Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, the Milan of this year is not one that dominates games from a statistical standpoint. Even the possession game that it prides itself on is sometimes broken, with Milan enjoying less possession. The Milan of this year is one that scores off its few chances and defends to the ultimate result. By that I mean defends well, and controls play in one sense. So let's leave anti-football discussions out of this, I'm not referring to that in any way. But its clear that you take teams and spit them out with a win and good result. Barcelona, Manchester, Inter to name a few.

To the uninformed, its clear that a team that plays a similar countering game that takes advantage of a few chances and tries to control the game with a steadfast back line is an ideal opponent to take you down. Like Juventus, for example. However, at the same time, you did beat Juventus clearly in your earlier League clash.

So my question to all you- what team do you think has the ultimate lineup/tactics/chance in defeating you? And I'm not talking about those periodic defeats by lowly teams in the Serie A, I mean consistent and/or big name clashes where you think one team can match you and even overpower you in the game and your style of play.

I think there's only one team- Chelsea.

What do you guys think?

·
1st Tier Poster
50,434 Posts
This is quite a good post from you for a change. Chelsea plays in a very similar style to us - efficient and organized result-based game. Milan and Chelsea have two of the best defensive lines in club football, both teams have physically strong defensive oriented central midfield with excellent pressing abilities. The main difference is maybe the buildup of attack: we mainly come through the centre, where our main builders of the game Pirlo and Kaka are both playing. Chelsea lacks good passers on the central midfield, they play more through their wingers.

If the two teams meet in the CL final, the chances are fifty-fifty IMO.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
I think Liverpool have a decent shout as well in a one off encounter, they can press your midfield like they did to Juve and United failed to do to you, if they can get an early goal they can hang on and hit you with counters.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Obviously Barcelona absolutely outplayed us at Camp Nou, but still only managed a 2-1 victory, thanks to a late Ronaldinho magic goal. Their midfield has the potential to dominate any game, but there are questions on their defence in comparison to ours. I don't think that Camp Nou match was a true indication of the two teams, because the week before we managed to successfully control Ronaldinho and co.

Chelsea seem to play like us, strong defence and takes advantage of their opportunities up forward. I think we'd have the edge in that area though, simply because we have Shevchenko and they don't have anyone like him. Would be a great clash, but I'm confident our experience wll get us over the line (Maldini, Nesta, Stam and Cafu have seen and played against the very best of teams over their careers, so they wouldn't be intimidated in the slightest against this so called Roman Empire).

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Any team can beat us if we have a bad day and don't manage to score, it's happened already against "small" teams this season, Chelsea could manage, PSV could manage,etc. but we have a more fluid midfield play than them, so we could eventually dominate them.

But Barcelona did outplay like I had hardly seen before. There was not much to do anyway, they had the ball all the time and their players are good with it, so nothing you can do if they're on a good day. That day there were marginally superior to us. In that sense, I think maybe Real Madrid and Arsenal are the only teams with the potential to do that to us, that is maintaining us out possesion for the whole game and and having the players to break us when needed. Specially if we were to play them away.

Obviously that is pure speculation as we saw last season, where Depor took complete control and went past us, but that was freak performance by everyone on their team, that could also happen against any team that is outrageously inspired.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
I think that PSV has a very similar game equation than ours, so I this as a big step in our way.
I can see PSV knocking us out if things don't go as well as they have been, if we fail to score on the limited, but clear chances we create
For a hunter, its better two have one dead bird than two flying.
Inter had a lot of weak chances, we had a couple of good ones
with manchester, we did manage to shut them off which is unbeliavable IMO
but I think these games (PSV) will be tougher than the other 2

·
Registered
472 Posts
There are very few teams that can match Milen in tactics, but our playing style has decreased so much this season. Last season we were fantastic (1 exception), Kaka was sensational but this year we defend mostly. I don't say we're playing bad but we are not playing well either. We are not exciting anymore but maybe that's the priece a winning team has to pay if it wants to be successful in modern football.
So I wouldn't talk about a great Milan in terms of playing but in terms of tactics.
I prefer losing a game like we did in Siena, where we at least tried to play then win a game like we did in Reggina.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts