Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i must say that there are many teams that really played well in their first game...if i had to pick one team that has impressed me the most, i would say brazil...well, u can say every bad thing about this game all u want...bad officiating...rivaldo's fake injury...but b4 all these things happened, they really played a sensational match...turkey is a very tough team to beat...but when i looked at ronaldo score that goal, i knew the old ronaldo was back... :) all the brazilians have great skills...it's just fun to watch them dribble around...

i like argentina too...i was impressed when they beat nigeria...however, i think guys like veron didn't play their best game...but guys like zanetti, ortega, and placente had a great game...

italy also had a strong game against ecuador...but ecuador was not a strong opponent so i can't say much...but certainly, vieri, totti, nesta, cannavaro all played very well and impressed me a lot...but if i had to choose one team that has impressed me a lot, i'd still pick brazil first...

of course france really made people disappointed when they lost to senegal...but don't be too hard on them...coz losing zidane was very tough for them to recover...and they actually didn't have luck...if they did, they wouldn't have won the game (hit the post once and bar once)...i thought uruguay also had a not-so-good game against denmark...

england was pretty average if u asked me...but even with beckham, they didn't really impress me in the sweden game...but i actually don't rate them that high... :D:D:D so i m not that disappointed... :tongue:

anyway, i can't wait to see portugal...i think this team will impress me a lot...but this team needs figo...if figo doesn't play well, then they'll be in trouble...

what do u guys think about germany??? are they underrated or saudi arabia are just too bad??

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
South Korea so far. They had some excellent results coming into the tournament and seem to have carried the momentum through. The supporters looked and sounded fantastic too.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Denmark, Korea and Mexico...

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Impressing in their first group game:

Senegal for sure, very organised at the back and a solid keeper
Spain: finally won an opener
USA: didn´t watch the game yet, but 3-2 vs. Portugal sounds good

Disappointing in their first group game:

Portugal: So much for winning the WC...
Croatia: So much for being the most dangerous underdog...
Saudi-Arabia, no comment needed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Poland and Croatia are certainly most disappointing because of all the hype by their fans before the tournament.

Saudi Arabia did not play like they belong.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
The hosts were very impressive in their games :star:
Poland, France and Portugal has not lived up to their expectations, to say the least.
Denmark did very well in their opening game and some positive surprises were USA, Costa Rica and Turkey, although the latter lost.

Although the Saudi's aren't the favourites in the tournament they concealed just a WEEE bit too many goals...

I'm hoping for Cameroon to do well too, it would be nice with an african team making it to the semi's. If they can play like they did in the first half against Ireland, they can make it far :)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
The usual super Powers have impressed with the exception of France. I shall give the final verdict on them after their next game.
The Saudis, the Ecuadors have not dissapointed me as they were not in my expectations list. Same for the Super Powers Italy, Argentina, Brazil etc.......

If I have to pick just one team from each catagory, then here it goes........

Impressed - USA .:) I never expected such a stunning display by the team which finished last in the previous WC. Don't know it was a fluke or miracle or they certainly are a team to be respected. Would be following them closely.

Dissapointed - PORTUGAL. :eekani: My My some ppl in the media were saying they were the Brazil of Europe. My lily a$$. :ass: . What a load of crap. i must admit that I was looking forward to watching them and obviously had lot of expectations from them. The other day I was telling my girl-friend (who hates football) how I was looking forward to this match and how I was pumped up for their first encounter. I just don't know what to say anymore about them.

Ciao

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I forgot to add that incidently, I cancelled my date with my girl-friend to watch the match Portugal-USA. :lala: . You know what she actually called me after the match and congratulated me for telling her a lot of crap and she is expecting me tomorrow to bring her a bouqet of Roses and a "sorry". Suppose have to do it.;)

One thing it has taught me is that, never to brag about a team which is bragged in the media.;)

Ciao

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have been impressed by these teams so far:

Denmark - and to say I am biased I'll have to quote Raúl's wise words: "Surprised at Denmark's performance
The Danish team has been the most surprising one for Raúl in the first stretch of the 2002 Cup. "From what I've seen so far, Denmark is the team I like the best for their play. I've been surprised at their performance", assured Real's forward - Realmadrid.com

Korea - very impressive tempo in their game. Surprising as I really didn't know any of the players before. Good performance.

USA - They outplayed one of the outsiders for the title, Portugal. Always in there with heart and engagement. Hope they turn out to be consistent.

Argentina - well I expected them to be good. Guess they will take football on to another level as the tournament progresses. They simply have to with players like that. And in opposition to other teams like Brasil e.g. they seem to have a good teamspirit and togetherness. Argentina will be the team I root for when Denmark is out - unless we meet in the final ;)

Other teams I enjoyed were Ireland (for their fighting spirit), Germany (for their many goals), Italy (for their effectiveness), Sweden (for their 2nd half against England)...

England was boring!!

Portugal has been the only team to disappoint me - I expected a lot from them. I loved the way they played at Euro 2000 and they were the moral winners of the tournament to me.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
milano77 said:
I forgot to add that incidently, I cancelled my date with my girl-friend to watch the match Portugal-USA. :lala: . You know what she actually called me after the match and congratulated me for telling her a lot of crap and she is expecting me tomorrow to bring her a bouqet of Roses and a "sorry". Suppose have to do it.;)

One thing it has taught me is that, never to brag about a team which is bragged in the media.;)

Ciao
Just dump her, man, and pick her back up after the WC final in late June:D

The US has been the shock of the Tournament, and as a result Portugal must be the most dissapointing team.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Well this just proves that anything can happen in soccer. The U.S.A shocked the world just as Senegal shocked the world earlier last Friday. Portugal overall has more talent and is the better team. What cost Portugal the game is many things. First basic errors which were commited thorughout the game. None of the Portuguese players on the roster have any World Cup Experience. Field conditions feeling very different. Injuries in the Portuguese roster. And ofcourse pressure by the press and public(mainly Portuguese society) to succeed. But this may also be good for the Portuguese NT. They have been given some experience though little it is still significant. It has given the players and coaching staff hopefully an erge to win. But the question certainly is, when will this team fulfil its destiny? Or will this team end their careers together in defeat? It is too early to look into our younger players, which are also good. I do believe if this Portuguese squad qualified for the World Cup in 1994 & 1998 that they would be in an even higher level than Argentina of this World Cup. But that's my opinion.

I also have to say that that Portuguese NT defeat hurt me aswell. It felt like I took part in the lose, and that my heart was destroyed. It felt horrible, because I could not do anything to change what had happened. It feels like a part of me is gone now after defeat. I went to class right after the game, I knew I was gonna be taunted at by fellow peers, because of the confidence I had in Portugal to defeat the U.S.A. One of my friends who is a French fan stated something to me and I flashed back about France falling to Senegal, which for some reason made me feel better. But then another one of my friends who is a real good player who has been called by numerous clubs in Argentina and has some teams interested in him in Italy, Spain, and Holland said something. Him being Argentinian and an Argentina fan said something to me and it really hurt knowing I could not say anything back. But overall I still have faith in Portugal, I am still very young, but this team has my support that they can still go all the way. I don't care about what is on paper, this is coming straight from my heart. So thanks for listening.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
impressed: senegal (even though they got the second place in the african cup losing just on penalties, nobody expected they to defeat france) , usa (lack skills but a great phisical shape) , korea (same as usa), argentina (played the best football so far, despite playing a tough opponent like nigeria).

dissapointed: brazil (a poor defense, i hope they keep this level), portugal (they may have understimated the usa, and also key players are having a bad time (rui costa in milan, figo in madrid, nuno gomez in fiorentina:confused: ) and also had a bad macth today) , france (missing pires and zizou. lebouf :howler:) , nigeria (they play a too defensive, and never tried to win) .

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I have been most impressed by USA & Sengal. I'd also give credit to Ireland because Roy Keane has left the squad it's amazing how they seem to have built a team around Matt Holland, Ian Harte and Robby Keane. I am very happy for them.

Back to the USA, They are a shaky defense but get the job done. Landon Donovan and DeMarcus Beasley are both 20 years old and are the future of American football, USA should hope more quality players like them come out. Brian McBride is going to be the main goal banger for them! Watch out for Beasley like I said before; He's going to be the best player, hands down.

Senegal, what more can you say. They are so well organized at the back and the two players who impressed me most was offcourse El Hadji Diouf playing as a lone striker but also Fernidand Coly the right back. He controlled everything and was very surprising, does he play for Lens?

I wouldn't be surprised if Costa Rica take the 2nd spot in Group C either, I warned alot of guys in the Brazil forum before that Costa Rica would do better then Turkey and it's starting to look like possibility. Some guys thought I was crazy but maybe I will be looking like a genius now. :D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow...i was surprised that portugal had that kind of VERY game...this team really disappointed people...figo might not be 100% fit...but their defense was awful...their attack was next to nothing...rui costa did nothing...but u have to give credit to the americans...they played so hard and deserved to win...portugal needed an own goal from agoos to get the score closer...i think they thought they were on vacation or something...

USA, denmark, senegal all have impressed me a lot...i missed the japan-belgium and korea-poland game...but i won't miss russia-japan and korea-USA game as i want to see how they perform...

how did poland play in the korea game???

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Most well surprising team: USA

Most Disappointing team: Portugal.

Almost everyone is killing Portugal. WHY? because they lost.

Look dudes, Portugal made a bad start but they got back in the game well(only too late). Both Figo and Rui Costa were suffering from their lengthy injuries.

Watch how they comeback...........

Most disappointing player in the WC so far: DEL PIERO, he lost the ball at almost every touch in his 15 minutes appearance, luckily though Italy had already wrapped up the game before the jinxed Del Piero could bring bad luck.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
It's unfair to call Del Piero the most disappointing player because all he's had was 15 minutes of clean up duty when Italy were already falling back into a defensive mode and simply killing off the time remaining. Granted, he did look shaky over the ball, but he really didn't get much to work with.

·
Registered
85 Posts
South Korea (looked real good)
Argentina (did not let the hype stop them from outclassing their first opponents)
USA (based on results not the way they played)
Senegal (actually looked very tactical...the result against France...enuff said)
Ireland (love the fighting spirit, that is what the worldcup is all about)
Germany (with ALL their injuries, they have played rather well)

The also rans... who cares? The good thing is that it is still wide open.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
teribble carson,they are dissapointg together with portugal,france and croatia..
in that groupe,portugal and poland was suposed to be first and second,and look et them now,they are 3 and 4;)

but korea,us,senegal and denmark really impressed me..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts