Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the whole man utd vs liverpool saga. And really, man utd have come on very hard on you guys. Most pool fans in the mid 90s wouldn't believe that man utd one day would only be 1 league title behind you guys. Nevermind the poolfans in the 80s, todays society must be devastating for them. :eek:

While they have reaped for succes pool has been "hiding". Recent succes in europe for pool was much needed to have the credibility as the biggest team in england. The mancs won it this year, I don't think they will win next but they sure have the players to be in it for the next 5 years. They are very near to having a dominant period like Milan had some years ago.

Pool isn't looking likely to win the PL. The CL maybe cause it's still a cup-format and it requires luck, as you all know. The question is; Should Pool accept the reality that man utd will level you out domestically and probably surpass you or should Pool set some higher standards on their team, their coach, the players they get etc?

It is quite embarrasing that a team that was minus 9 leagues caught you up. Usually a big team don't let things slip out of their hands for more than 2-3 years. Take serie a or la liga for example. If Real/Juve/Milan/Barca don't win the league in 3-4 years there will be riots and complete overhauls might occur. But I've never seen this with Pool. What's your take on that?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I was thinking about the whole man utd vs liverpool saga. And really, man utd have come on very hard on you guys. Most pool fans in the mid 90s wouldn't believe that man utd one day would only be 1 league title behind you guys. Nevermind the poolfans in the 80s, todays society must be devastating for them. :eek:

While they have reaped for succes pool has been "hiding". Recent succes in europe for pool was much needed to have the credibility as the biggest team in england. The mancs won it this year, I don't think they will win next but they sure have the players to be in it for the next 5 years. They are very near to having a dominant period like Milan had some years ago.

Pool isn't looking likely to win the PL. The CL maybe cause it's still a cup-format and it requires luck, as you all know. The question is; Should Pool accept the reality that man utd will level you out domestically and probably surpass you or should Pool set some higher standards on their team, their coach, the players they get etc?

It is quite embarrasing that a team that was minus 9 leagues caught you up. Usually a big team don't let things slip out of their hands for more than 2-3 years. Take serie a or la liga for example. If Real/Juve/Milan/Barca don't win the league in 3-4 years there will be riots and complete overhauls might occur. But I've never seen this with Pool. What's your take on that?
Being a virgin with a hole 4 and 1/2 inches of man meat might be hard but please dont take it out on Liverpool fans.

Crap thread, did you wake up and thinking "what's the shittest thread i can make today on xtratime(also known as "life")" or what?

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I see, you want to play the "I just pretend I didn't read that cause it hurts and it's true and instead I'll attack the poster" :)

Sorry for ruining your dreamworld.

Ps. don't wake up, the reality might take a hit on you ds.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
it's a fair question as to how many winless seasons will it take until there's a complete overhaul at Liverpool. On the other hand though, one must support the manager and hope that his long term plans will make the current drought all worth it.

Don't expect too many replies from Liverpool fans.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the serious reply.

Obviously, trust is the key. You have to trust the manager and the players as it can pay off. But as we all know, football has become a business enterprise and think of it this way, how many business enterprises would have faith in their VD despite failure to achieve the primary goal? I make a reference to the business world cause it really is true. Look at man utd, they had success, they got more fans = more fame and money. So the question is, how much is pool going to lose until they realise that their system is wrong and it's not working (if you compare to what pool should be winning and it's potential).

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Being a virgin with a hole 4 and 1/2 inches of man meat might be hard but please dont take it out on Liverpool fans.

Crap thread, did you wake up and thinking "what's the shittest thread i can make today on xtratime(also known as "life")" or what?
What? You must be a complete tool.

As for the original thread topic, yes it is disgraceful that it's got to this stage. People can point the finger at Souness, Ged and Benitez, and I often do but it is plain and simple that although Moores and Parry are respectable men with integrity, their leadership has caused this. Relativeley speaking, the club is in the doldrums and has been ever since the 90's, and both these men will take these failings to their graves I hope. Remember Parry's quote "You only get to sell the family silver once, so you better get it right", or Moores saying "I know i've made the right decision."? A pair of fools they are.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have there ever been protests against the current leaders (Moores, parry)? Poolfans are known to be very passionate about their team but it's very strange to me that they haven't done anything that say, barcafans, would've done if it came to this.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Nah, they're not as demanding of the owners as Barca or Real Madrid fans that's for sure. But although you don't see many active protests against Parry, you'd be hard pressed to find a Liverpool fan who supports him. Despite most Liverpool fans would back Parry compared to Hicks, as Hicks' comments about Parry in that 'fireside' chat were just embarrassing, only word for it.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting. Have the current board expressed any kind of plan on how to compete for the title in the coming 3 years or they just go with the one they have? I mean, in hope that benitez does it before it goes so long? I remember with Houllier, he had a 5-year plan (correct?) when he said that in 5 years he will win the title. So are there something similiar with benitez?

·
Registered
28,738 Posts

I agree with you that it is disgraceful that a BIG club with a big history goes without winning its domestic prize for so long, but to be fair the cycle of dominance in English football has always been longer and more drawn out than in Italy or Spain. We are currently in a horrible drought of 18 going 19 years without a league, United went 26 years. But that does not legislate for the ineptitude that we have shown and our lack of success.

Personally there is a lot of people to blame but fundamentally you look at the top and there you see a confused man in David Moores, someone who don't get me wrong loves the club but isn't a model figure to run a club and does not seem intelligent enough to yield change and help a club out of the doldrums. This is no more apparent than the fact he has endorsed Rick Parry as Chief Executive for 10 years and let the incompetency spew to very bad levels with the horrible thought out takeover and the fiasco known as the new stadium. To put it shortly the club has sat on its arse for way too long and doesn't have the leaders to change or propel it high enough.

The highest ranking person to yield a change IMO is Benitez because he has vision and ideas but I doubt the effectiveness of his football ideas on English football a lot. The excuses are getting thinner and the window of security is getting a lot less thinner. The time to deliver is always suggested to be now, but in reality we always find excuses and whatever to legislate for that, which is a proper bummer.

I do hope we can maintain this one last record, but this hope will dwindle with the reality that based on what has preceded in the past 20 years, we cannot really have optimism. The Once Great Liverpool is no more than an after thought nowadays when it comes to the big prizes and the big occassions and to tell you the truth based on the recent history you cannot really argue against this point.

Valdrin you **********, you made me even more miserable before this season :moan::cry:

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sorry to hear I've made you sad arfy, really not my intention :(.

I remember when the whole Parmalat-scandal broke out and we parmafans didn't know what was to come. It was frightening times and none of us wanted to accept the new reality. Nor did we ever think that we one day would be so shit as we are right now. Obviously we can't compare to pool as we're not and were never a big club but we did have a great team with some of the finest players in modern time. Even today I have it hard to swallow that we no longer attract the likes of Thuram, Crespo but Corradi and (old) Couto.

I understand about the dominant period in england and how it differs from italy/spain but to be fair it's the same thing in italy too. Juve has always been the team. Inter and Milan after. They both had their succesfull periods but never to touch juve domestically. Before their first scudetto since 89, Inter had such an amazing pressure to win the title. Moratti would buy 10 new attackers each season :D. He would fire 4 coaches during half the season :D. To be fair, Inter would've won it alot earlier if it wasn't for the obvious cheating by juve. So in a way, the "abnormal" pressure that was put on Inter actually worked. They did get it right eventually (in 97 when they came second, to a cheating juve) it's just that the refs and juve had other plans and you can never compete against that.

So it's kind of strange to see pool in such a "quite" moment, the fans are passionate as they could possible be. And as shaggy said, the board have probably the least support, yey nothing is done. Abit strange.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
The pressure was on Parry and Moores, they dug there heels in and sold when they were told to show there balls, they crapped themselves after blowing DIC off by acting totally unprofessionally and with that hesitancy they sold the club at a slightly higher price but to people they did not study or understand or really profile. Essentially with that Parry and Moores could breathe a lot more, because they were associated less with the downfall. Now you see a lot of fans turn of the owners and rightfully so, but they are not the sol factor in the reason we have had a league famine or the key factor in our failures. Yes they have in all probability messed our future up, but our past was no hasy road either and the people associated with that were never accountable for it. If anything the takeover places a blanket of further security on them as they are the "lesser evil". Its all totally messed up.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
well, it`s a painful thread but we have to face this fact and discuss it and not to hide ourselves and say every thing is going well to win the epl exactly as rafa feeds our fans with the beginning of every season.

there is no doubt how it is shameful while such a big club can`t win the league title for approx 18 or 19 years and i do predict we aren`t a strong or enough capable to win it this season too.. there aren`t any great changes which have done or can help us keep play in high level for more than 6 months.. ok, we are good in cups competitions and can fight for them but not to be consistent in the epl.

i don`t know much info about the team events which lead our club out of the pitch. but, i think if we want to challenge for the epl title till the last week, we need to get rid of some average players we have and bring 2 or 3 class wingers to have the real balance in our team. also, to increase the mentality of our team in long competitions such epl, honestly.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Everyone needs to grow a pair around here, not be dictated to by some smug question from some turd who full well knows we dont have the answer to his question.

"It's embarresing that a team has caught up 9 nine titles while you have won none, whats your take on that?" My take on that is that it's deplorable and we all know it, was it the ban, was it appointing Souness, was it Moores in power, who knows? All i know is that your question is the equivelant of asking the Georgian President how he fuked up the Ossettia region, it's embarressing and when hell is he gonna rectify it.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What? You clearly missed the whole point. Point is, Pool has been and is very inactive about it's situation. Something that it is UNUSUAL for big clubs as I said earlier. Arfy gave his explanation that things are abit different in england as here, a team can have a dominant period or a drought period for more than a decade. Being a serie a fan as I am I know that in serie a the top 3 (milan, juve and inter) doesn't let the league title slip out of their hands for more than 3-4 years. It's called a disaster! So, I didn't really ask how it has happened and why as much as whether this situation is "common".

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
All i know is that your question is the equivelant of asking the Georgian President how he fuked up the Ossettia region, it's embarressing and when hell is he gonna rectify it.
Uh, no. In order to be equivalent to asking the Georgian president how he screwed up the Ossetia situation, Valdrin would have to be asking his question to Moores. This thread is the equivalent of asking Georgian citizens their opinion on the matter.

·
Registered
752 Posts
You got the drift.

And Valdrin i dont see how Pool have been and are inactive considering the money spent and amount of managers since 1990.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
What? You clearly missed the whole point. Point is, Pool has been and is very inactive about it's situation. Something that it is UNUSUAL for big clubs as I said earlier. Arfy gave his explanation that things are abit different in england as here, a team can have a dominant period or a drought period for more than a decade. Being a serie a fan as I am I know that in serie a the top 3 (milan, juve and inter) doesn't let the league title slip out of their hands for more than 3-4 years. It's called a disaster! So, I didn't really ask how it has happened and why as much as whether this situation is "common".
have inter won the league every 3 or 4 seasons in last 2 decades? :rollani:
i don`t think so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts