Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My biggest thing, for me personally, but near enough 95% of the people on this forum... do not judge after 1 round of matches

After 1 round of matches the headlines were

How fantastic Holland are (but then even though they beat Australia, we saw their problems too)
How great Italy were, how much England have come on in an attacking sense, how poor Uruguay are because they lost to Costa Rica (then Costa Rica beats Italy, Uruguay beats England, Round 1 myth squashed)
Bosnia really looked good, Nigeria are trash because they failed to beat Iran (Nigeria beat Bosnia, Iran lose to Argentina in the last minute)
Germany look super, Ghana are naïve (They then draw)

Still some more matches to come and other theories from 1 round of matches to be obliterated :D

The truth is a game of football is just that, even when we get to the knockouts, teams who have played very well up to that point can lose in an instance. The World Cup even more so is unpredictable in this sense as it is just 1 game, even the Group Stage at times feels like a knockout game and I believe the international scene is much more competitive at a whole level than the Champions League for example where Barca/Madrid/Munich are so much better than even the mid level teams.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Saw the what will Brazil be remembered for thread, this can be added to that, although it is slightly different in what I am asking for.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I think what many have learnt so far in Brazil are:

- An underestimation of climatic conditions by many European teams. They were all busy in the summer preparing for the heat (training in saunas/customised energy drinks etc) but nothing will ever prepare sportsmen better than those already familiar and accustomed to the environment (Central American/South American teams).

- There are no longer weak teams in the World Cup. Gone are the days where the likes of Saudi Arabia or North Korea will turn up and get hammered 0-7 by a Germany or Portugal.

- Attack is the best form of defense. Attacking teams are being richly rewarded and teams set out to defend (there aren't many) most often than not will get found out or punished.

- Football still has the capacity to surprise. Although gone are the days in the 80s where a national team with 11 unknowns who have never appeared on our television screens proceed to capture the imagination of the world, there are still many players who have been relatively obscure prior to the tournament and set it alight in Brazil. If the magic of the English FA Cup is in giant-slaying drama, then the magic of the World Cup has always been about the unearthing of beautiful, unpolished gems in the game.

- International football has always, and will always, provide a spectator experience unmatched by club football. No matter how much your Bayern Munich/Man Utd/Real Madrid/Champions League fans will argue to the contrary, the World Cup will always, always, always be the Best Show on Earth. Club football is just 4 years of foreplay and all genuine football fans begrudgingly know it.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How young are you to only realise now, "don't judge a World Cup [or tournament] after the first match"?
I think a lot of people do this, not just myself or anyone else in particular (that said I am not necessarily saying I judged that much after 1 round of games, but I did write off a couple teams)

·
Registered
15,402 Posts
There is not really anything to learn, unless there are people who were unaware that cup competitions tear up the form book and with it any other preconceptions about favourites, dark horses and the like.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think what many have learnt so far in Brazil are:

- International football has always, and will always, provide a spectator experience unmatched by club football. No matter how much your Bayern Munich/Man Utd/Real Madrid/Champions League fans will argue to the contrary, the World Cup will always, always, always be the Best Show on Earth. Club football is just 4 years of foreplay and all genuine football fans begrudgingly know it.
Amen. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
That you can not count Lionel Messi out until the ref blows his whistle.

Also if players cant take the heat in this world cup, there is no doubt players will pass away on field if they play in qatar 2022. World cup should be taken away from qatar.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Additional things I've learnt from the World Cup in Brazil so far:

- The referee is only allowed by FIFA to draw a very specific semi-circular shaped crescent moon in front of the ball where the free kick is supposed to be taken. Of all the options available to him to mark the spot, including crosses, dots, or even around the entire circumference of the ball, a moon is the established standard.

- Fashion has come full circle. Other than middle school children who exchange their left shoe with his classmate in order to look "special" by having different colored footwear in front of their friends, the only other category of people who spot this particular trend are professional footballers at the World Cup. Even some goalkeepers have fallen prey to this summer's fashion disaster by having their left glove green and their right one pink.

- No human being on earth looks cool tilting their bodies towards the camera while crossing their hands at the same time. Absolutely no one. Please don't do that again, FIFA.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
A lively world cup so far. 2.86 goals scored per game which is higher than any world cup since 1970 and third highest overall.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Messi is past his peak but will still occasionally score great goals at the end of games, prompting commentators and pundits to change their minds from earlier in the game and declare that he's still the best in the world.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
That playing a World Cup in Qatar will be absolutely impossible unless they build indoor stadiums that regulate the heat. You simply cannot ask players to run for 90 minutes in 90+ degrees, humidity and heat.

·
Administrator
29,409 Posts
I wish europeans would learn geography. This talk about CONCACAF and commebol teams to be more adapted to the weather is ridiculous. Because they are in America? So, Iceland is more adapted to Portugal weather because both are in Europe? Brazil has several different weather conditions, to the point you will not be adapted to all and still will be familiar to some. And even some, Colombia played in Belo Horizonte and Brasilia, conditions they do not find at home. Uruguay do not have even beaches and is not used to the weather conditions they played. USA and Mexico do not have the same weather conditions all across their country even to be considered "alike brazil". Very few South American nations have the ecuatorial weather of Amazon and surprise, both that have it, diddnt play in Manaus (Ecuador and Colombia).

Europeans just did something wrong and do not have the great teams that "we" expected to have. England then, they prepared to host the tournament that would be canceled because stadiums would not be ready, a civil war would occur and no transport would work.

Additional things I've learnt from the World Cup in Brazil so far:

- The referee is only allowed by FIFA to draw a very specific semi-circular shaped crescent moon in front of the ball where the free kick is supposed to be taken. Of all the options available to him to mark the spot, including crosses, dots, or even around the entire circumference of the ball, a moon is the established standard.
Inshallah.

·
Registered
43,238 Posts
I learned that football players can double as pranksters.

Deco:

OO5oEBraYjo

Palacio:

2Pnngizp-1A

1 - 20 of 55 Posts