Xtratime Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here so please be gentle. :D

I have heard that the FAI have sold exclusive rights to Irish campaigns for the next Euro and WC to Sky.

This is really bad, and I am not sure what the hell these guys know what they are doing. They may be getting more money from sky but they are also cutting off most of their target audience i.e. young kids who are thinking of getting into soccer.

One of the main reason IMO we have a successful side now is that in 1988,1990,1992, 1994 etc guys like Robbie Keane, Duff and Given were encouraged by seeing the Irish side being succesful in not only the major competitions but also the qualifying campaign.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hey welcome to the forum! I'll forgive you for being a Juve fan since you support the Republic ;) I live in N. America so I don't really understand the situation. By going to Sky does that limit how soccer can be seen in Ireland?

To answer one of your questions:

"I am not sure what the hell these guys know what they are doing." No they don't :D ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
(From FAI.ie)

FAI announces two new TV deals - 05 July 2002

The Football Association of Ireland announced today (5th July 2002) new TV deals covering both International and Domestic Football for the next four years. The deals bring increased coverage of both international and domestic football and provide the FAI with additional financial resources to continue to develop football at all levels.

The deals are the optimum solution for the FAI and meet the FAI objectives of extensive quality coverage of both our internationals and the domestic game and significantly improve the revenue to the Association.

FAI President, Milo Corcoran, welcomed the new deals and stated: "These new deals are very significant for football in Ireland. The additional financial resources will be used to support all aspects of football, from the senior international team, through the eircom League to grassroots football. I am greatly impressed with the commitment of both companies in providing resources to ensure quality televising of our game. We will work with them to build on the increased interest following on Ireland's tremendous World Cup campaign."

SKY TV to cover Ireland's international matches

The FAI has granted Sky Television the rights to be the exclusive live broadcaster of Ireland's home international games, both competitive and friendly, for the next four years and rights to Ireland's U21 home internationals. The senior international matches will be re-transmitted 'as-live' on terrestrial television within 60 minutes of the final whistle.

John Delaney, Honorary Treasurer of the FAI believes that the new deal with Sky TV is excellent of Irish football. "The FAI is delighted with the deal with Sky Television. Sky has consistently invested significant resources in televising football and has produced football programmes on the highest quality. Sky has been the Association's partner for exclusive live international matches across the U.K. for the last two years and this has been a very successful partnership. Sky's approach has been a major factor in enhancing the image of football."

A Sky spokesperson, welcoming the deal, stated: "We are delighted that our investment over the next four years, plus our coverage of Under-21 matches, will be help the FAI to develop the games at all levels. After an entertaining and successful World Cup campaign of the Irish team this year, we hope we'll be following them to qualification for two more sets of Finals over the next four years - Euro 2004 in Portugal, and the next World Cup in Germany."

The FAI is confident that the quality of Sky TV's coverage of football will bring a new dimension to the enjoyment of Irish soccer fans. Sky TV has led the development of televised football and has been widely acclaimed.

TV3 is the FAI's new TV partner for domestic football

TV3 have become the FAI's new TV partner for domestic football. In addition, TV3 will show Ireland's international matches in an 'as-live' format, thus ensuring that terrestrial viewers can continue to enjoy the success of the Irish team. The as-live coverage of the complete match will commence within 1 hour of the final whistle. The agreement with TV3 covers a period of 4 years to October 2006.

TV3 will cover the eircom League in a comprehensive manner, with a minimum of 5 live matches per season and a weekly Sports Tonight Programme dedicated to domestic football. This programme will include the best of the action from the weekly eircom League matches. Regular highlights, news and features will be carried throughout TV3's news and sports schedules.

Rick Hetherington, Managing Director of TV3, believes that the new deal will be of great benefit to both Irish football and TV3. "We are fully committed to ensuring the best possible coverage of Irish football and will be committing significant production resources to achieving extensive quality television coverage of the domestic game. We are also pleased to be able to bring international action to terrestrial viewers as the 'as-live' broadcaster of Ireland's international matches. We are excited by this new partnership with the FAI."

Brendan Menton, General Secretary of the FAI commented as follows: "TV3 is a new partner for domestic soccer and I welcome their commitment to provide extensive quality coverage. The weekly Sports Tonight programme will provide a focus for the domestic game at a positive time in its development. Summer soccer will improve the game and increased success in European competitions is happening. I have no doubt that TV3 will help promote domestic football to its rightful position as one of Ireland's leading sports."

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sounds good to me.

Everybody is happy. It means I will be able to see all Ireland's home qualifiers from Scotland (Uni of Dundee) next year!!!
+there will be more money pumped into the domestic game at all levels...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also will be able to see the games from here. However I don't see it as a good thing. The way I understand it the FAI could have got a lot more from the deal if they had a bit more cop on in the financial negotiations department.

I believe the EU have stepped in and said that the government can step in and draw up a list of sporting fixtures that must be seen on free to view TV.

·
Registered
313 Posts
While RTE have no one but themselves to blame, and TV3 can only do a better job of showing the Eircom League (which started last week with the minimum of publicity) the feeling is here in Ireland why should we have to pay money to a foreign company to see our National team play??

PS Welcom aboard Jaansu, pity about the juve thing though!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts