Trap is more attacking minded. Tacchinardi, my choice, can integrate better.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Amo,
That is very un-classy of you to be happy for a player to be injured and miss by the same token the world Cup. Just think for a while: he may not have his best season, that's a fact that can't be denied, however, his experience is unvaluable for the Azzuri. Nor Di Biaggio, nor Tommasi have the experience he has. That's a very important loss to Italy, and i have to say i'm very sad for Albertini and very dissapointed by your approach Amo. Very sad...

TORNA PRESTO DEMETRIO!

·
Registered
13,162 Posts
I just feel bad for the guy. He seemed to play really inspired vs. England in blue recently and he's a classy guy. I wish him the best. I guess Fiore is his logical replacement.....will Trapp use him as a central midfielder, a la Albertini, or as a backup playmaker to Totti, even tho we have Doni now, too?

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me get this right Payman. Till now Albertini was in the team because he was such a wonderfull play-maker ( :rolleyes: ) and had such a fine tactical ability and now that he has been sucking as hell he would go because he's... experienced? Fine, then let's just take Di Livio and Conte in the World Cup. They're only completely average but hey, they're experienced. It's only good for Italy that an average, old, washed up player (who never was anything special to begin with) having a lame season is not going to the World Cup. Since the coach did not have the balls to drop him, something had to happen.

Let's face it, in football the old and useless horses are being shot down. Germany did not do that with Matthaus at the European Championship and they're still regretting it.

Someone decent like Ambrosini might go instead, though I doubt it, barring other injuries this will be Trap's team:

Goalkeepers: Buffon, Toldo, Abbiati

Defenders: Nesta, Materazzi, Maldini, Cannavaro, Iuliano, Panucci

Midfielders: Zambrotta, Tommasi, Gattuso, Di Biagio, Zanetti, Doni, Pessotto, Coco

Forwards: Totti, Del Piero, Montella, Inzaghi, Vieri, Delvecchio

·
Registered
184 Posts
Agree with Amorosso

Everybody remembers DiBiagio missing the World Cup penalty kick against France. Didn't Albertini also miss in that same shootout? Yet, nobody seems to remember that. I never understood why everyone singles out DiBiagio, so I needed to get that dig in.

More to the point, didn't everyone say that Italy's weakness in both 94 and 98 was the midfield?
So why would we want carry overs from a midfield that was not up to the task then? Particularly, from a player who has been out of form for some time. Why all of this sentimentality for a player who has been no more than adequate even at his best? Why wouldn't we want new blood in the positions that were less than stellar in the past? That is the only way to get a better team.

If anything, Albertini should be the grateful one, having played in two world cups and many other international competitions without having demonstrated superior skills. I always felt he was the beneficiary of being Paolo Maldini's friend. I stil think that Paolo's influence as captain helped Albertini secure a regular spot on the Azzurri. Put Albertini on a team outside of Milan/Rome/Torino and I doubt he would have ever attracted attention.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More to the point, didn't everyone say that Italy's weakness in both 94 and 98 was the midfield?
So why would we want carry overs from a midfield that was not up to the task then? Particularly, from a player who has been out of form for some time. Why all of this sentimentality for a player who has been no more than adequate even at his best? Why wouldn't we want new blood in the positions that were less than stellar in the past? That is the only way to get a better team.

If anything, Albertini should be the grateful one, having played in two world cups and many other international competitions without having demonstrated superior skills. I always felt he was the beneficiary of being Paolo Maldini's friend. I stil think that Paolo's influence as captain helped Albertini secure a regular spot on the Azzurri. Put Albertini on a team outside of Milan/Rome/Torino and I doubt he would have ever attracted attention.
Exactly! :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Lets face it, Albertini is a washed up old fart and this is the best that can happen to the Italian NT, now we can see someone who can actually give the Italian NT his best, someone like Ambrosini.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think that Albertini's experience was important for the NT. In big tournaments it is a important factor. The only other experienced players on that position are Conte and Di Biagio. Considering there performances this season, it has to be Di Biagio. But if we consider talent it should be Ambrosini. I don't know if Fiore is a replacement for Albertini. He seems another type of player.

·
Registered
13,162 Posts
I really don't want to see Conte in there and I have my strong reservations about DiBiagio, altho he looks like an altogether different player these days - very confident. Tommasi is also reaching his finest form lately. Imagine this:

Zambrotta Fiore Tommasi Doni
Totti
Vieri Montella
COOL :cool:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
almost PRIMO

Zambrotta - Fiore - Tommasi - Doni

--------------- Totti

----Vieri/Montella ---- Del Piero

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Like azar n Payman,I'm also disappointed with some of you who seems to enjoy Albertini's misfortune.He might have a bad season this year but facts has shown he is one of Italy's and Milan's influential player.It's 'unappropriate' to treat a player such as Albertini this way :(

Albertini might not be in the Azzurri team anymore.As their fans we ought to mourn not celebrate this moment.

Thank you Demetrio Albertini...I'll never forget you :proud:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
baresi said:
I always felt he was the beneficiary of being Paolo Maldini's friend. I stil think that Paolo's influence as captain helped Albertini secure a regular spot on the Azzurri.
I wonder why Costacurta doesn't get the same treatment as he's Maldini's friend too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
This is sad news for Albertini, Italy and all soccer followers around the world. Such a great player does not deserve this. Remember when Sacchi said Albertini makes Italy "tick"? It may not seem like he does much for club and country, but he is one of the main parts of the engine room.

I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts