Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously guys, Italian football used to be so entertaining and highly regarded amongst the world and now I can only relate it to other leagues such as the Dutch, Belgian or Portuguese league. Hell, I even think watching Newcastle play in the championship is more interesting than watching Juventus play and im not even exaggerating.

So why did it happen? And why was it allowed to happen? What happened to the passionate fans and the passionate teams? Do they not care for football anymore?

Imo, you guys should start reducing your stadiums to 20,000 seater max so it can look like the stands are full too.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Actually it is more entertaining, if you go by definition, now than it used to be. Of course it is not as good though.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Hell, I even think watching Newcastle play in the championship is more interesting than watching Juventus play and im not even exaggerating.
But of course you aren't!

That said, this Juventus is particularly dreadful and surely gives a misleading portrayal of Italian football anno 2010. Not just their result compared to their expenditures and expectations--everything about them is ugly this year.

·
Administrator
52,887 Posts

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Hell, I even think watching Newcastle play in the championship is more interesting than watching Juventus play
try Udinese Calcio or AC Siena... you may change your views ;)

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Seriously guys, Italian football used to be so entertaining and highly regarded amongst the world and now I can only relate it to other leagues such as the Dutch, Belgian or Portuguese league. Hell, I even think watching Newcastle play in the championship is more interesting than watching Juventus play and im not even exaggerating.
Italian football used to be entertaining. Absolutely. I remember a couple of years back when it was so, so good. I felt sorry for anybody who wasn't watching it.

But don't take the piss by this Dutch, Belgian, Portguese and Championship crap. Roma and Fiorentina play very, very nice stuff and Serie A have got some great players, just not enough of them at the moment.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
The production of the games is so lousy it can make even the best games seem oddly archaic compared to games from other leagues.

I'm amazed how these media giants pay millions every year for the rights to the product, but fail to make the most of it.

Exibit A: Huntelaar's injury time goal in Catania.

[tuB]9LYIApmzIkk[/tuB]

5 different replay sequences, each worse than the other. :drunk:

Are they trying to follow the ball, the player, the zone of play. :confused:

It's like drinking Barolo from a coffee cup.

Imo, you guys should start reducing your stadiums to 20,000 seater max so it can look like the stands are full too.
Juventus did that, but it still isn't full. :lala:

·
Administrator
52,887 Posts
nice video

kind of surprising how many cool moves by di Natale there was
Why is it suprising? Di Natale its quite technical and skilled player. Has lots of flair.

And yeah very fitting for this thread hehe, here's more (good excuse to share this ridicolous collection :D):

[tub]nrTiv2TEomM&feature=related[/tub]

[tub]emoxZUQOshg&feature=related[/tub]

[tub]m4-kOvWikzM&feature=related[/tub]

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I think there are more Italian teams trying to "play football" now than in the past, but it's my perception. Others can tell better.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
What the hell is flair, anyway? It's just a word people pull out when thy want to diss a team or wax poetic about Brazil or Maradona.

Italy still has many skill players but they are not the kings of skill players since the market has changed and other countries can buy them. And to e honest, all this pace and speed of play people around cream about is a direct killer of flair. No time for pretty pieces of skill when everybody is pressing space and closing down time on te ball and trying to play quick one twos instead if looking around and making a play or a dribble.

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
Serie A was the most pacey league in the world when it was at its (relative) best, imo.

There's a difference in style, sure, but with the best athletes accumulated in a certain league, tempo will be high accordingly.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
Well Rivera retired ages ago :D

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,495 Posts
then came Baggio but he called it day a few seasons ago...
Now there's only VARGAS left :D:D:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts