Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in relation to the comments made towards AC Milan's style of play in recent years.....

How do you people define 'good' preferably with reference to tactics and other things.

I see good football as expressed by a team with....

1) A variety of styles of play...wether it be offensive, counter-attacking or containment etc

2) A team that can open up sides with a variety of passing, using all areas of the pitch...not just down the middle

3) A team that can keep the ball for long periods of time and show the patience to build up a move, without being direct.

4) An ablity to change tactics at will, mid-game if things are not going to well for them.

5) Teams that do not concede too many goals

6) Teams that commit certain players to certain roles, this enforces a disipline which make it difficult for opposing teams to break down your side.

I will say more on this later.... i dont bleieve all of these ideas have to be applied for a team to play good football, however i do believe sides that fufill most of these characteristcs are

Milan

Arsenal

Deportivo (especially a few years ago)

Chelsea

you know what..... Real Madrid are thereabouts too!

What do you think?

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
A team that can play slow then put some speed when it needs, that can counter attack fast, make great triangulations and great individual plays.

Milan sometimes is boring not because they defend well, or give too much attention to defense. Yesterday they played open like hell but their game was uninspired, same predictiable plays, no one in the midfield comanding the game, no spark from the midfield, Kaka is not as unpredictiable as he used to be either his role or his form is the cause.

And as much as you guys praise Pirlo he is not good enough when he moves up field, his roles in deep play making, he never makes a good impact close the attack and Kaka while a great player is not a natural man to controll the midfield, would be good to see someone with flair upfront that can organize the game.

The only player that is exciting to me in Milan with enough regularity, aside Shev, is Cafu and for christ sake he is a FB, I have seen him carry the attack enough times in Serie A. Also the choices for LB are a joke sometimes, why not risk Serginho, or at least let him start a couple of times in the place of Seedorf. Worst use of a great LB, he was brilliant like Cafu but on the left.

Play Kaladze, that not only sucks at going forward, but can´t defend and when he has to clear a ball he gives a pass back :howler:

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
6) Teams that commit certain players to certain roles, this enforces a disipline which make it difficult for opposing teams to break down your side.

thats bad football, to limit certain players like Shev and Kaka are a waste. They bloody know what to do inside the pitch much better than most coaches, what a coach should be doing is creating ways for them to have a freerole.

A team like Barça should only limit their pivot and defenders, you just can´t put Deco, Xavi and Ronaldinho in a fixed spot.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Liternit said:
Milan sometimes is boring not because they defend well, or give too much attention to defense. Yesterday they played open like hell but their game was uninspired, same predictiable plays, no one in the midfield comanding the game, no spark from the midfield, Kaka is not as unpredictiable as he used to be either his role or his form is the cause.

And as much as you guys praise Pirlo he is not good enough when he moves up field, his roles in deep play making, he never makes a good impact close the attack and Kaka while a great player is not a natural man to controll the midfield, would be good to see someone with flair upfront that can organize the game.

The only player that is exciting to me in Milan with enough regularity, aside Shev, is Cafu and for christ sake he is a FB, I have seen him carry the attack enough times in Serie A. Also the choices for LB are a joke sometimes, why not risk Serginho, or at least let him start a couple of times in the place of Seedorf. Worst use of a great LB, he was brilliant like Cafu but on the left.:

Yeah lol.... Okay first of all we spent enough time on yesterdays game and we all accept that milan were poor.

Second: The whole point of Pirlo's game is that he doesnt make the impact from up close (unless set pieces) but that he can control a football game 50 yards away from the enemy goal...that's why he is talented.

Third: Pirlo Controls the midfiled, Kaka was never bought to do that, the whole point of kaka is that he is quick, direct, can go past people, and can shoot, he is not a out and out playmaker which is why ancellotti liked to play him with Rui Costa before Silvo Burlusconi but his big mouth in it and said Milan must play 2 upfront

Fourth: Maldini/stam (rotation) are the LB choices, Kaladze only played cos there was no Nesta, therefore i would not call Milan's LB choices a joke

Fifth:I find kaka Seedorf and Pirlo exciting, wether you do not is your opinion.

Most Milan fans will tell you that injuries took care of Serginio ages ago, yes he was very good though

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Anything not played by Milan or Chelsea or Liverpool or Inter in Cuper's days

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulsar36 said:
or Inter in Cuper's days
ahahahahah dont forget Zacherronni

The ironic thing is....even though Cuper was clearly the first male case of PMS....and he was the cause of ronaldo leaving, he was only one game away from being a legend and winning lo scudetto.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Perfect dark said:
Yeah lol.... Okay first of all we spent enough time on yesterdays game and we all accept that milan were poor.

Second: The whole point of Pirlo's game is that he doesnt make the impact from up close (unless set pieces) but that he can control a football game 50 yards away from the enemy goal...that's why he is talented.

Third: Pirlo Controls the midfiled, Kaka was never bought to do that, the whole point of kaka is that he is quick, direct, can go past people, and can shoot, he is not a out and out playmaker which is why ancellotti liked to play him with Rui Costa before Silvo Burlusconi but his big mouth in it and said Milan must play 2 upfront

Fourth: Maldini/stam (rotation) are the LB choices, Kaladze only played cos there was no Nesta, therefore i would not call Milan's LB choices a joke

Fifth:I find kaka Seedorf and Pirlo exciting, wether you do not is your opinion.

Most Milan fans will tell you that injuries took care of Serginio ages ago, yes he was very good though
1) Seems you don´t eaccepted it too well though

2) Fine, but I always like players that can do both roles. Like Veron did in his prime.

3) Thats why I don´t enjoy the style, much rather see a true playmaker.

4) I was talking about that game, but if you wanna get specific, Maldini was no longer playing LB. He only was moved there again because of Stam and back then it was always Pancaro as the first choice and Kaladze as second.

5) I do find Kaka exciting, but less and less. And Pirlo and Seedorf were never much of flair players like Kaka, Pirlo might pick that nice pass from far but he was never a wildcard that would come to the box as a surprise element and to me all the second DMs should do that.

6) Serginho current form is much better than Kaladze

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Liternit said:
1) Seems you don´t eaccepted it too well though

2) Fine, but I always like players that can do both roles. Like Veron did in his prime.

3) Thats why I don´t enjoy the style, much rather see a true playmaker.

4) I was talking about that game, but if you wanna get specific, Maldini was no longer playing LB. He only was moved there again because of Stam and back then it was always Pancaro as the first choice and Kaladze as second.

5) I do find Kaka exciting, but less and less. And Pirlo and Seedorf were never much of flair players like Kaka, Pirlo might pick that nice pass from far but he was never a wildcard that would come to the box as a surprise element and to me all the second DMs should do that.

hmmmmm number 5 troubles me....however i accept your opinion... i see your from Sao Paolo, please tell me if i am wrong.... but i kind of know you were going to say that.... as far as i know wanting to see fast paced football with lots of goals is the brazil way...and the fans always wanna see that football no matter what...Is this not why some Brazil fans are not big fans of kaka, because he doesnt play the 'brazil' way no? I have always seen him as a more direct european style player which is the reason i think he did so well in serie a so quickly.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Perfect dark said:
hmmmmm number 5 troubles me....however i accept your opinion... i see your from Sao Paolo, please tell me if i am wrong.... but i kind of know you were going to say that.... as far as i know wanting to see fast paced football with lots of goals is the brazil way...and the fans always wanna see that football no matter what...Is this not why some Brazil fans are not big fans of kaka, because he doesnt play the 'brazil' way no? I have always seen him as a more direct european style player which is the reason i think he did so well in serie a so quickly.
Here the pace of football is slow, they will pass around and only put speed when there is a chance and in counters. Everyone likes Kaka here, no wonder he is a starter for the NT, but much like in Milan he is expected to do a role that its not his best, he should never be the first one to get the ball to start a counter, or be in the middle with his back waiting for a pass, he should be the one running open to receive that pass and then start pulling the counter.

He is a player that needs a bit of open space to be brilliant, and everyone loves the way he is direct! Thats how we wanna see football, we just can´t stand a pass back, or a player that holds the ball in the wrong time (that might be one of his flaws, but mostly when they expect him to be something he is not)

He is brilliant at pushing the counter when he gets a good ball and when he plays close to the box, there his passing is great. But I just don´t like when he is expect to work as a playmaker.

About 5, I do give that on his day Seedorf is great. But he is very inconsistent and sometimes he stays back a bit, I just don´t know why since hardly the LB goes forward with the same frequency as Cafu.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Liternit said:
Here the pace of football is slow, they will pass around and only put speed when there is a chance and in counters. Everyone likes Kaka here, no wonder he is a starter for the NT, but much like in Milan he is expected to do a role that its not his best, he should never be the first one to get the ball to start a counter, or be in the middle with his back waiting for a pass, he should be the one running open to receive that pass and then start pulling the counter.

He is a player that needs a bit of open space to be brilliant, and everyone loves the way he is direct! Thats how we wanna see football, we just can´t stand a pass back, or a player that holds the ball in the wrong time (that might be one of his flaws, but mostly when they expect him to be something he is not)

He is brilliant at pushing the counter when he gets a good ball and when he plays close to the box, there his passing is great. But I just don´t like when he is expect to work as a playmaker.

About 5, I do give that on his day Seedorf is great. But he is very inconsistent and sometimes he stays back a bit, I just don´t know why since hardly the LB goes forward with the same frequency as Cafu.
Total knowledge there i cannot question that post

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Good football is absolutely the exact opposit of what we have all seen in Chelski Vs Liverpool match! That was appalling with a big "A".

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Real Madrid, Ronaldo, Galacticos....

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Pooh said:
Good football is absolutely the exact opposit of what we have all seen in Chelski Vs Liverpool match! That was appalling with a big "A".
The hardest thing was to try and stay awake, at the end I couldn't even tell if a match had been played or if they were still warming up.

Dagoods said:
Real Madrid, Ronaldo, Galacticos....
Come on goods, read the title of the thread before replying;)

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Come on goods, read the title of the thread before replying
4-2 - Enough Said!

·
Registered
625 Posts
yaf said:
Good football is what I did not see at the Chelsea match today
LOL :D

BTW, I agree on Liternit's point that except Kaka, Milan midfielders don't run at the box often enough and not contribute enough in terms of goal scoring. This is something we need to improve. We lack good goal scoring midfielders. Kaka last season scored regularly, but not this season.

I also agree that Pirlo can do better if he runs forward more often. Anybody remembers the 1-0 game vs Chievo a week ago? Seedorf was playing at Pirlo's role due to Pirlo's injury. His passing was not as good as Pirlo, but he ran forward and played a one-two with Kaka(?) and scored the winning goal. This is what Pirlo needs to do more often. He has the ability and he can have more impact.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Genjuro

this might be more a tactical demand from the coach, I doubt its down to Pirlo´s style.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
barça said:
Come on goods, read the title of the thread before replying;)
:D Goods may very well be a form of Artificial Unintelligence that can only reply from a limited library of standard phrases ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts