Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
A candidate of Barcelona's president (sorry for forgetting his name) said that he would like to use 45m pounds to sign Beckham. WHAT A HORRIBLE AND UNREASONABLE PRICE!!!!!!!!!!! It's about 1.5 Vieri!!!!! and if Figo is not leaving (I hope so) , there's ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE for Beckham. If we use 45m pounds to buy Beckham, then we should sell Figo for more than 90m pounds, which is impossible. Moreover, I don't think Beckham is suitable for La Liga, this guy doesn't have enough speed and skills to survive in Spain, so I think he better stay at Man U.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Beckham may be a wanker, but he is nasty....he can play in any league. After seeing him play he is one of the top three players in the world. Adding a person who can hit perfect crosses on the run, makes every striker better. He adds a demension that any midfielder wishes were truelly something they could do as well and as consistently as him.
;),:),:)

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
We don't need Beckham. He doesn't suit our system or league. The only thing he can is cross. And that might be enough in England, but in Spain it isn't. I think Beckham will go to Inter. They buy every hyped player.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
No way is Beckham one of the top three players in the world. He may be the top crosser of the ball but that does not make an all around player. The three best players all reside in Can Barca: Figo, Rivo, Kluivert.
Hopefully the top 4 if we could buy ZIZOU!

This buy goes against everything i think we should be looking for next season. WE NEED A BETTER DEFENSE! No one seems to want to strenthen this part of our team which has costed us so much the past season.!

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
I agree Carlos Miguel but unfortunately buying defenders doesn't seem to impress anyone, especially with those elections on the horizon. Another thing, after finally getting rid of VG and Nuñez, the last thing we need are the adventures of Posh Spice and Becks in our sports papers every morning.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beckham is over-rated !!!

I'm glad to hear you all (except 1) agree that Beckham isn't as good as he's made out to be. He crosses the ball well...since when does that add up to £45m :confused:. He hardly ever scores and tries to make every pass, even the simple ones, look like the flashiest effort since Valderamma's hairdo. He scores the odd free-kick but puts the majority of them into the wall or over the top. Rivaldo on the other hand manages to hit the target with almost all his free-kicks even if he doesn't score. He also worries as much about his hair as his football and would not settle at a club if he couldn't find the right hairdresser...basically he's an over-rated flashy ponce and i hope the candidate who named the transfer possibilty doesn't recieve a single vote :mad:.

Surely all candidates should concentrate on holding on to Barca's best player, and one of the worlds best, Figo and look to buy players for position where barca really need them. Thuram would be the ideal signing along with Riquelme. Other than that there are plenty of the young players who will develop over the next season such as Puyol, Gabri, Xavi, Nano and maybe Santamaria.
Remember Barca will also have 2 players back in Sergi and Luis Enrique now that Van Gaal is gone :).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree that the most important thing Barca should try to do is to keep the best players, look at our midfield, we almost have all the best players, though we can get a lot of $$$$$ from selling Figo, Rivaldo, Kluivert...but it would be an unwise decision. These players have fit into the system already, and it's quite difficult to find other players to replace them. However, I think we have to strengthen our defense, we need new defenders and goalkeepers. In addition, try to keep the young stars, they'll shine in the future.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I wouldn´t consider Beckham to be among the top three players in the world, but he has proven to have outstanding skills, not only on the right wing but also in central midfield. He really is great in assisting, I think each forward would be glad to play along a player like him. So I do not agree with most of you: Beckham is not overrated. But a signing only made sense if Figo really left the club (which I hope won´t happen), otherwise spending that much money is way too unreasonable.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Roger, you are right. No one who wants to get elected is going to talk about defenders. People want to hear about the great players that are going to be brought in to score loads of goals. Hopefully Serra Ferrer is planning out the signing of some very strong defenders. We don't really need anymore players in the attack. We have in my mind two of the top three candidates for the golden ball this year in our team: (Figo and Kluivert) and we have last years winner in Rivaldo. We were hugely unlucky not to win everything last year, and it came down to deficiencies in our defense not our attack. We had if i remember correctly the record for the most goals ever scored in a group stage of the champions league. We just couldn't stop our opponents the way the best teams should. This must be fixed or we are in for the same troubles this next season. I would like to see us go after some central backs with real class and i have to say no spanish defender showed me a lot of promise during Euro2000. I would like to get a Blanc, Desailly, Thuram, Nesta, Cannavaro, or a Montero. We really need this.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
It's funny you mentioned Blanc, Carlos Miguel. He was one of the most solid defenders to be seen in the Camp Nou. Nuñez used his name as one of the excuses for sacking Cruyff. If I remember rightly it went something like "It's now June and the only planning I've seen for next year is the signing of a 30-year old French defender". I can't remember if it was Robson or VG who got rid of him, but I think it was the latter.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Roger & CM, I totally agree with you. We don't need midfielders or strikers. We need defenders DESPERATELY! Our attack and midfield are among the best in the world. But our defense simply isn't. That's where it went wrong. We need one of the guys you mentioned. Only then we will have a realistic chance of grabbing all the prizes.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I am not a ManU fan, but I find it amusing how much you all underate Beckham. You say he can only cross the ball. Did you see his goal against Madrid at Old Trafford? He can make a long pass better than anyone else in the world. His free kicks are the second best (behind Mihailovic), and his work rate is second to none. That is where many of you fail to see Beck's value: He works so hard and is always tracking back and winning balls, unlike many attacking players. You all say he is slow, but he is not. His stamina is superb and his quickness is medium. Please, don't hate on a player just because you don't like the team he plays for.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
I believe many of us have expressed a lack of need for Becks in Barca than a hate for the guy. I believe he is a good player, I just don't think he is the man for the job at Barca. He surely will not play the central midfield role here, his only place would be on the wing but we are not planning to play with out and out wingers next year under SF plans. I don't agree that he is one of the best players in the world as so many try to say. He's good, but i don't put him in the top ten. He's number one in terms of publicity but that doesn't make a great footballer. All Barca needs is a stronger defense and a balding frenchman that can play like no one else on the planet.

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
I don't dislike or hate Beckham either. In fact I think he's a great player even though I do dislike Man U. As I said before, I don't want to see the Spice media circus here in BCN, that's all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts