Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
our midfield is pretty cramped, he can play striker alongside henry yes? :confused:

edit// he WILL play striker alongside henry? OR are we going to see wenger switch him around quite often depending where there is a vacant space?

AND is he going to be our starting 11 most often like henry? or he going to be bench warmer sometimes like edu?

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
judging by Wenger's comments he's going to play in Bergkamp's role.
:confused:

Personally, I think that his best matches have been in the left wing. He can play also as second striker, but he's not a great scorer. He is more a player who gives the goals instead of scoring them. Reyes is really fast, he dribbles really well, if you watched the Real Madrid match in Sevilla, you will know what I'm talking about.

I think he would be less effective as second striker, although he likes to play there. But he played in Sevilla and in the Spanish NT as left wing.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Wenger has said he will play in all positions,the Boro game tonight is off,so it looks like Reyes will make his debut at the Riverside in a weeks time. ;)

hopefully he will play left wing in this one as i think i speak for all Gooners in hoping he gets to nutmeg Danny Mills :D

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
According to Wenger, Reyes can play in the left, in the front center and in the right. So I think the position that he would probably play is as left winger (Pires role) or second striker (Bergkamp role).

I always rate Reyes highly not because of his scoring ability, but his tremendous skill as playmaker. Despite of his young age, he has been acting as leader to his team and coordinating its offense. This is why I think that his favorite role is closer to Dennis Bergkamp and he is one of very few player who is eligible enough to do the role. As a DB10 fan, it has always been my dream to see there's someone who will continue his task after his retirement. But now, we are not only getting a future replacement for Bergy, but we also get a future Pires as well in one man. :)

I see a bright future for Arsenal. ;)

D

·
0 Posts
Koeman4 said:
:confused:

Personally, I think that his best matches have been in the left wing. He can play also as second striker, but he's not a great scorer. He is more a player who gives the goals instead of scoring them. Reyes is really fast, he dribbles really well, if you watched the Real Madrid match in Sevilla, you will know what I'm talking about.

I think he would be less effective as second striker, although he likes to play there. But he played in Sevilla and in the Spanish NT as left wing.
While i agree he's a better left winger, i think he's of more use to Arsenal in the hole. Pires is Arsenal's left winger, and he's better than Reyes at the moment. Plus, when Reyes plays on the left, he tends to get to the line and get crosses in, waste of time at Arsenal given their fear of heading the ball.

Maybe Reyes will play on the right, ala Pires on the left, with Freddie in the hole.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wenger has said he will play in all positions,the Boro game tonight is off,so it looks like Reyes will make his debut at the Riverside in a weeks time.

hopefully he will play left wing in this one as i think i speak for all Gooners in hoping he gets to nutmeg Danny Mills
firstly, is he making an appearance that early?i thought its end of feb his going to play for arsenal, thats what some website says. are you sure jern? hoepfully i can see him earlier

also, i wouldnt mind him showing mills a thing or too hahaha

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Doc_Rule said:
While i agree he's a better left winger, i think he's of more use to Arsenal in the hole. Pires is Arsenal's left winger, and he's better than Reyes at the moment. Plus, when Reyes plays on the left, he tends to get to the line and get crosses in, waste of time at Arsenal given their fear of heading the ball.

Maybe Reyes will play on the right, ala Pires on the left, with Freddie in the hole.
Yes, the first thing I thought was: "Why Reyes if they have Pires?" Then I thought: "Well, Bergkamp said he was going to retire soon, Wiltord and Kanu don't seem to be the sis to play in th place". I think that the best option for him is to play in the right wing, just like you said. I think it's the best way to take profit of his speed.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
playing him as second striker and back up for pires is what i think wenger will do...
however i do feel this will mean the end of the road for:
1. wiltord (no tears shed)
2. kanu (again none shed)
3. Pennant (i hope to God i am wrong, but looking at the way wenger sold volz i wouldn't be surprised)
4. frannie (yet again no tears)

hopefully though: wiltord and kanu will leave......
bergy will retire in style after we win loads of trophies this season, reyes, pennant, bently and ali all get a good look in from next season.... maybe even old frannie could be back at highbury...

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reyes to make weekend debut?

Arsenal are hoping that their new 20-year-old signing Jose Antonio Reyes will be available to make his Premiership debut against Manchester City this weekend.

Reyes will arrive soon at Highbury to undergo a medical, with a view to completing a four-and-a-half-year deal which may cost Arsenal up to £20million after terms were agreed yesterday with Seville.

Spanish authorities may ask the English FA to enforce a one-match ban that Reyes was due to serve in La Liga this weekend, but Gunners boss Arsene Wenger would be keen to be able to field his new signing as a substitute on Sunday.

While Dennis Bergkamp and Thierry Henry should be available for selection, Arsenal do not have much attacking strength in depth - with Nwankwo Kanu, Sylvain Wiltord and Jeremie Aliadiere all absent.

That was the apparent reason why the Gunners, who had been tracking Reyes for more than a year and were initially lining up the talented Spanish international for a summer move to Highbury, decided instead to move for him now.

'I had said that if the right opportunity came along we would take it - because Wiltord is out for longer than expected, it is very hard to predict how long Aliadiere will be out and Kanu is at the African Nations Cup and could be injured,' explained Wenger.

Reyes is crucially also still eligible to play for Arsenal in the Champions League this season, giving them valuable back-up for their last-16 encounter against Celta Vigo.

The deal for one of Europe's most exciting young talents is expected to cost Arsenal about £9million up front. But with a complicated bonus system based on appearances, goals and team success, the entire package could rise close to £20million.

That would comfortably eclipse the Arsenal transfer record of a reported £13million paid for Sylvain Wiltord in 2000, but the young forward can play in a whole range of positions.

Wenger added: 'We have a game based on movement, technique and pace - and he has all of that. He is a good investment, because he is 20 and is already an international.

'He can play everywhere - up front, on the left flank or even on the right - like any good offensive player. He can be adaptable and replace everybody, so we will use him wherever we feel that we need him.

'If we buy a player it is because we can afford him. When we buy young players we make [the price conditional] on achievements, success and all that.'

Reyes' impending arrival at Highbury has left Wenger insisting that there will be no more signings either this month or in the summer.

That means their initial bid for Feyenoord's Robin van Persie will not be increased, Wenger maintaining: 'If we buy now then we don't buy again in the summer.'

------------------

knowing the FA i think he will be banned for a match:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
hes made the move to highbury in style.... starting off with a ban... ooops bang...
hahahahaha
the fa will enforce is coz its arsenal......

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
gunner4ever said:
hes made the move to highbury in style.... starting off with a ban... ooops bang...
hahahahaha
:D :howler:

that's what Wenger said ,that he should feel at home here because he is suspended ;)

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's what Wenger said ,that he should feel at home here because he is suspended
hahahahaha

:howler:

however lets hope not, i dont mind, i just cant wait to see the guy in action!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts