Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to compile for a school essay, what are the best, most eloquent or poetic quotation/s, phrase/s or taglines ever made, that in most people's opinion, capture both the World Cup's and soccer's true spirit.

If you know any, please list them (or if this has been discussed before or elsewhere, please give a link).

Or if you think your own thoughts are better, please nominate your own poetic, eloquent tagline/s or rhyming phrase, that you think captures the WC's and soccer's true spirit.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Beating Argentina is the greatest thing to happen to our country since the Revolution
- Anghel Iodanescu, Romanian Coach, 1994

126 Million seconds to France '98
- Headline in a Canadian football magazine after USA 94

Slightly off topic, but...
There were three countries that would have caused us logistical and security problems, so we're very pleased they aren't comming: Iran, iraq and England
- Alan Rothenberg, chairmen, USA 94 WC Comittee

the atmosphere in the US isn't right. The American public look at games as a day out to eat hat dogs and popcorn. In Europe fans can't eat because their stomachs are tight with tension
- Antonio Materrese, Italian FA president

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I must admit, that thought did cross my mind.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
"I am fascinated with the idea that an old man from Japan or the other side of the earth would see me playing football while he eats his soup in his house"
A Greek footballer about the World Cup

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
"every match i play, i do it thinking about the world cup"
Gabriel Omar Batistuta.

if you want good quotations, get the maradonas last book, "el diego" de la gente. (el diego, of the people).

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
'It is maybe the most important time for a player to go to the world finals. Fortunately, I have achieved great success at club level, but I have yet to have that chance at international level,' - Portuguese NT Star/ Fifa World Player Of THe Year/ Real Madrid Player - Luis Figo

'Every world or European champion has had the world's best player of the day. Now we too have the world's best player (Figo), so let's see how the 2002 World Cup finals go,' - Portuguese NT - Coach Antonio Oliveira

1 - 7 of 7 Posts