Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What moments do you think were critical in giving a player more recognition.

My list :

* Rooney - Everton vs Arsenal. Before that he was just another chubby English teenage.

* R.Carlos insane freekick. Made him the king of free kick even though his freekick to goal ratio was low

* Del Pierro free kick against Real Madrid. Didn't know he was regarded highly as far as freekicks are concerned until that free kick

* Zidane's two headers against Brazil in France98. Took him from an excellent player to the best in the world

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
Zidane's is a definite, yeah. He wasn't even the best player of that tournament. Hell, he wasn't even the best French player of that tournament.

·
A true hero
31,455 Posts
I would say that, but I get the feeling Calcio meant to put "than he deserved" on the end of this.

·
Registered
46,104 Posts
Redondo's trick against Man Utd.

And R. Carlos for that free-kick against France.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Maradona in 86 with that perhap's arguably or maybe as the best ever goal in a World Cup confirmed his legendary status:proud:,Baggio in Italia 90 vs Czechoslovakia at the same time saying this bring's me mixed emotion's,Del Piero that backheel goal vs Dortmund Amr will love me for this.:flirt::happy::pp

P.S I don't know if these can be used as giving player's more recognition but they were no doubt defining and memorable moment's of football.:thumbsup::proud:

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
* Del Pierro free kick against Real Madrid. Didn't know he was regarded highly as far as freekicks are concerned until that free kick
He has been scoring much better freekicks than this one (which was really simple for him since the wall was terribly built) for ages.

·
Registered
46,104 Posts

* Zidane's two headers against Brazil in France98. Took him from an excellent player to the best in the world
Very disappointed in you, Calcio. :doh:

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
He has been scoring much better freekicks than this one (which was really simple for him since the wall was terribly built) for ages.
I agree... Del Piero has always been known to be a great FK taker...

Hagi's goal vs Colombia in 94

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Zidane's is a definite, yeah. He wasn't even the best player of that tournament. Hell, he wasn't even the best French player of that tournament.
Yeah he wasn't the best player in the tournament but are you saying Zidane is not World Class? :D

·
Registered
46,104 Posts
Figo vs England in Euro 2000. Not even his amazing performance against Arsenal in the CL before that made him as huge a name in European football.

Andrés Escobar's own goal vs USA in WC94. :(

Who was better than Zidane in WC98, btw?

·
Registered
44,368 Posts
Wasn't he sent off vs Saudi Arabia or something?
[tub]UGQ-Kh5Q04k[/tub]

Check out the sending off in the end of this video, some fantastic plays before that though.

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very disappointed in you, Calcio. :doh:
I can't remember people rating Del Piero highly as far as free kicks are concerned. Atleast in XT and I can pull some topics to prove that. His status went up in an instant after that FK.

Zidane. I don't want to go there again

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Huh?

Del Piero has always been regarded as a good freekick taker before this one (PS: it's one of his poorest, wall sucked big time).

He has 38 official freekicks with Juve and 4 with the azzurri, nevermind the freekicks he scored in friendlies, so he wasn't recognized before the one vs Madrid?

Simply lmao.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Del Piero that backheel goal vs Dortmund Amr will love me for this
He has 3 backheel goals(Torino, Dortmund and Siena) for us now, Ala Del Piero technique. ;)

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
I can't remember people rating Del Piero highly as far as free kicks are concerned. Atleast in XT and I can pull some topics to prove that. His status went up in an instant after that FK.
I can't speak for the others but it wasn't newsflash to the many XT'ers who have seen a bit of Del Piero's 15 years career and the 30+ FK's he scored. But regardless it's very possible that you feel that people around you, i.e. at school and in the streets, woke up to this evidence and now see him with a brand new eye. Where do you live?

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Ronaldinho freakish goal against England in 2002. Before that he was just another Brazilian playing in French league with goofy hair and bad teeth.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts