Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
55,889 Posts
if you speak magyar, you are magyar, simple as. they had certainly a strong influence though, definitely up there in the north, i.e Belgrade and everything north of it.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
this guy looks like every Magyar Warehouse labourer I have ever worked with:

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
if you speak magyar, you are magyar, simple as. they had certainly a strong influence though, definitely up there in the north, i.e Belgrade and everything north of it.
lol I used to work a warehouse job with this extremely flamboyant Magyar dude in his 50's who loved talking about Vojvodina and shit. He told me about the 10 bell salute for Belgrade that you mentioned earlier.

I think the guy was on the spectrum, but he had a funny ironic sense of humour. Don't know why he was working in a warehouse or me either for that matter..

·
Registered
65,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
lol I used to work a warehouse job with this extremely flamboyant Magyar dude in his 50's who loved talking about Vojvodina and shit. He told me about the 10 bell salute for Belgrade that you mentioned earlier.

I think the guy was on the spectrum, but he had a funny ironic sense of humour. Don't know why he was working in a warehouse or me either for that matter..
That's disgraceful for a Magyar to work at a warehouse.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Then he probably could be related to Izetbegovic. After all they were originally a muslim family from Belgrade.

btw Belgrade is also an ancient Hungarian city. In fact I wage that Most Serbs from the north are of Magyar descent (at least the cultured one's anyway)
80% of Belgrade was Muslim in the mid-1600s and if you take into account the population was just under 100k it's possible.

But we don't know if the Izetbegović's were really from Belgrade and even less if the Popovs were converts to Orthodoxy. The Novo Miloševo Popovs from Duško descends don't have a Muslim-heritage legend in the family and claim to have settled in Vojvodina in the second half of the 1700's. The only indicator of a possible Muslim background for Duško is his grandfather's name Omer.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
80% of Belgrade was Muslim in the mid-1600s and if you take into account the population was just under 100k it's possible.

But we don't know if the Izetbegović's were really from Belgrade and even less if the Popovs were converts to Orthodoxy. The Novo Miloševo Popovs from Duško descends don't have a Muslim-heritage legend in the family and claim to have settled in Vojvodina in the second half of the 1700's. The only indicator of a possible Muslim background for Duško is his grandfather's name Omer.

He doesn't look Serbian in the slightest.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
He looks German to me but he could also pass as a Czech (with some German roots).

Btw, I've been doing some more reading on Fleming and I'm now 99% sure Popov wasn't his inspiration. Apparently, the guy was a serious Slav-hater.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
lol really I didn't realize Bond hated Slavs.

He looks like he has possoble Turkish ancestry imo.
Think of all the crazy and sadistic or stupid Slav women characters in the book/movies...Ksenija Onatop, Tatjana Romanova, Rosa Khleb, Natalija Simonova etc...Fleming was a sick bastard, no doubt...in his books there was not ever one good guy Slav...Orumov, Žukovski, Orlov...perhaps Gogol and Puškin are exceptions but Fleming or the Bond writers paint them as rogues (essentially traitors)...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts