Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Too many spanish players, too early. They don't have the physical build to play the game the rest of the team are playing in the likes of Gerrard and aren't getting the time to get that standard. The pace of the game is also something for them to cope with, which is a tough ask for their first season.

I would also say tactics, way too disjointed and confusing... in that its one system this week, those players that week. No momentum is being built because it gets changed around so much, so you get great performances one week, crap the next week. This is not really through any fault of Rafa though since there have been so many injuries.

And to be honest there is a distinct lack of quality in too many positions if you're comparing them to the best. If you don't have the players then you need the heart of a team playing for each other like Everton. Which as above cannot happen without the consistency. And is a lot to expect from such a changed team to work instantly.

I can't talk about the balance as I really don't know what Rafa is trying to achieve with the team in terms of tactics. It should be said however that the board has been a little dire in how they're handling the club.

Just write off this season as a work in progress and have a look next season, frustrating but what choice is there.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
too many spanish losers :thmbdown:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
too many bad players that Houllier and now Benitez have bought, i like some of his signings but really that Nunez is an insult to the Liverbird.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
nunez is not really a benitez signing obviously real madrid decided not to offer more than 8 mill for owen, this loser was added to sweeten the deal. liverpool have suffered horrific injuries something that benitez has not once blamed for a defeat unlike a certain predcessor (read his interview in 442 - unbelieveable). he's had 14 million of his transfer budget spent on a player he obviously didnt want, surely liverpool couldve cancelled the transfer after houllier went, who then got injured. he's dealing with a squad of crap houllier players used to playing naff football and its gonna take time for him to turn them round.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
too many european type players, not suited to EPL, not surpruisingly they are doing well in Europe.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Benitez, this guy is Gerard Houlier in disguise, that snoozefest vs Blackburn today was an example of it.
Worthless bums like Nunez and Traore, especially Nunez, that guy just plain sucks.
Selling Michael Owen who's now doing allright at Real.

·
63,337 Posts
DavidSilk24 said:
nunez is not really a benitez signing obviously real madrid decided not to offer more than 8 mill for owen, this loser was added to sweeten the deal. liverpool have suffered horrific injuries something that benitez has not once blamed for a defeat unlike a certain predcessor (read his interview in 442 - unbelieveable). he's had 14 million of his transfer budget spent on a player he obviously didnt want, surely liverpool couldve cancelled the transfer after houllier went, who then got injured. he's dealing with a squad of crap houllier players used to playing naff football and its gonna take time for him to turn them round.

that's all well and good but he didn't have to take him, i assume he's paying him a wage and no-one is forcing him to put him on the pitch either.

saying that i like Benitez as he never offers excuses as you say and i think he wil do a good job in time.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
who else has he got to play right mid???? steve finnan ?

·
63,337 Posts
DavidSilk24 said:
who else has he got to play right mid???? steve finnan ?
might as well stick with Luis Garcia than have that halfwit bringing shame on the team.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We don't have too many striking options with Cisse and Pongolle absent. This reduces tactical changes and makes it hard to change things if we don't click. Trying to score a goal last night we brought on Biscan and Nunez neither of whom is a striker and IMO very unlikely to make a difference. Rafa should have bought another striker when Owen went, Morientes has effectively filled in for Cisse leaving us with only Morientes and Baros

As has also been mentioned most of the squad is mainly Houllier's although some players Rafa has bought have not done much. Nunez looks the booby prize in the Owen transfer and Josemi looks far from ideal IMO and jury's still out on Garcia. We also don't have a good pair of wingers, Nunez is crap and Riise is ok but not ideal. Had Kewell lived up to hopes maybe we'd see a better balance.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Pool just lacks the creativity to break down defensive-minded team. Just like Blackburn yesterday - no way for them to create chances.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
There was also a lack of attacking options on the bench to change the game (with Cisse and Pongolle both injured)

·
Registered
65 Posts
any supporter of our great club who seriously thought we would be challenging for major honours this season is off their head's.

This is Rafa's first season and although not the most delightable of seasons, how can my fellow Liverpool supporters question Rafa?.

bought in, in the summer to replace GH who in my veiw should never have returned after his heart illness anyway when Rafa arrived he knew he had a major job on his hands to turn our beloved club around, Houllier had bought alot of discipline back to Anfield after the Evans era but still it wasnt enough, GH let the big players rule the roost so to speak.

So Rafa's first task was to try and keep Captain marvel and St.Michael, and give the Spaniard his due he managed to hold on to Stevie if only for this season, with Owen he had already made his mind up to screw Liverpool out of a nice transfer fund.
Owen always said he wanted to play abroad and we all knew his destination would be Real, what bugged me over it all was that we could have commanded a £40 million fee for St Micheal a couple of years back but the sly little git along with his agent and Real officials conspired to wait until Liverpool had no option but to sell, a very dirty trick in my opinion and something i will never forgive Owen for and neither will i forgive GH for letting that farce go on.

Rafa knew what the score was and sat down with Owen to discuss the possibility of a new contract again Mikey failed to deliver so he was sent packing to Real a measley £8 million and a second rate Nunez in return.
No blame whatsoever on Rafa, I actually commend the man for standing upto the little shite Owen, if Houllier had done this maybe we could have gotten a better deal previously......thank you Mr Houllier and Mr Owen...........NOT

as for the season overall its not been too bad, Rafa has led us to Cardiff and at the moment we are in the European Champions League Q-F, 5th in the prem but we can and will get 4th

he has made a few good signings, Alonso is world class, what a player his range of passing is extraordinary, not seen since the likes of Jan Molby in my opinion
Our game has looked better much more pleasing on the eye, a lot less sitting back and dropping to deep, some of GH's deadwood seems to have reacted positively under Rafa's tutorlidge eg. Traore, Biscan, Finnan and Riise has been a revelation.

In my veiw you will see alot of change in the Summer SG will leave so will Kewell, Hamman too, there will be major changes in the boardroom also.
this time next year we will then be able to say just how we think Rafa is coping and bearing upto the task of being Liverpool manager you cant judge him this year and anyone who does is being rather stupid.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TheUrchins said:
any supporter of our great club who seriously thought we would be challenging for major honours this season is off their head's.

This is Rafa's first season and although not the most delightable of seasons, how can my fellow Liverpool supporters question Rafa?.

bought in, in the summer to replace GH who in my veiw should never have returned after his heart illness anyway when Rafa arrived he knew he had a major job on his hands to turn our beloved club around, Houllier had bought alot of discipline back to Anfield after the Evans era but still it wasnt enough, GH let the big players rule the roost so to speak.

So Rafa's first task was to try and keep Captain marvel and St.Michael, and give the Spaniard his due he managed to hold on to Stevie if only for this season, with Owen he had already made his mind up to screw Liverpool out of a nice transfer fund.
Owen always said he wanted to play abroad and we all knew his destination would be Real, what bugged me over it all was that we could have commanded a £40 million fee for St Micheal a couple of years back but the sly little git along with his agent and Real officials conspired to wait until Liverpool had no option but to sell, a very dirty trick in my opinion and something i will never forgive Owen for and neither will i forgive GH for letting that farce go on.

Rafa knew what the score was and sat down with Owen to discuss the possibility of a new contract again Mikey failed to deliver so he was sent packing to Real a measley £8 million and a second rate Nunez in return.
No blame whatsoever on Rafa, I actually commend the man for standing upto the little shite Owen, if Houllier had done this maybe we could have gotten a better deal previously......thank you Mr Houllier and Mr Owen...........NOT

as for the season overall its not been too bad, Rafa has led us to Cardiff and at the moment we are in the European Champions League Q-F, 5th in the prem but we can and will get 4th

he has made a few good signings, Alonso is world class, what a player his range of passing is extraordinary, not seen since the likes of Jan Molby in my opinion
Our game has looked better much more pleasing on the eye, a lot less sitting back and dropping to deep, some of GH's deadwood seems to have reacted positively under Rafa's tutorlidge eg. Traore, Biscan, Finnan and Riise has been a revelation.

In my veiw you will see alot of change in the Summer SG will leave so will Kewell, Hamman too, there will be major changes in the boardroom also.
this time next year we will then be able to say just how we think Rafa is coping and bearing upto the task of being Liverpool manager you cant judge him this year and anyone who does is being rather stupid.
Whos judging Rafa Benitez?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Jonny Knoxville said:
too many spanish losers :thmbdown:

nothing I like better than seeing constructive criticism .

1 - 20 of 75 Posts