Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some problems/solutions IMO:

*The players

Inusa needs to be dropped pronto, the guy is too slow and has spent the entire season ball watching. He Gets skinned far too many times and it's putting huge pressure on our defence. Lucas has had enough time, and I've been patient, although he tries hard he isn't and never will be good enough, he offers nothing special either offensively or defensively. Kuyt is too slow to beat anyone, which makes him utterly one-dimensional and he lacks the technical ability to ever be good enough, especially playing on the wing. I cant decide whether Riera isn't good enough or is just the most inconsistant player on the planet right now, I'll give him the benefit for now, but his crossing needs to improve if he ever wants a 1st team place because right now it's very poor. Babel is a waste playing on the wing, unless he's playing up front alongside Torres I don't think we'll ever see him shine, which IMO is what should happen. Even then I don't particuarly rate him that highly. Spends most of the time on the wing running the 100m sprint, right into a brick wall, hasn't the game intelligence to be effective out there but his pace up front with Torres could at least create more opportunities up front and lose a marker for Torres. Johnson should be put on the wing because the guy is a poor defender, he has ability and pace, why not use it on the wing? I guess he's ok to play right-back when there's no other options or if we switched to a formation that can better make use of an attacking full-back (dicussed later in the post.) Aqua needs more game time, drop Lucas and put Aqua in. In the game before this, Aqua came on and immidiately we looked better and more creative.

*The formation

2 defensive mids and 1 up front just doesnt work. You can argue 1 up front worked last season, well actually it didn't. Our inability to finish off teams cost us dearly and those draws let Man U back in and thus killed off our chance to win the prem. This season it's definately not working, far too negitive. If Torres doesn't score within 30 minutes, he starts getting frustrated and then start moaning to the ref which gets him in trouble. He NEEDS a partner up front, either Kuyt or Babbel or Pacheco, whoever, but on his own with the occasional run from Gerrard just isn't cutting it this season. I would like Kuyt to be dropped for now and Pacheco given a run in the 1st eleven if we do stick to this formation. He'd offer more than Kuyt does. However, I've spoken to a lot of Liverpool fans who would not only like us to drop Kuyt, but to go back to a 4-4-2, it seems we are beating a dead horse with this current formation and lineup.

A 4-3-3 would also be a formation that could be used effectively. With the 4-3-3 - Masch, Gerrard, Aqua in midfield. Torres, Babel, Pacheco up front. Benitez IS playing an attacking full-back system, and 4-3-3 is perfect for that, we'd have good strength in the centre and 2 extra people up front, meaning more firepower. Babel would also feel more at home, having played the 4-3-3 at Ajax. And we could finally make use of attacking full-backs who could offer some width IF we needed it, Johnson at least could be used more effectively in this role.

Reina
Johnson-Carra-Agger-Aurelio(when fit)or Mavinga (power and pace)
-Gerrard-Masch-Aqua
Pacheco-Torres-Babel

Masch stays a little deeper, width comes from our full-backs, and/or keeping them back and instead using Pacheco and Babel splitting out wide to draw out defenders and giving us the width that way. Gerrard offering close support when/if needed.

*Will he/wont he

Will Benitez make any of these changes? No. Will he make any change whatsoever? No. He'll flounder on and on with the same stubborn tactics, the same stubborn formation and the same stubborn persistance that Kuyt and Lucas (his two secret sons) just HAVE to play every game no matter what, even if after 55 minutes it's obvious they aren't offering anything and should be taken off, even after that he'll do what he always does and wait until the last 8 minutes before taking them off and putting Aqua on. And he'll continue to play 1 up front and 2 defensive mids offering nothing going forward. Marvelous isn't it?

Europa aside, I'm honestly wondering if we'll make top 4 this season, with what I've seen and the stubborn nature of Benitez, I'll say we wont. Not unless he makes major changes NOW. Inusa, Kuyt, Lucas must be dropped and a new positive formation implemented for us to stand any chance of gaining the increasingly elusive 4th place.

My 2 cents, discuss.

In your post, give the following:

* Players to be dropped, players to be used, and why.

* Your formation, with what player plays where, and a basic overview of how it would work.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
Don't think Insua can be dropped, even if Rafa wanted it to happen. We only have Aurelio for back up and he's currently injured. Agree, he needs to be dropped as soon as Aurelio returns. Mavinga, i'd like to see him play a few games but just can't see it happening.

Lucas is a good squad player but i think there are bigger problems than him. Carragher for one. IMO he's a liability on and off the pitch.

I'd drop Gerrard for a match or two as well so that he can sort his head out and then bring him in as a right winger. Thought Lucas ans Aquilani had a good understanding going and would prefer them to play together in whatever position as they're both very pass and move style footballers. Aqua should defo be in team though, for whoever. He's started 4 EPL games and we've won all 4.

Kuyt, DROP HIM. Do i really have to give any reasons?

My formation.

Reina
Johnson Greek/Skrtel Agger Aurelio
Mash Lucas
Gerrard Aqua Yossi/Reira
Torres​

Think that's a pretty balanced team and Gerrard could help cover Johnson's defensive frailties even though i believe they're over exaggerated by some.

Don't think Rafa will use my formation and i don't think we're going to finish 4th. Liverpool players are too far gone mentally and IMO we're gonna have to win all 9 remaining games to stand a chance of finishing 4th. Just not gonna happen.

·
Masch for Captain
2,413 Posts
Insua is a great talent he is just unfortunate that Fabio is injury prone. Over exposure of a youngster in a underperforming side isn't the wisest thing.

Think we should sell Reira personally his crossing and goal scoring is too poor.

Lol @ taking Insua out and introducing Mavinga

Clueless

·
Registered
40,302 Posts
well if you ask my main players, i would say:

1. Torres
2. Gerrard
3. Reina
4. Mascherano
5. Agger

as it`s mentioned above that insua shouldn`t be dropped since he`s only option in his position. on the other side we have 2 options who rafa depends on, both carra and johnson and of course i pick the latter as 1st choice as RB. in center i would choose kyrgiakos/ carra and agger. they showed more consistent games.

in them midfield, mascherano is number 1 then build around him. i like to use either maxi or bable as RM and to stick Riera as LM. aquilani should get more time to. kuyt needs a rest for 1 or 2 games. I dont forget that babel can be used next to torres too. and gerrard on the right wing, so we have some options.

i can make such a formation:

---------R-------
GJ---Carra/GREEK---Agger--Insua
-----Masch--Aquilani--------
Babel-------Gerrard--------Riera
-----------F.T------------
or

---------R-------
GJ---Carra/GREEK---Agger--Insua
-------Masch- Lucas--------
Gerrard-------Aquilani---------Riera
---------------F.T-----------

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
We have to HAVE TO win all 9 games from here, and that means beating Chelsea at home and United away (4-1:proud:). There is no other way. We have to find a goal source other than Torres, who will probably score if started, but this season, given his injury worries, that's not a given. Kuyt has to step up and stop Kuyting every decent opportunity he gets. We can't afford the luxury of 2 DMs against weak teams now, and Aquilani and Gerrard will both have to start and find a way to play together. Yossi needs to be more creative like he was at the start of the season. Riera has been a mystery, either he's been injured or out of form, and he has got to pick up. Babel I've given up hope. At left back, we need Aurelio to play game in-game out as Insua is starting to look fatigued by the long season. Right back, Johnson is still our best bet, until Kelly gets a bit more experience.

This would be my starting line-up

Reina
Johnson - Carragher - Agger - Aurelio
Mascherano - Gerrard
Kuyt - Aquilani - Benayoun/Riera
Torres​

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
I dont know how to comment on what should you change in order to perform better but looking at the EPL table - is it even possible now ? Spurs is 4 points ahead of you, City is a point ahead of you with 2 games in hand, Aston Villa is 3 points down but has also 3 games in hand. Add Everton to the mix who are in good form and if they beat Birmingham are only 4 points behind you.

That makes 3 teams who should be ahead of you by points if they play their games plus one team that has been making up ground when compared to your team.

So...eee...is the answer : No, its not possible ??

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Insua is a great talent he is just unfortunate that Fabio is injury prone. Over exposure of a youngster in a underperforming side isn't the wisest thing.

Think we should sell Reira personally his crossing and goal scoring is too poor.

Lol @ taking Insua out and introducing Mavinga

Clueless
Mavinga has pace, Insua is as slow as a donkey, and that for a full-back means trouble. He's constantly putting the defence under pressure because of slowness and his ball watching. He's done it all season. Best to have someone there who at least has the physical presence and pace to keep up with play, until Aurelio gets back.

I guess you'd rather keep seeing Insua get burned week in week out. It's embarrasing watching him, legs of a 35 year old.

Clueless yourself.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
Let's not turn this into an Insua bashing thread. He's had some excellent games and some very poor games. It's his first season where he's played constantly. In all likelihood he is feeling the affects mentally and physically, which probably isn't helped by our poor form this season and the lack of support he gets from the left wing.

At this moment in time though, he needs to be dropped.

·
Masch for Captain
2,413 Posts
You are one of those retards that will complain when Pacheco has a couple of poor games. He is 21 ffs in a under performing team in his first season. Excuse him for getting tired and not feeling confident anymore.

·
Masch for Captain
2,413 Posts
Rivaldo88

Don't understand why the Insua bashing. When 18 months ago he was blatently asking Rafa to play him.

I hate fickle impatient fans. We seem to have more than other teams.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
Insua is deliberately targeted by other teams as the weak link to our team. Against Wigan as well as many other games, it was attack after attack down our left side so i can completely understand the lack of appreciation for Insua.

As for your last sentence, it is complete rubbish. Liverpool have the most patient and least ficke fans in the world. At every other club, Rafa would have been sacked and Kuyt booed off the pitch every single game. In fact, Liverpool have the most naive and sentimental support in the world. Not always a good thing.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Rivaldo88

Don't understand why the Insua bashing. When 18 months ago he was blatently asking Rafa to play him.

I hate fickle impatient fans. We seem to have more than other teams.
God I love it when someone like you comes on, and start insulting others when they have an opinion YOU don't agree with and uses the one of the most over-used terms on the internet when someone tell the truth of a player you call it 'bashing.' It's not 'bashing' to give your opinion, it's not 'bashing' to tell the truth. Insua IS slow, Insua HAS ball watched all season. Inusa IS a liability as a full-back. If you can't accpet those truths then too bad. I, and many others have been patient, been patient with Lucas where others weren't. When I see Inusa ball watching all season and getting skinned time and again, and deliberately targeted for his obvious lack of pace and weakness at the back it's a clear signal he isn't good enough and should be dropped. it's not time for patience anymore, it's time for change before this season utterly implodes. Players to be dropped and a new positive formation. Calling someone a retard just shows you up for being inmature.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Mavinga has proved nothing outside of the reserves though, Premiership football is a different kettle of fish, Insua was amazing for the ressies.

What needs to change starts off the pitch and the turmoil surrounding the club, whilst the Yanks are still destroying the club from the outside we will carry on going backwards. Benitez needs to go he's lost the dressing room, the players don't want to play for him, Gerrard being an obvious example.

As for personel I don't think much needs to change, guys like Kuyt, Maxi, Lucas and Insua need dropping and we need to give more of a chance to guys like Aquilani, Riera, Benayoun or Babel. Trying Skrtel and Agger in defence would be a good idea as well, Carraigher is becoming a liability, although I think Martin Kelly will be his long term successor (he's a center back not a right back).

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think Aqua and Maxi would be better next season, when they at least have a full pre-season behind them. Footballers always comment on the wonders a good pre-season does for them so I'm not expecting much until then, but Aqua for me HAS to start games, his creativity and vision is evident. Lucas - to the bench.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts