Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to compile for a school essay, what are the best, most eloquent or poetic quotation/s, phrase/s or taglines ever made, that in most people's opinion, capture soccer's true spirit.

If you know any, please list them (or if this has been discussed before or elsewhere, please give a link).

Or if you think your own thoughts are better, please nominate your own poetic, eloquent tagline/s or rhyming phrase, that you think captures soccer's true spirit.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Tagline?

If you mean the little ditty at the bottom of the posts, see any of Hern's over the years. The one from "fever Pitch" and the quaote of Arena about us fans, were both good. But to tell you the truth, I've had a long hard day, and I am absolutely gutted.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
674 Posts
Excellent JureM,

Captures it in few words, and without the irony of the "Sweet Science" tag for boxing.

For the way the game should be played Cryuff probably didn't coin it, but "Total Soccer" referring to the Dutch team's attitude in the '70's is also a great phrase.

How about the phrase my Central American friends use: "Let the ball do the running!"?

DB-50, let us know what you choose and how your paper turns out. Can't go wrong with JureM's suggestion.

Oldplayer

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Oldplayer...I like that one as well, how many times have you heard your coach yell in practice..."Let the ball do the work." A play on let the ball do the running.

I've heard this said in Croatia many times and I'm sure its used in other countries as well showing that soccer can be unpredictable..."Lopta je okrugla." or basically "The ball is round" anything can happen.

"total football" is a great term used to describe the Dutch.

How about this one, and we see it every World Cup or FIFA sponsored event..."Fair Play."

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
"The Ball is round"

I know it sounds obvious but it's used globally to explain how sometimes luck falls your way and sometimes it doesn't.

"All the world is football shaped, its just for me to kick in space" .
(Sports Illustrated June 12, 1995 pg. 66)
It's a neat play on words.

"biff-bang-wallop"-describing the all out physical English game.
(ibid pg. 68)

Another one I like from the same article, to express the joy of the game is

"With thanksgiving to God for happy youthful days" pg 74

·
Registered
674 Posts
"The Ball is Round." It looks like a mouth full in Croatian.

Really, I've never heard this one before. Perhaps more European than American (North or South)?

Ljubuski, that's not a Welsh name! But even a Choctaw boy like me can have a good time in Cardiff and surrounds. Spent 4 days in South Wales last summer with my Welsh friends. What a nice time! Wish they could put together a legitimate W/C contender team (at least a qualifier).

Oldplayer

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Go to the library and get out Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch." There are tons of great remarks by Hornby and he quotes many other people about the essence of football. Plus, it is the best book I've ever read about the sport.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,478 Posts
Back in the NASL Days ... (God ..Im old !!! :eek: ) The Tampax Bay Rowdies had the cachiest slogan goinn' around ... And it goes like this....................

Soccer IS a Kick in the Grass !!!!!!

If you like it and You use it..please send a US $10.00 bill to the colocolo 'cause in Chile, so that we may come out of Bankruptcy someday in this century !!! :hopefull:

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Colocolo..you're funny....and the strange thing is that you have more posts alone than some entire Forums....:D

Speaking of NASL days, whenever the Cosmos games would be on TV the opening song would be "Here comes the sun..."

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Oldplayer I wrote Cardiff for the Cup final on Saturday.

My boys in blue will hopefully salvage a weird and confusing season. C'mon Chelsea!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The ball is round" is more used in the non-english speaking countries.

A columnist for the Toronto Star wrote a huge article before the 98WC on the saying. It spanned across the globe.

I found even more interesting because I remember my Father using the term for as long as I can remember.

I can be used to apply to life as well.

I like it too.

DB50 if you want some great quotes get a hold of a book that describes the life and times of BILL SHANKLY

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
oops

ahem,

BILL SHANKLY a true legend and a genius.

Here are some....

"if Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, I'd close the curtains."

Adidas once called to give him a golden boot for his achievements
Bob Paisley took the call and asked what size he wore
"if its made out of gold........then I'm a size 28"

"If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage" talking to a journalist once about the offside law,
"then he should be"

"What do you mean you've hurt your knee? It's Liverpools knee!"

To fellow Scot Ian St. John upon arriving to Anfield who was asked to remember two things-"don't over eat and don't lose your accent"

And of course the one about football being more important than life or death.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts