Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is often quoted as the best referee in the world and not for nothing. All the games I have seen bar a few decisions of course he seems to see things which other refs are blind to and he is neutral - isnt intimidated or swayed to give decisions to the home team - when it comes to big games.

There are far too many incompetent and card happy refs out there. How come Collina can consistently get it right miuch more than others?

The football federations need to be more active in talking to refs and telling them when they are going wrong. I know its not an easy job with 200 cameras at games seeing action from every angle but there are far to many crappy refs.

Opinions?

·
1st Tier Poster
49,696 Posts
I'm tempted to say it's "bald head and scary looks" what sets him apart the most:tongue:

I'm sure that his extravagant appearance has helped him to gain this amazing worldwide fame, but of course he is excellent referee too.I rated him the best ref in the game already in 1998.He is not flawless in his decisions, but usually he manages to control the game excellently without interfering too much.He just has great ability to understand the thin line between what should be allowed and what should not.And has calm nerves and manages to stay neutral in every situation.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
He is very articulate, gets along with the players - no nonsense.

I didn't used to like him much - but an excellent ref, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
His looks and nothing but his looks. His a decent referee but more important is that hanks to the way he looks people can recognise him and that's what makes him famous. There are many better referees like for example Anders frisk who just don't have that popularity because you wouldn't be able to recognise them.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
He never seems biased - he is one of the few referees in Italy who dare to give very doubtful penalties at San Siro and Delle Alpi.;)
Collina is always controlling the match like a lot of other great referees but his looks have made him the most famous.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
I agree with gOD. No doubt he's a good referee, but there are better ones out there. It's his looks, the media makes him out to be a huge stand out. Almost like a Beckham image.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Collina and other top referees are like judges in court.

Where as the not so good referees are like policemen.

That is why the players respected them.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Aw, comeon.. this is wrong. It isn't only the media that's influenced by his look. The reason he's all hyped up may be distantly related to how he looks - but he does command respect first.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Ofcourse he makes mistakes from time to time.
But his looks, his way of handeling the game and his reputation gives him the respect and trust of the players.

And that is what makes him IMO the best ref in the world.

Actually 'Fabiocapello' (the user here above) couldn't have said it better.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Anomander Rake said:
He never seems biased - he is one of the few referees in Italy who dare to give very doubtful penalties at San Siro and Delle Alpi.;)
Collina is always controlling the match like a lot of other great referees but his looks have made him the most famous.
Sometimes he exagerates with the "not helping Milan/Juve" attitude and makes very strange decisions against them.

But he's one among the best referees out there sure, because of a lot of reasons.
Now, back to answer the question:

What makes Collina different?
The looks are the only "different" thing, no doubt.
He wouldn't be such a hyped character otherwise, just another great referee.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone reckon he has developed a side of his brain which is especially helpful in becoming a ref? He does have an odd shaped head.

Of course hes not alone in being a good ref but there are far too many crappy ones out there.

Football federations should do more to weed out some refs. There are plenty of games with bizarre decisions. Just like players get called up if they have misbehaved or for off the ball incidents, why cant refs be more accountable for their decisions?

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Visibility sets him apart.

You can be the best in your domain and that will go unoticed if you don't have the visibility, the mediatic exposure. 'Loin des yeux, loin du coeur' as Voltaire would say. If you do have that visibility though, you needn't be the best to be considered so: you just have to make the audience believe you are.

Nowadays, even refs can reach stardom. It's even a necessity. In UEFA's philosophy, the more stars on the pitch the merrier.

Ciao.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts