Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to compile for a school essay, what are the best, most eloquent or poetic quotation/s, phrase/s or taglines ever made, that in most people's opinion, capture soccer's true spirit.

If you know any, please list them (or if this has been discussed before or elsewhere, please give a link).

Or if you think your own thoughts are better, please nominate your own poetic, eloquent tagline/s or rhyming phrase, that you think captures soccer's true spirit.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Hm, all i might be able to give you is this little story:

At QPR there was a fan who is sitting in an arm chair and is blind. But still he hasn't missed a homematch for 20 years. Asked why he still goes (is driven) there he only said: It's just love

If thats not impressive... what is??? :)

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
This is my favourite footballing quotation -

"I couldn't live without football. I can never nderstand players who say they want to retire at the top. It's the same game whether your playing for Real Madrid or the Scott Lithgow Shipyeard Second XI. I'd have been playing until i was 50 if i was ok.
- Allan McGraw, Greenock Morton manager, disabled by injuries sustained playing football.

Again, a bit off topic but another of my favourites.

"This isn't the San Siro or the Santiago Bernabeu. Nor is it Serie A or the English Premiership. This is Boothferry Park, this is Nationwide division 3. If a player comes down from the upper leagues and puts his foot on the ball, trys a bit of skill in midfield, he gets hit by a bus, and in Hull, buses really do come in threes."
- One of the ex-Hull managers, i forget which :D

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
How about:

"In year 2002, Fulham will win English Premier League."

Mohammed Al-Fayed

It captures the immense optimism of all those linked with football, and it also pokes fun at Al-Fayed and Fulham!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts