Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First it was Boksic missing WC 98 then Tudor missing WC 2002 and the biggest injury crisis of all us losing Eduardo for the EC. I guess Klasnic will be thrown in the mix as he has been of decent form lately so who do you want to see lead our attack in the Euro's?

·
Thought Criminal
14,005 Posts
I think we go with Petric up front by himself and Rakitic has to be inviolved now, id put him in behind Mladen.

---------------Petric-----------

---------------Rakitic------------

Kranjcar---Kovac---Modric---Srna

Simunic---Knezevic--Kovac--Corluka

----------------Plete---------------

i think this is the most likely thing to happen. i dont wanna see us relying on Olic. Give the kid a go to make a name for himself, the door has been opened and now its his time to shine
---------

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
If we can find any positives from this (football) tragedy it's that we have plenty of time to work on grafting in a replacement. Usually when you lose a big name you don't have time to work on an alternative so at least we can be thankful for that.

No one waiting in the wings can offer us his clinical finishing but with the right preparation I think we can still come up with an effective combination.

Apart from his freakish finishing, Dudu often joined in the neat passing game with the likes of Modrić and Kranjčar. Obviously, someone like Olić, despite his great physical qualities, can't do this because of a lack of technical ability. Guys like Budan and Klasnić lack the mobility to do so and are far more effective closer to goal. Younger guys like Kalinić and Mandžukić are probably not realistic options for this tournament but if I was Bilić I'd seriously look at giving Kalinić a shot. It's a huge gamble I know, but...

Some have proposed a Petrić-Rakitić combination but I don't know if it will suit us. Neither is a classic striker and I feel that you need to have at least one guy who will spend most of his time in and around the penalty area.

Anyway, after thinking about it today I came to the conclusion that we should (provided there are no more injuries) go with a Petrić-Budan attack. Also, I'd now certainly play Pranjić on the left thereby giving us two conventional wingers. The Petrić-Budan partnership doesn't offer us mobility but it gives us a great physical and aerial presence. Against the likes of Austria it will be important that we spread them wide and have players capable of delivering quality service into the penalty area. Against Germany, Petrić can play slightly behind Budan while dropping into the midfield when we don't have possession. We'll still have the likes of Kranjčar and Rakitić to come off the bench not to mention the other attacking options (Olić, Klasnić etc).

Here it is:

Kovač
Srna-Modrić-Pranjić
Budan-Petrić​

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I am not an advocate of the one man striker but I think we coukd use Budan very effectivly with this he is extreemly strong in the air and also playing with his back towards goal, then you can have Petric playing an attacking midfiled role behind him and also Pranjic Modric and Rakitic also joining the attack in waves from behind.
Srna I would try as a wing RB combining with Rakitic and put Simunic as a CB and call it unorthodox but why not try Ćorluka as a LB who would be allocated a more defensive role than what he currently has now on the right.

...........Budan
......Petrić
Pranjić..Modrić..Rakitić
...............N.Kovač
Ćorluka..Simunić..R.Kovač..Srna

·
Registered
22,667 Posts
Petric and Budan are injury prone...chances are one of them goes down before Euros..or even during Euros...

If that happens then what? :eekani:

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
e moj jamaica, kako onako nesto mozes ikome zazeliti?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
What do you all have against Olic? Seriously? :D

I mean, we're making fun of him but the guy has:
1. Won croatian championship with 2 different clubs
2. won russian championship
3. won uefa cup
4. got himself a new contract in bundesliga worth so much that 90% of footballers in bundesliga would be extremly happy to get such a contract.

Ola Lola, you're my man :D

·
Registered
69,808 Posts
but that's all the past rodjo ;)

I know I'm starting to sound like Chris Russo now, but when has Olic come up in a big spot? And don't say the England match, because as great as the victory was, the match didn't mean anything in the qualifying picture.

that goal against Bulgaria in 2004 was the last time he really came up big. I still have fears he will return to his Euro 2004 days, and WC 2006 days. I can't take him seriously

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I'd go for.

-----------------------------Plete-----------------------
Corluka------------R Kovac-------Simunic--------Pranjic----
--------Srna--------------N Kovac----------Modric-----
---------------Rakitic------------------Kranjcar-------
----------------------------Petric-----------------------

If Petric is getting too isolated up front then I'd bring in Budan to hold the ball better, but looking at that midfield everyone is really comfortable on the ball apart from Kovac maybe and I think we'd give many sides a lot of problems.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
u cemu je problem, sve je savrseno jasno..

ako se vec to nekom moralo dogodit zao mi je da se nije dogodilo kranjcaru, bas mi je zao. ali eto dogodilo se eduardu, valjda je tako bilo sudjeno.

ali svejedno, svinja debela i tak i tak ispada iz ekipe zbog rakitica, ili pranjica.. vidjet cemo sta ce slaven odlucit..

lista, idiot te obuko jutros..

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I'd go for.

---------------------------Vedran/Mario/Joey (???)-------------
Corluka------------R Kovac-------Knezevic--------Simunic----
--------Srna------------N Kovac----------Modric-----
-----------------------------------Rakitic----------
----------------Petric---------Olic--------------

bench:
1. Pletikosa
2. Simic
3. Pamic
4. Pranjic
5. Leko
6. Vukojevic
7. Klasnic

·
Registered
14,050 Posts
Opsajd said:
I am not an advocate of the one man striker but I think we coukd use Budan very effectivly with this he is extreemly strong in the air and also playing with his back towards goal, then you can have Petric playing an attacking midfiled role behind him and also Pranjic Modric and Rakitic also joining the attack in waves from behind.
I'm totally against the idea of a one-man attack but in these circumstances (ie. no Dudu v GER) I think it becomes a realistic option.

Ante said:
Petric and Budan are injury prone...chances are one of them goes down before Euros..or even during Euros...

If that happens then what?
I had nightmares last night thinking about this...Budan's just come back from a lengthy lay-off while Mladen can't string together a month of football (and missed a lot of qual. games this campaign)...we are going to need a lot of luck in the next few months...

Diablo said:
What do you all have against Olic? Seriously?

I mean, we're making fun of him but the guy has:
1. Won croatian championship with 2 different clubs
2. won russian championship
3. won uefa cup
4. got himself a new contract in bundesliga worth so much that 90% of footballers in bundesliga would be extremly happy to get such a contract

I have nothing against him personally, it's just that he's not a very good footballer and one I'd rather not have to watch playing in my NT. His most brilliant and outstanding games for the NT amount to nothing more than an average performance for most other Top 10 NT strikers...:wallbang:

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
We must not play 4-5-1 against Poland or Austria would be a waste, it would be very useful to employ that formation against Germany is the control of the midfield will be much more harder to get. I would play.

Pletikosa
Srna - Corluka - R Kovac - Simunic
N Kovac
Rakitic - Modric - Kranjcar
Budan - Petric​

If Pranjic proves himself at LB in the friendlies than he can take Joey's spot and he move to CB.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts