Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clearly, I need a new measuring stick for what a world class player is. Previously, I've tended to consider it the top 5 players in the world in their position (or 10 for strikers or CB's), but huge talent shortages in positions means that I was wrong and this doesn't work. :( Clearly I can not have someone rated as a WC player when they are not as good as someone in a stronger position. So what should world class be exactly, who should qualify?

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
somene that would get in a world XI and you wouldn't think looks out of place, though if there is a shortage in a position then no-one in that position should be considered world class.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's gettable around by shifting anyway. Rather than a proper RW I'd just play Ronaldo or Messi there.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And that pic isn't showing at work, but I'm gonna assume it's of Del Piero.

·
Registered
24,253 Posts
World class means you're able to compete with the best in the World, simple! Might be top 10, top 100 or top 1000. Who cares?

If you're in the need for a more specific term, just put it in different words. :neutral:

Example 1: "Rooney is not World class" - very ambiguous

Example 2: "Rooney is not among the top 5 attackers in the World" - less ambiguous

Problem solved! :happy:

Happy to be of service! :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
53,193 Posts
Me!!Me!! Pick me!!!

P.S 0.68 goalscoring ratio :pp

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so this seems to be a random pics of Juve players thread now. Epic fail, must try harder.

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts
A world class player is a player that is one of the best in the world at his position, and that would not look out of place playing with world class players of other positions.
There are less than 100 world class players in the world. Maybe even as few as 40-50.
Or some such, I would think.

·
Registered
24,253 Posts
I appreciate the effort but am unwilling to vary my vocabulary.
Then you shall keep wandering in a World of misunderstandings my friend...

Good luck on your journey!

·
Administrator
53,193 Posts
Ok, so this seems to be a random pics of Juve players thread now. Epic fail, must try harder.
We are just playing with you because you were talking about Trez and Camo in the other thread :pp

I agree with your reasoning, but I wont try to establish some standard because the term is so ambigious, and people use it so differently it becomes moot to say it (its quite irrational term to a degree, because there is no real way to gauge it).

Rather just say one of the best players in the world or not etc. Because that description is used less and is more defenite then saying world class. To some point, I am sure every good player has been called world class this or that.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
somene that would get in a world XI and you wouldn't think looks out of place, though if there is a shortage in a position then no-one in that position should be considered world class.
This is a good place to start.

But I'm sure you could get someone like Owen in a first 11 and he wouldn't look out of place, but he wouldn't be as good as the rest of them.

Personally, I tend to term world class players as guys who can change a game on their own on a consistant basis.

edit: although this naturally makes it harder for centre backs.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
This is a good place to start.

But I'm sure you could get someone like Owen in a first 11 and he wouldn't look out of place, but he wouldn't be as good as the rest of them.

Personally, I tend to term world class players as guys who can change a game on their own on a consistant basis.

I think Owen would look out of place over the last few years, and your definition would disqualify all CBs.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts