Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are we buying old cronies instead of young whipper snappers?

I knew it was a mistake getting a foreign manager in, Houllier hasn't got a clue about english football.

Let's get rid of him and appoint Phil Thompson, someone who knows what the score is.

And can we sign some ENGLISH players this summer please !

·
Registered
441 Posts
The thing about old croonies is that they are experienced. If they are intelligent too then they are excellent teachers. Mcallister has come in to coach more than anything. Oh and he scored more goals playing for Coventry than any of our Midfielders. Plus he is free - Sounds a pretty good decision to me.

English players are currently well overpriced, so why waste the money? Plus who?
We need a left winger - name one we can buy who is english?
We need a left back - name an english left back that we can buy?
We need a midfielder who can command a game - again which english player do you have in mind?

H. is reforming both the team and the structure of the team. He is an intelligent man, with wide contacts, with a tactrical eye who is an avid Liverpool fan. He will undoubtedly bring greatness back to this club. Would you seriously swap that for a different manager and if so which english manager?

Give the man some time, and if you are a Liverpool fan start supporting us instead of moaning on about nothing.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, he might be experienced, I'll give you that and he's scored a few goals, but he's only going to be here for one season, what's the point in that?

And where do you get the idea that he will be a coach?

Why do we need a left winger when we have Berger and Richie Partridge about to break into the first team?

There are some 72 english clubs, all of which have at least one left back, are you trying to saythat there isn't one decent one among them? how about Harley, Le Saux, Winterburn, Thatcher. Not to mention Traore from our reserves.

Midfielders who can command a game? Wise, Gerrard, Scholes, Beckham, etc. theres loads of them. And i don't think we need any more midfielders unless we get rid of one or two that we already have.

Houllier has had time, he's been there for two seasons already and he's clearly no better than Evans was.

I DO support Liverpool, which is why i want to see us winning things, and i think that won't happen with the present manager. We are in exactly the same situation as we were when Evans came 4th in a two horse race some years back.

I am not moaning about nothing. I am making valid points !

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
yeah but ypu said we should buy young players and then talked of....Nigel Winterburn. I don't think that a world class left back can be bought who is English and the best available may be Thatcher or Hinchcliffe.
Midfielder - Mica Hyde, Bryan Hughes both young and very good.

Houllier has done a lot in his first season and we should really get behind him.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Winterburn? And you complain of old cronies??How many times has Winterburn seen Haleys Comet???? McAllister is a very shrewd "buy" (he cost nothing). Remember Strachan when he went to Leeds? I'd want an old croney like that in my team.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Harley - not for sale

Le Saux - not far sale, hates LFC, ****e

Winterburn - we may actually be making an approach, for the same reason as Mcallister.

Thatcher - too expensive and not good enough

Traore - not english

Wise - not for sale

Gerrard - The Liverpool one we have, the other one ain't English. Don't understand why you've listed him.

Scholes and Beckham - No comment except that I thought you said you were a Liverpool fan.

ie Theres not 'loads of them'

And Houllier publicly stated that he would like a wide left winger, obviously you didn't catch that one.

Houllier is far better than Evans could ever be so don't make me laugh. Within one season we have the best Premiership defence. We can and will build on this. Notice now that H. has moved the emphasis to his midfield. Notably Fergiescum took four years to win anything (and he isn't english either).

OK you may not be moaning, but your arguments are groundless and sound a hell of a lot like a glory hunter. Give it time and have patience - it will come.

Oh and I am not about to tell you anything about Anfield, nor do I have to.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I do agree with another point you made however ( I agreed with your point about calamity). Whilst the offer has been made to Mcallister, he hasn't signed yet - everyone seems to think he has.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I saw Traore playing last week. He's a giant of a boy! Big, tall and strong. Could be a good'un next year. Good passer of the ball too, switches it over the far wing nicely.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
No Elizabeth, we are not back to where we were under Evans when we came 4th in a 2 horse race. For starters, Mr Houllier can spot talent, unlike Mr Evans who couldn't spot a good player if he came up and kicked him in the head!
Look at the quality of players so far bought by Houllier - Traore, Hyppia, Henchoz, Heggem (bought joint with Evans, we can see who picked him though!), Camara, Hamann, Heskey and Smicer who admitedly hasn't shone yet.
Now compare this to the players bought by Evans, Babb, Scales, Kvarme, McAteer, Ince, Berger (probably his best signing), Dundee, Friedel and Riedle (another old Cronie as you put it!)

If you can't see the difference in quality of players, then I'm afraid you don't have a clue when it comes to football.

Next point of comparison, the discipline issue, Evans let the players do as they please, Houllier has the club running much, much tighter and comes down hard on players who step out of line. Ask Paul Ince about that!

~ There are some 72 english clubs, all of which have at least one left back, are you trying to say that there isn't one decent one among them? how about Harley, Le Saux, Winterburn, Thatcher. Not to mention Traore from our reserves. ~

Ok tell me how much it would cost to prise Harley from Chelsea? I'm not even going to mention the others, because apart from Winterburn (who is too old by your standards) they are not good enough to play for Liverpool. Thatcher is so average it is unreal, he's no better than Matteo!
The point is that there are maybe 2-3 average to good left backs who are English, and their prices are inflated, why pay 5 million for Thatcher when you could sign Lizarazu pr Sergi for 3 million?

~ Midfielders who can command a game? Wise, Gerrard, Scholes, Beckham, etc. theres loads of them. And i don't think we need any more midfielders unless we get rid of one or two that we already have. ~

I disagree with this point as well, apart from the getting rid of one or two, for me Murphy will never be quite good enough, and Thompson is just about hard work with little skill.
You look at the dissapointing end to the season and will find it was lack of creativity and wide play that cost us in the last 5 games. Berger and Smicer are both better behind the front two, and their natural instinct is to cut inside. So for me we need 2 new wingers, one on the left and one on the right. McAllister is a stop gap central midfielder (if he signs - which looks likely) for a season or two until Houlliers targets either become available or we are playing in the Champions league and can attract them.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
What a load of crap elizabeth!

Winterburn? yeah he is goodf,but maybe a bit immature and unexperienced...GET REAL!

Le Saux? I'm sure Fowler will welcome him at Liverpool with open arms...

Harley is not for sale and I dont feel like spending half our money on a left back...

Thatcher is good not something special but good.Would you give for him 6 millions???? N E V E R !!!

I dont care what nationality the player is as long as he is good.If you want us to take the spice boy or the redhair bastard go and support Man Utd,because these two overrated (let alone overpriced) bitches will never play for liverpool.THANK GOD! So if Houllier buys a chinese left back who is like roberto Carlos I dont give a damn about his nationality.This is football,not Ku Klux Klan "thew one is like this,the other is not that".If you want a team full of english players go and support Wrexam or Swidon.

I'm not english and I get happier and happier every time Liverpool signs a new foreighner because I see all over the internet english journalists getting angry about this...still I would take Hamann over Ince every day and I would pick Hyypia over Ruddock even if my life was on that...screw nationalities!

------------------
Parma will fight back...FORZA PARMA!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes Kat they aren't for sale. Think about it - How would people react if Vialli (with the exception of Sutton for obvious 'couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo' reasons) sold his only English players?

Anyway why the f**k would we want to buy them?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Ok, firstly, Razor, you forgot to mention the wonderfully skilled (ie. none) Oyvind Leonhardsen in the list of "talents" who were bought by RE.

As for wingers, how about teenager Tommy Smith from Watford? He looks very much like a hot prospect for the future (sorry, too much CM 99/00)

Finally, "My players have one nationality, and it's Liverpool Football Club; they speak one language, and it's football." Who said that.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Very true Amo, who cares what nationality as long as they are good enough to play for the club!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Very true LFCnet, I did also (as pointed ou by Lizzy) forget Ferri, Song and Meijer for GH.

In fact Leo was also one of RE's better signings. i.e he didn't have many good ones !

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hmm... still no response to my suggestions of Tommy Smith - I lost count how many times I've mentioned his name...

I've an Australian source (?) who kept telling me how good a yougster by the name of Brett Emerton is. Any Australians here?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Tommy Smith is good but no-body blinked an eye at my suggestions of Hyde, Hinchcliffe and B Hughes as well.

About the nationality thing, the only nationality I really want to play for the pool is Welsh (obvious reasons). Apart from this I don't care as long as they are commited to the cause i.e. Berger, Haaman etc. I do not want a foreigner a la Emerson who gets home sick all of a sudden.

·
Registered
708 Posts
How about Garteth Barry for a left back? How come nobody mentioned him. He is young and English, and might want to move to a better team. He would probably be overpriced, true, but LFC has a lot of money to spend. Currently he plays on the left in a back three, but I see no reason why GH coudln't convert him into a true left back. If Barry doesn't come, how about: Sergi, Georgatos from Inter, Lizarazu, or Arthur Numan?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Sorry Pool, but I don't rate Hinchcliffe, I think he could be useful at corner kicks, but he's not pacy enough for a fullback. I don't know much about Hyde and B Hughes, so I won't comment.
Barry would be a good signing, but he would be way overpriced, and I don't see the point in signing an English player for 6 or 7 million when you can get a proven international for 3 million in Lizarazu or Sergi!

Another good English Left back is Michael Ball, but again he would be overpriced!

I don't know much about Tommy Smith either, he's looked good in the few games I've seen him play, but not sure over a season!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts