Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some discussion in the Fletcher thread about this....

So what IS our best mid field combination?

The midfield players in the squad are...

Carrick
Scholes
Andersson
fletcher
Giggs
Gibson

Because of injuries to scholes, andersson during the course of season and owen of course, we did not have any settled combination.

But carrick has been consistent through out and his performances have been world class.

Scholes....again was terrific in some mathces (for example againts fulham where he was sensational). But then again he is getting older and cannot play 2 mathces a week. also he picked up injury at the start of the season and few knocks here and there which have disrupted the flow. AMong all the choices, if we need stability, vision and passing game, he is automatic choice.

Fletcher did very well in the starting of the season when scholes and andersson were out and even scored some goals. Adding to that, when ever he was given chance he performaed very well ( match at sansiro is an example).

andersson...mmm for me he had an on off season. Season started when he was off to olympics, then had an injury. He picked up another injury lately. But when he was given chance, he did well in some matches.

Carrick has been truly world class for the last couple of seasons. So IMO he is the automatic choice. But the question is what is the best combination.

i think that depends on the type of opposition we are facing. for example against pool, many guys were of the impression that to counter the threat of gerard playing in behind torres we should have gone with 4 3 3

or in matches where we need energy, we should go with fletcher as he does that job very well.

what do the guys feel...???
The quesiton is who should play next to him..?

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Ronaldo - Carrick - Scholes - Park

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
at our best,

Ronaldo-Carrick-Scholes-Giggs.
could be...because that line up can be used as 433 as well as 442.

but i wouldnt forget the role that flecther played in san siro.

may be against the BIG teams that play 433 flecther will play the DM role and giggs, carrick/scholes will provide the creativity.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
may be the title of the thread is confusing....i wanted to ask the guys about central mid field...not the mid field in total....

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
i want to see Park playing as DM, with the stamina he's got and fighting spirit he should do very well... plus this would take him further away from the goal so that he wouldn't waste so many golden chances.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
i want to see Park playing as DM, with the stamina he's got and fighting spirit he should do very well... plus this would take him further away from the goal so that he wouldn't waste so many golden chances.
What's this thing United fans have of playing people so drastically out of position.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Worst idea in the history of ideas, worse than playing Alan Smith in midfield because he's got fighting spirit.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
What's this thing United fans have of playing people so drastically out of position.
WTF are you talking about? i play him there all the time in PES DUH! :googly:

Worst idea in the history of ideas, worse than playing Alan Smith in midfield because he's got fighting spirit.
NO! :eek: seriously? NOO...!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
i think the best central pairing, in theory, would be Anderson and Carrick. They still have years in them and can develop a strong partnership. Anderson is virtually complete. Carrick is also good in the holding role and passing and stuff....

Anyway, I think those two will be our central mids fer years to come.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
WTF are you talking about? i play him there all the time in PES DUH! :googly:

NO! :eek: seriously? NOO...!
Don't you remember the Alan Smith episode? It doesn't matter if you run alot and have all the fighting spirit in the world. If you dont have a excellent football brain and passing range you dont belong anywhere near a Manchester United midfield.

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Don't you remember the Alan Smith episode? It doesn't matter if you run alot and have all the fighting spirit in the world. If you dont have a excellent football brain and passing range you dont belong anywhere near a Manchester United midfield.
well i think park does not have a great pace nor does he have great skill and most defiantly no finishing what so ever, now these things are a must have in winger IMO. a DM should not have the passing skills of scholes or carrick no, a DM should have outstanding stamina, great tackling ability, as you said an excellent footballing brain and good short passing ability, now park has all of that eventhough his footballing brain is not that outstanding but it is still good and he is very good at intercepting passes and i dont want a DM to pass like carrick, i just want him to take the ball give it to carrick, scholes ronaldo... and it is these ppl who should make that pass or take the ball as near as possible to goal.

yeah i think park has what it takes to make a decent DM, but thats just an assumption and thats why i said i want to see him there to judge if he is up for it and i dont see what is so wrong with trying to play ppl out of their position for a while and i wont go through the various examples that such thing actually does work.

·
Registered
196 Posts
plus this would take him further away from the goal so that he wouldn't waste so many golden chances.
You could argue the fact that Park gets in them positions purely because he works his nut off.

But yeah, Park does everything BUT score or make that vital pass.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I say

-------------PB------------
----Vidic15----Lauren----NG

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Scholes-Carrick, IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts