Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I am a bit confident against Belgium:D

And I'm already looking to the next match against England. I feel this is the toughest team left in the tournement. I hope that we are ready.

I have a few concerns.

1. Can Lucio and Roque contain Micheal Owen?
Owen's strenght is his speed. Both defenders are not too pacy, I am terrified that he will destroy the very very frail Brazilian defense like against Germany.

2. Can Rivaldo/Denilson and Roberto Carlos control the left side against Beckham and Mills??
A few smart plays here can win the match for brazil. Does anyone know what we can expect here? I hope Rivaldo really shines for this match cause there are so many doubters. I love this guy though he is world class.

3. Ronaldo and Ronaldinhio vs Ferdinand and Campbell.
If ronaldo wants to show he is back to his best, there is no better place to do so than here against the best defense in the tournement. So far no goals conceded. I expect Ronaldo to be ready.

4. Marcos vs an above average team.
I hope they crucify this guy if he plays as bad as he did the first three games. He has been shameful and I dont get how he made the team.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well Sweden did exploit Mills' error in the first game.

I think Brazil, if they beat Belgium, will have to be a little more cautious against England then they were in the 1st round.
I think they will because the competition is much tougher here on out.

SGE has England playing a very defensive game, especially if they go up a goal. I expect Brazil to have more success than Argentina did; as I expect Ronaldo, Rivaldo to put more pressure on England in the area than Batistuta could. He was virtually marked out of the game without good service.

England's counter-attack can break down the Brazil defense if they get caught. Brazil may get caught at the back and if Owen's groin is healthy, he may have the chance to re-create his WC 98 goal by running past the last defender and scoring.

All in all, I expect Brazil to advance to the Final, but must not get into offensive shootouts like they did against CR.
If they play a smart game, they should win.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think England will use the same disgraceful tactics against Brazil, when England get a goal, they will put 8 to 9 players on the penalty box, afterwards, they will not attrack at all in the last ten minutes and play 10 - 0 - 0 formation.

Brazil should use freekick to break their defence.

IMO, England do not deserve to win the World Cup.
Good luck, Brazil.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Yes I am a bit confident against Belgium

And I'm already looking to the next match against England. I feel this is the toughest team left in the tournement. I hope that we are ready.

I have a few concerns.

1. Can Lucio and Roque contain Micheal Owen?
Owen's strenght is his speed. Both defenders are not too pacy, I am terrified that he will destroy the very very frail Brazilian defense like against Germany.

2. Can Rivaldo/Denilson and Roberto Carlos control the left side against Beckham and Mills??
A few smart plays here can win the match for brazil. Does anyone know what we can expect here? I hope Rivaldo really shines for this match cause there are so many doubters. I love this guy though he is world class.

3. Ronaldo and Ronaldinhio vs Ferdinand and Campbell.
If ronaldo wants to show he is back to his best, there is no better place to do so than here against the best defense in the tournement. So far no goals conceded. I expect Ronaldo to be ready.

4. Marcos vs an above average team.
I hope they crucify this guy if he plays as bad as he did the first three games. He has been shameful and I dont get how he made the team.
I am confident Brazil will beat Belgium tommorow, i hope they do anyway the prospect of England facing Brazil is mouth watering :drool:

This will be the hardest match either team will have played in this tournament and for one team it might be there last ;)

Brazils defence is very weak and i know Owen and Heskey will cause you problems. Englands defence is shaping up to be the best this tournament has to offer so it will be very interesting to see how Ronaldo and Ronaldinhio cope with that.

My heart says England will win, my head says Brazil will win(although Brazil still havent been tested by a good side yet)

Anyway arent we jumping ahead of ourselves slightly? you still have to beat Belgium :cool:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Russell said:
Brazils defence is very weak and i know Owen and Heskey will cause you problems. Englands defence is shaping up to be the best this tournament has to offer so it will be very interesting to see how Ronaldo and Ronaldinhio cope with that.
Ah, but England hasn't really faced a strike force like Brazil's, have they? I mean, Argentina fielded Batistuta alone up front, with Killy on the left wing and Ortega on the right, and not much else. We have Roberto Carlos on the left wing, Cafu on the right, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho Gaucho constantly moving around and Ronaldo up front. Quite a different situation. Eriksson stopped Killy with Mills, had Batigol marke individually with one central def to spare, and had ortega stopped by the leftback - I momentarily forget the name. That left Argentina with Veron and Simeone on the mid, and after Scholes and Butt marked Veron out of the game, what could Simeone do?

Brazil's attack is a very strong force. England's defense is a very respectable barrier. It may be a great game. But, BUT...!

Russell said:
Anyway arent we jumping ahead of ourselves slightly? you still have to beat Belgium :cool:
Exactly what I think. It''s not yet time for this thread, guys!! We still have to play against BELGIUM!! Let's do it one friggin' step at a time, shall we?!?!?!? :fero: :devil: Too many upsets have happened already! Let's keep it nice and steady, and I believe we can go the distance. Patience.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Ah, but England hasn't really faced a strike force like Brazil's, have they? I mean, Argentina fielded Batistuta alone up front, with Killy on the left wing and Ortega on the right, and not much else. We have Roberto Carlos on the left wing, Cafu on the right, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho Gaucho constantly moving around and Ronaldo up front. Quite a different situation.
Thats the whole point, you bring too many players forward.

I see this happening unless Brazil learn how to defend:

Once Carlos and Cafu come up, who's left to defend?
England will pass the ball straight to Beckham, then 50 yard ball to Owen. Then Owen will do his trade mark of running with pace and have a clear chance on goal. (just like he did to Argentina)

OR

England will bring up their giants for corners/set pieces. Badly organised marking by your defenders and Sol or Rio could get a
chance on goal. (happened a few times this tournament)

I momentarily forget the name
A Cole. :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
let's beat belgium first, please. if the brazil players are having discussions like this -- how do we beat england? -- then their world cup might end early, too. looking ahead and taking a team for granted is the easiest way to lose.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
look, if you guys really want to know:

sol campbell and rio ferdinand are big men who are great in the air, but brazil wouldn't attack in the air. brazil would attack where campbell and ferdinand are weakest and where brazil is strongest: with the ball on the ground -- at the feet of some of the best dribblers IN THE WORLD, ronaldo, rivaldo, ronaldinho and juninho paulista. imagine ronaldinho and juninho running with the ball against those big, clumsy men!

and then brazil would attack where england is even weaker in defense: on the wings! danny mills is slow and, quite frankly, not that good; ashley cole is inexperienced and is not playing that well. cafu and particularly roberto carlos would put on a show de bola against those guys. and can you imagine when denilson comes in to dribble against a tired danny mills? come on, it would be laughable.

if it doesn't rain, brazil would have no problem spending all day in the england penalty area and taking target practice on seaman.

(and i was born in england and lived there half my life, so i'm not biased. england-brazil would be the ULTIMATE match for me. it would be my personal world cup final!)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hey guys calm down. Lets not jump into conclusions that we are in the Q Finals. Which I hope we will be.

This was one of the reasons france and Argentina couldn't make it to the 2nd round.

So let the match with Belgium get over and then we can think forward to England.

Bye

·
Registered
368 Posts
edmílson is fast and 1 defender (should!) be at back(sobra).

mills is horrible and will be very good to brazil if he plays!

beckhan is an excellent player but he doesn´t defend well.he is good just at forward.

I will be afraid of marcos always!

ronaldo and rivaldo have all to beat ferdnand and campbell !

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
We Need To Change the Team!

NOW I'm prepared to discuss this thread's subject. Yesterday I felt it was too soon, as we hadn't even qualified yet.

Well, if we want to go past England we'll need some serious changes. I don't think we'll make it with the formation we used today; our performance was a nightmare.

Scolari was totally beaten tactically by the Belgian coach, and the only reason we beat Belgium is that our players are much better than the Belgians; we won because our boys are vastly more talented. Tactically, Belgium was the better team; we went through them by pure technical superiority.

During most of the match - specifically the first 25 minutes of the second half :eekani: - our team was unable to even leave the defense, as Belgium clamped down our midfield completely. Today our three defenders demonstrated how good they can be; even cornered as they were during all this time, they resisted the Belgian pressure. Bravo to them, but I'm really worried. They stood up against Mpenza and whatsisname, but I sincerely doubt they'll be able to hold off the Brits. So we can't afford to get clamped down like we did today.

First: Ronaldinho Gaucho was mostly useless. He tried to 'go through' Belgian defenders too many times, and that cost us several good attacks, because the kid wouldn't pass the ball to his teammates. I say bench him. Bring on Ricardinho (who might be good) or Kleberson (who was very good today). That change is IMHO absolutely necessary: If we don't strenghten our midfield we won't make it past england, period.

Second: Is it just me, or is Denilson an irritating, vain and useless circus performer? :devil: :fero: THIS GUY'S SELFISHNESS AND STUPIDITY ARE KILLING US! I feel Scolari was wrong to field Denilson when he did; the obvious choice to enter was Ricardinho, but I would've taken off Ronaldinho Gaucho instead of Juninho. ;) But during his entire time on the field, Denilson never produced ANYTHING! He always tried that same thing, he kicks the ball upfield and runs. Or he stops with the ball and 'dares' his marker to take it; and loses the ball after his oh-so-predictable-dribbles fail. :mad: Now, I know many people disagree with me, but I think Denilson is one of the world's most overrated players. He doesn't pass well, he doesn't shoot well, he sux at headers, he can't mark to save his life. He doesn't help defense and he's more entertaining than effective as a forward. WHAT is this guy doing in our team?

I think Scolari needs to change some things in order to face England. Otherwise, I believe our World Cup adventure ends friday. :groan:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
garrincha, you said that:

... the only reason we beat Belgium is that our players are much better than the Belgians; we won because our boys are vastly more talented. Tactically, Belgium was the better team; we went through them by pure technical superiority.

well, this is exactly why we we'll beat england and win the world cup. there is no team remaining in this competition that can threaten us.

look, even with our poor defense we have conceded only 3 goals in 4 games. our team is good enough to stay neck-and-neck with any other team, even on a bad day. then we can turn to our two aces in the hole -- ronaldo and rivaldo -- to win the game late, just like we did against belgium. the cream always rises to the top.

garrincha, i agree with you that denilson is crap. but he could be very useful against england. if we are tied or losing in the second half, we can bring him on and he will drive danny mills crazy. there is no way danny mills can handle roberto carlos, denilson and maybe rivaldo dribbling on the left. with denilson in the game, we would at least be able to create some scoring chances from the left wing and weaken the england midfield, because they would have to send midfielders over to help him out.

i would not put ronaldinho on the bench for this game. i'd put juninho on the bench and bring in ricardinho, who is more of a physical presence in midfield. we will need him against the likes of butt and scholes.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I couldn't have agreed more about the tactical changes. Ricardinho in for Juninho would work in perfectly because Ricardinho has amazing offensive skills especially for a defensive midfeilder. Juninho Paulista is the weak link on the team like I have said ever since the Turkey game, he doesn't even link up well with Ronaldinho Gaucho, take his arse out. If we use 2 DMC's like we did for all the friedles then I am guessing we will see the true Ronaldinho in his real position, eh? Let's hope so guys. :nervous:

Avante Brazil! :star:

Cheers,
Patrick

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
well, this is exactly why we we'll beat england and win the world cup. there is no team remaining in this competition that can threaten us
I hope your team thinks like that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Russell I'll be the first to admit. I'm terrified of this match. But I was actually prepared for a France Brazil match. So no matter what this is the money round for Brazil.

I know that the English are equally terrified that the nation will stop in a few hours for this match.

I hope to God Brazil can win. It's like an eternal struggle of good vs evil. The beautiful game vs 11 men behind the ball. If England win it would be a disaster for football and all that is great about it.

Ironically I think we need Kleberson/Vampeta/Richardinhio to help toughen up the midfield because of the tactics that England will use.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts