Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Honorable Mention, December 2010 Photo Contest
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had to pick a squad for one game, what would it be?

4-2-3-1

Howard
Cherundolo----Onyewu-----Bocanegra-----Pearce

Edu------Bradley

Adu------Donovan-------Beasley

Altidore​

Subs: (7) Hahnemann, Califf, Spector, Wynne, Kljestan, Dempsey, Cooper.

I would make Edu play CDM. He could never go into attacking third, except for set pieces. Bradley would get more forward. He would be a mix of CM/CAM. Only Cherundolo or Pearce can go forward. Never both at the same time. Adu, Donovan, and Beasley can change position at will. Kind of like Roma, a revolving door attack.

·
Registered
69,362 Posts
Howard
Spector - Onyewu - Bocanegra - Pearce
Adu - Bradley - Beasley
Donovan
Altidore - Dempsey

really a 4-4-2 with Donovan pushing uo a bit more. As for Spector, he has got to get healthy, but when he does and if he is a regular with West Ham, he can be a solid right back for the NT. As for youngsters, Edu, Wynne, Kljestan, Szetela, Parkhurst and Guzan should be looked at

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Kljestan is gonna be ballin' out of control. I love that kid, I think he's our best attacking mid option.

Well, maybe Bradley Jr, but he hasn't been played at the position for the Nats.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
beasely.......Cooper......donovon.......sasha

..................Adu.............Edu
or bradely

Pearce...........Gooch.......Subotic..or marshall.......wynne

howard

Cooper is a scorer and hes been doing it so far for the nt team. Wynne is a stud...one of the best 1v1 defenders in world...yes in the world...hes a freakish athlete.sasha can control the tempo and donovon and adu togther is a dream pairing i want to see them togther..they can def. take this team to new hts...edu is a better athlete than braley but bradley has that heart and intensity that a team needs

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
wait mastroeni over both edu and bradley...he is the cog of this team , no doubt abt it

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
watchout forcharie davies...hes coming back from aserious knee injury has played well in europe with 15 goals this yr...with his speed , explosivness and technique...hell be the striker that the us fans have been waiting for

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wynne is a stud...one of the best 1v1 defenders in world...yes in the world...hes a freakish athlete.
Wynne is one of the best 1v1 defenders in the world? Maybe Canada and US, but the world? :howler: Don't get me wrong, I love Marvel Wynne. I watched Wynne at the World Youth Championships for the U20's. He was brillant. But saying he is a world great is laughable. Why isn't he at Real Madrid or Manchester United then?

wait mastroeni over both edu and bradley...he is the cog of this team , no doubt abt it
Mastroeni is OLD!!! All he is good at is kicking people and getting sent off. That's it.

watchout for charlie davies...hes coming back from aserious knee injury has played well in europe with 15 goals this yr...with his speed , explosivness and technique...hell be the striker that the us fans have been waiting for
While those are good stats for Sweden, do you really think he can do that at international level?

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot, Chad Marshall? Not Bocanegra or Califf or DeMerit or Conrad?

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Marshall is better than Califf, DeMerit and Conrad. Hands down. No competition.

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marshall is better than Califf, DeMerit and Conrad. Hands down. No competition.
Califf is decent. I saw him play in a match for the US once, I forget against who though. It is hard to judge who is better when Califf plays in Norway. I've only seen him play once or twice. He looked good though.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
WE don't know yet!!!

WE will be in a lot of competitions next year (2009), if by the end of the year WE are unable to pick a quality starting 11 and apt subs, WE will again be the laughing stock of World Football.

It seems strange to say so, if you look at recent history, but WE get NO RESPECT from for what has been accomplished in such a short time. WE have qualified for 5 consecuitve WC finals, very few if any Nations can boast said, but still WE are looked down upon by the soccer snobs. I, for one, am getting sick of it.

The Rossi, Subotic sagas just adds salt to an ever festering wound that I as a FANATIC want US Soccer to begin healing, NOW !!!

RECENT US Soccer History:

1990 (23rd: -8 GD) (last 24 team tournament)
0-1 v Italy
1-2 v Austria
1-5 v Czechs (1 Red card : Eric WYNALDA 52')

(A draw from HELL. 3 European teams; 1 the recent EU champs, Czechs)

1994 (16th: -2 GD)
1-1 v Switzerland
2-1 v Colombia
0-1 v Romania
0-1 v Brazil (1 red card: Fernando CLAVIJO, We also loose our BEST player in 1st halt to a flying elbow)

1998 (32nd: -4 GD)
0-2 v Germany
1-2 v Iran
0-1 v Yugoslavia

WE were clasified as finishing "last" in this tournament, by 0 points, though:
Scotland was -4 GD with 1 draw
Saudi Arabia -5 with 1 draw
Bulgaria -6 with 1 draw
South Korea -7 with 1 draw

WE PLAYED Germany & Yugoslavia.

2002 (8th)
3-2 v Portugal
1-1 v South Korea (HOST) (PK save by Friedel)
1-3 v Poland (PK save by Friedel)
2-0 v Mexico
0-1 v Germany (WE outplayer them. PERIOD)

2006 (25th)
0-3 v Czechs
1-1 v Italy : (2 Red Cards: Mastroeni 45': Eddie Pope 47' (2 yellow. He committed 4 fouls in the match))
1-2 v Ghana : (PW Winner)

The Serbs finished dead last with 10 goals allowed & 2 for (-8).
I haven't heard a lot of screaming about how that can't play football.

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the news that Chad Marshall was told by Mainz that he wouldn't start and his decision to stay in MLS, anybody still want to say that he should be ahead of Califf, DeMerit, or Conrad in the depth chart for the National Team at CB? At least Califf and DeMerit play in Europe and start. Conrad is equal to Marshall, though Conrad is aging. I'm not the only one who thinks Marshall isn't international quality. Not picked for Nats since 2005. Not even for BS friendlies against Sweden's B team or games like Barbados!!! If you can't get selected for the Barbados game...

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Yes, he should be ahead of Califf, DeMerit and Conrad.

Califf starts in Denmark, which isn't a bid step up over MLS. The only reason players go to Scandinavia is $$$. Marshall could've easily found another team to play for in Europe, but he chose to stay with the best team in MLS. It's a good day for the league. The Crew has retained almost all the parts of their championship team.

Get over your obvious hate of MLS. You seem like the type of fan that hates MLS because it isn't at the same level as La Liga or the EPL.

·
15,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't hate MLS. You're right, it's not the same level as La Liga, EPL, Seria A, etc. It's only been around for 14 years. However, being a good player in MLS isn't that hard. Look at Darren Huckerby for San Jose. He was a very good SECOND DIVISION player in England, bad Premiership player. He came to MLS last year and was one of the top 5 players. Marshall can stay in Columbus and dominate if he wants too. Just remember though that when Donovan was in LA all those years people said he had no ambition and couldn't cut it in Europe. Now's he's on the way to Bayern to prove everyone wrong. That is what I wanted Chad to do, prove me wrong. BTW, players go to Europe for reasons other than $$$: Champion's League, UEFA Cup, playing against a higher calibre of player, etc.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Chad is only 24. He will be playing in the CCL next season. He'll be able to showcase his skills against the best in the continent. Is the 2. Bundesliga really that much better than MLS? Matt Taylor who couldn't get a game in MLS is scoring for TuS Koblenz.

I don't think this shows Marshall has a lack of ambition. This was a better choice for his career. He still has plenty of time to move abroad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts