Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me what the definition of "total football" is that was used to describe the dutch teams back in the day??

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
I always thought it was players playing multiple positions at a time with an attacking ideology. Like a right back becoming a right midfielder or a right forward.

·
1st Tier Poster
50,214 Posts
I think the point behind total football philosophy was that every outfield player must be able to both attack and defend and be able to switch on any position if necessary. So, basically, the idea was to have 10 outfield players with very similar technical and physical skills, playing without a clear formation what opponent could adjust to.
At least that's the description i've heard about it. I don't know how well they actually managed to put it into reality.

·
Registered
555 Posts
basically a quick description of what i read in the past was it was a concept of which every player could play any position, in turn making a complete or total player

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Also known as the "Clockwork Orange" it means players would rotate in a system where the other team would be baffled as they moved in a clock-like rotation around the posititons on the field.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
No, that's the French model.

Total football as the Dutch were meant to play it is what Rafo said. A team where every player participates in the attack and defence, of course depending on their roles.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Is it really? Why were they called the clockwork orange then? I heard it was because they played in that rotational system?

By the way, I know about the movie clockwork orange and Holland, but I have heard many times it was based on their movement along with their nationality.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Red_Bandit, I think you could figure out by simply watching 70s dutch team's performance on fifa's webpage. - yes they show full classic matches ;)

Basically, I agree with what AMOROSO! said. I once saw the clip when Cruyff actuallly move foward the ball in the midfield, when all dutch field players were over the half line.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
For me, Andy Christ's definition of Total Football is closest one as far as I can see. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that from several people that Rinus Michel's Holland NT in 1988 played like there's no pure attacker or defender in the team, and they just attack and defend collectively.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Andy Christ said:
I think the point behind total football philosophy was that every outfield player must be able to both attack and defend and be able to switch on any position if necessary. So, basically, the idea was to have 10 outfield players with very similar technical and physical skills, playing without a clear formation what opponent could adjust to.
At least that's the description i've heard about it. I don't know how well they actually managed to put it into reality.
you are right.
and the first team ever to play total football was Johann Cruyff and Co team...

·
Registered
788 Posts
seolkihyun said:
Red_Bandit, I think you could figure out by simply watching 70s dutch team's performance on fifa's webpage. - yes they show full classic matches ;)
Could you tell where to find those games? I can't seem to locate them...;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts