Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this in the other thread about the ranking of the top leagues, and I think it deserves a thread for itself. Rank the league's fans in terms of attendances (numbers) and quality (noise, ultras etc.) on a 1-5 scale.

Attendances:
Holland - 4.5 - almost all the games in the top-flight are sold out.
Belgium - 3.5
Germany - 4.5
France - 4
Spain - 3 - fans tend to turn up more for the big matches
Portugal - 3 - only when the big teams are involved
Italy - 3 - same as Spain
England - 5 - Hardly a game that isn't sold out
Scotland - 4
Turkey - 3.5
Greece - can't comment, I suppose a bit like Portugal
Brazil - can't comment
Argentina - ditto

Quality:
Holland - 3.5 - You see improvement, fans are trying to organize themselves the Italian way lately

Belgium - 2 - Only Standard has a quality fan group
Germany - 3.5
France - 4.5 - Clearly based on the Italian style, great atmosphere in some of the stadiums

Spain - 3 - Not very spectacular, a bit dissapointing for such a great league

Portugal - 3.5

Italy - 5 - The beginning of European Ultra scenes and still the best

England - 4 - Lots of singing in most of the stadiums, but some of them are more quiet

Scotland - 4 - I can only comment on the Old Firm, but during those matches the noise is unbelievable. Twice as hard as in the average EPL game.

Turkey - 4.5 - Very good
Greece - 4.5 - Very impressive during European matches
Brazil - can't comment
Argentina - 5 - Great, the best together with Italy

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Attendance

England 5
Spain 4,5
Italy 3,5
France 4
Holland 4
Portugal 3,5(Prince_O you're almost right about the portuguese attendence but look Guimaraes with the new stadium has 15000 medium attendence, braga kind of 10000 to 12500, ant then teams like moreirense, nacional have always sold out, the problem is that their stadiums are too small 5000 and 3000 capacity...Beira Mar,Boavista,Belenenses and leiria have an average of 7500 per game, but i must say it was the new stadiums who make this possible)
Germany 4
Greece 3
Brazil 3,5
Argentina 4
Turkish 3,5

Ultras

Italy 5
Greece,Argentina,Holand,Portugal,Brazil 4
Turkish,Spain3,5
France,England 3

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't know that the teams you mentioned have such high attendances. I thought they only drew about 4000 spectators a match :eek: Good to see they didn't built the stadiums for nothing then. :)

·
Banned
37,734 Posts
Argentina have much better fans than Italy.

I have gonne to games in both countries and frankly it's an insult to argie fans to compare tehm with the Italians.

I was in a Boca x River last year in Bombonera and River were 2x0 up and it looked like Boca Juniors were winning a world cup.... classic stuff. there was even this lunatic without a leg that was the happiest guy on the world;)

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Greece has not the addetances of Italy f.e.,obviously because of smaller population.But the ultras of Greek teams are out of competition,comparing with other european ultras.Only Spain,Italy could be compared with our passion.The ultras here go to the stadium not so to enjoy a beautiful match,but to lose their voice with the banners and make their team win with any possible effort.

My favourite are the Argentinian and generally South American fans.Besides,the already mentioned,classic derbies as Boca-River these men have a great passion for their National Teams,something that european football misses.

Sometimes they overdraw it.Who can forget the 500 suicides of Brazilians when selecao lost the World Cup by Uruguay?

On the other side,England has very big attedances but the atmosphere is so different than in the above nations.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
that's a hard one but I like the italians and spanish fans because of their passion towards their beloved teams. EPL does have passion but for me, it's in a different catergory.:confused:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
countries fans

My Uncle went to Gambia a couple of months ago and went to a football match(Liberia-Gambia 1-2 to gambia final score),he taped the thing and the fans abosolutley looov football!! they eat football, drink football,clothe football,sleep football, wash football!!!

So'll I would go for gambias fans for a country but for a league I'll keep the same opinion;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Of course China, this country has the most football fans.:D :D

In China, the Milan fans are the most. They are proud of the achievement of Milan. The Juventus fans are fewer than the Milan's, Real's and Inter's. But I think the Juventini in China are the best.

On the other hand, the Argentina fans in China are the most. But many Argentina fans are young, they are so boring. The old fans love Barzil. Most of them watch the world cup 82 and 86. They were interested in Zico, a famous football star. Other fans like Germany.

During the 1990s, Milan fans became the most football fans in China. All of them like Van Basten. The Italian fans in China are many, too. But they are fewer than Argentina.:pp

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have to admit that this came as a bit of a surprise!!!!

www.soccernet.com referring to the semi final today!

"Atmosphere: A real cup cracker. United diehards produced a crescendo of noise - despite being given a reduced allocation - but the Arsenal supporters played their part too, although it was surprise they returned 900 unsold tickets."

Have times changed so much that even FA CUP semifinals don't sell out these days? Or is it just Arsenal? They've adopted the 'continental' style of play, maybe they've adopted the 'continental' style of supporter too! ;)

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Re: Re: What league has the best fans?

ToniSamp said:
I'd prefer another kind of people at the stadiums than the hot-headed ultras destroying everything and pretending you to do what they want...
Finally!! Someone saying the ONLY truth about the ultras.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Argentina have much better fans than Italy.

I have gonne to games in both countries and frankly it's an insult to argie fans to compare tehm with the Italians.

I was in a Boca x River last year in Bombonera and River were 2x0 up and it looked like Boca Juniors were winning a world cup.... classic stuff. there was even this lunatic without a leg that was the happiest guy on the world;)
so lucky u.how was the atmosphere there?

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: What league has the best fans?

ToniSamp said:
I'd prefer another kind of people at the stadiums than the hot-headed ultras destroying everything and pretending you to do what they want...
Of course the violence is crap Toni, but I am just talking about the positive things of these groups. The singing, the choreography etc. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts