Xtratime Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure that by now you have all heard about Nigeria's 2-1 victory in Dublin. Some of you might have evemn watched the match. I was there and know that Bielsa had his spies there as every responsible manager would.

Now I would like to know what if any, reaction the game has created in the Argentine media, footballing circles and on this site. Is it something that is dismissed as just another match or is there any excitement?

I tell you why I ask. Had that been Argentina that went to Dublin and beat the Irish on their home turf, the Nigerian football forum would have exploded with all sorts of theories and analysis of the game. Everyonme would have been detailing the Argentine goals, midfield, defence, use of set pieces, defending of corners and pace in the team. After your 2-2 draw with Cameroon, the site was buzzing for a week.

The general consensus on the Nigerian site now is that Argentina is the only serious challenger in the group and it is a good idea that the Eagles are playing them first, as Nigeria normally start tournaments well. With the injuries England has suffered for instance, every Nigerian is expecting a walk over in the last game.

I would like to have an Argentine position on this to have a balanced view.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I didn't see that game, i saw the gema you played against Jamaica, one of your defenders made a mistake that should have been an own goal, referee didn't see it, the ball went in, i see you have some interesting choices in attack, but your defense is very disorganized sometimes...it's a shame that Finidi and Oliseh are not going to the WC,they are great players, same with Agali,do you know why they are not going?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Politics

It is a long story Zeppelin but in a nutshell, Oliseh was the captain and Finidi the vice captain. During the African Nations Championship in Mali, they were not paid their bonuses and got aggresive with the football association rep on behalf of the rest of the team. They refused to meet the sports minister, so they were blacklisted. In Finidi and Oliseh's cases, their omission has nothing to do with football. Whereas with Agali, I do not think he is good enough.

The team thay played against Jamaica was a makeshift one. The game was used to select the remaining three players the coach said he was not sure about.

The defender in question Eric Ejiofor has no business in the team in my opinion. I hate the fact that he is going to the World Cup at all but as I know he will not be playing, that is fine. The team that played Ireland will be closer to the one that plays Argentina.

·
Registered
271 Posts
With the injuries England has suffered for instance, every Nigerian is expecting a walk over in the last game
lmao, good luck mate. Sorry, but if this is the case (which I doubt), then every Nigerian needs to wake up. England can suffer yet more injuries and they'll still be clear favourites to beat Nigeria. I wish Nigeria every luck in their task, but you've got to be realistic.

The ireland match - it wasn't just another match, it was a warm up for the world cup, and nothing is more feeble than that. I can imagine Ireland tip toeing around, unwilling to risk the smallest of injuries. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Leg100 please!

Leg100 I do agree with you that England are favourites to beat Nigeria but I can tell you here and now that it has more to do with sentiment that actual football. There is no case for judging England to be a better team than Nigeria either in terms of natural talent, team cohesion, mental strength or recent results. It is just pure sentiment.

I can see a clear case for Argentina being tipped to beat Nigeria but not England.

Now I find your remarks about the Ireland game very disapointing and frankly offensive. I was at the game and the Irish played their hearts out. I was full of admiration for their second half fightback. They fielded what is going to be their starting 11 against Cameroon and still got beaten. For your information, here are the line-ups. Please tell me how many players you know from each side.

Ireland: 4-4-2

**************Keane*************Duff****************

*******Kilbane****************************McAteer******

***************Keane*************Holland*************

***Harte*******Staunton*********Cunningham******Finan***

************************Given**********************

Nigeria: 4-4-2

************Ogbeche***********Aghahowa**********

*********Okocha****************Ikedia********

***********Kanu********Yobo**************

****Opabunmi******Okoronkwo******West*******Sodje****

******************Shorunmu************

Had you known anything about Nigerian football, you will have noticed that there are a few noticeable absentees, Celestine Babayaro probably the only one you are aware of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LEG100

Leg100 where are you from.. you logic sounds very English but I doubt you are !!

how can you pass judjement on a performace (ireland game) that you have obviously not watched.... Ireland were HUNGRY to win that game ... at HOME infront of their fans who were seeing them there for the last time before JAPAN.. .they were almomst in tears at the end of the game... .

the fact is they were lucky that Nigeria took it easy... and NIGERIA was the team afraid of injury....

IMHO Nigeria has no reason to fear England... Argentina ... yes... Sweden .. yes.. but not England... England have been riding on that win that was handed to them by a weak and uninspired German side.. and a LOT OF LUCK.... First thing England are not going to win any games in the group.. they may draw but they are unlikely to win....

anyway all this is talk.. we will see what happens.. WC is only 10 days away now.....

For you information.. I have posted an article from the IRISH times for you !!!! Written by an Irish man ofcourse!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Eagles soar at Lansdowne

By Paul Doyle Last updated: 16-05-02, 21:55

Ireland were outclassed at Lansdowne Road tonight by a Nigerian team with half a dozen Damien Duffs and a resilient defence.

The Africans may have a reputation for indiscipline but they exposed the deficiency of a rigid order as their extravagant individual skills made the hardworking Irish look decidedly stale.

Ballyboden’s boy wonder was, until the half-time introduction of Stephen Reid, the only Irish player to look anywhere near as gifted as the visitors, but it was another young striker who made the most telling early impression. 20-year-old Julius Aghahowa opened the scoring after only 9 minutes. The Shaktar Donetsk hotrod ignited celebrations amongst the hundreds of vocal Nigerian fans when he applied the finishing touch to a superb Jay Jay Okocha ball. Okocha was the orchestrator supreme, his fabulous feints and flicks frequently affording him the space to pick out any forward he wanted.

Ireland, fielding what may be their first choice eleven, had plenty of possession, but looked ponderous in comparison to the inspired visitors. Nonetheless **** McCarthy’s men created several opportunities.

Robbie Keane went close with a header from a Kevin Kilbane cross in the 14th minute and seven minutes later, dubious man-of-the-match, Steve Staunton stung goalkeeper Shorunmu’s fingers with a rasping drive from twenty yards. Matt Holland also tested the ‘keeper with a long-ranger as did Duff just before the break.

The Irish manager may have consoled his troops at half-time with the information that Group E opponent Cameroon are not as lavishly talented as their Nigerian neighbours, but any confidence he succeeded in instilling in them must have taken a battering when the visitors, who seldom accelerated beyond cruise control, doubled their lead just after the break.

Crewe Alexandra’s bandana-bearing Efe Sodje was the scorer, as he headed home a corner after being left totally unmarked in the six yard box. The battling defender capatilised on a dreadful breakdown of communication between Shay Given and skipper Roy Keane, the Cork man left flat footed as the Nigerian rose uncontested to head home from a fairly straightforward delivery.

Ireland persevered admirably and continued to menace the Nigerian defenders with game running and frequent crosses. On the hour mark McCarthy made a trio of attacking substitutions which seemed to inject extra zest into the boys in green. In the 69th minute the home team struck back in impressive fashion. The bustling Reid, who had planned to be on a Barbados beach tonight, burst past Taribo West and indirectly exchanged passes with Clinton Morrison before firing a ferocious fizzer into the top corner well beyond the reach of Shorunmu.

Ireland continued to pound away laboriously and their persistence was nearly rewarded when Ian Harte went close with a thirty-yard stinger, but as players began to ponder the consequences of injury, the match petered out into a neat exhibition although Mark Kinsella had a goal ruled out for offside.

Nigerian boss Festus Onigbende can now go to Asia confident that his side’s system of constant spontaneous combustion could well scorch their Group F opponents. Diligent Ireland, meanwhile, can be satisfied with another enthusiastic display but will know now that the difference between holding the great and defining the great is a frustratingly big one

Super Eagles soar at Lansdowne

·
Registered
5 Posts
leg100 said:
lmao, good luck mate. Sorry, but if this is the case (which I doubt), then every Nigerian needs to wake up. England can suffer yet more injuries and they'll still be clear favourites to beat Nigeria. I wish Nigeria every luck in their task, but you've got to be realistic.

The ireland match - it wasn't just another match, it was a warm up for the world cup, and nothing is more feeble than that. I can imagine Ireland tip toeing around, unwilling to risk the smallest of injuries. :rolleyes:
Hahaha! If Ireland were tip toeing around... I bet the super eagles were strolling with their hands in their pockets! :D :D

... don't worry mate, we'll try to bring those hands out of the pocket and give u a good smacking on June 2 (which incidentally is my birthday!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
..FIELD OF DREAMS!

.........U Argentine and English numbnuts better realise for one thing Nigeria was fielding FOUR PLAYERS out of position in that game against Ireland, and if U'd kindly reboot your measly brains and rewind your minds U'd also realise Nigeria was NOT HUSTLING to avoid injury!Meawhile Ireland, determined not to lose to the homecrowd was tackling hard and PULLING ON JERSEYS...as if they wish to disrobe our players!Dirty Dirty Irish football against Nigeria and still losing tells U the level of CLASS we bring to the field folks....and get ready to get WAXED in Japan!Besides playing four players out of position, none of the two reliable left backs we have were in that game..plus we just added one new WORLD CLASS striker into the power punch from the Jamaica game...I know ..I know..even y'all were drooling..but that's ok....that's the Nigerian pie...hot, delicious..and ready to serve!:D:D

Pa

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Leave the Leg100 be guys

Guys take it easy on this chap. Leg100 does not speak for most Argentine fans, he is just one newcomer to football who knows very little about the teams in the World Cup. I bet he has never heard of Julius Aghahowa, Austin Okocha, Taribo West, Celestine Babayaro, Ike Shorunmu, James Obiora or Isaac Okoronkwo before.

He is an Argentine who lives in Southampton and knows very little about what goes on outside those two teams. He obviously reads the Sun newspaper and believes the hype. I suppose he thinks England can win the World Cup, without realising that at the moment, England has the least talent in its squad of the four teams in Group F.

However, this is an open forum and everyone is free to ventilate their ideas. We have to bear in mind that a lot of people do not follow football as passionately as all of us. What Leg100 was in effect saying was that an African team will NEVER be able to beat England, whoever plays.

Now that does not strike me as the views of an intelligent and objective football fan. He did not tell us why he feels the England team is stronger, what players we are to look out for, what formation appears to be the winning one etc.

Leave him be guys. It is just ignorance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It appears I've stirred up some emotions in the entire Nigerian camp - all 4 of them.

Ok, the Irish Times article first....
The Irish manager may have consoled his troops at half-time with the information that Group E opponent Cameroon are not as lavishly talented as their Nigerian neighbours
This surprises me. I've always considered Cameroon to be a better and more experienced side than Nigeria, with some very great world class talents in the form of Lauren and Geremi. African Nations proved this.

Ireland continued to pound away laboriously and their persistence was nearly rewarded when Ian Harte went close with a thirty-yard stinger, but as players began to ponder the consequences of injury, the match petered out into a neat exhibition although Mark Kinsella had a goal ruled out for offside.
Case closed.

Hahaha! If Ireland were tip toeing around... I bet the super eagles were strolling with their hands in their pockets!
They probably were! Both sides have injuries to consider, not just Ireland. Saying Nigeria were the more lackadaisical is irrelevant.

IMHO Nigeria has no reason to fear England... Argentina ... yes... Sweden .. yes.. but not England... England have been riding on that win that was handed to them by a weak and uninspired German side.. and a LOT OF LUCK.... First thing England are not going to win any games in the group.. they may draw but they are unlikely to win....
I agree about the German game. England do suffer from complacency more than most. However, this was an important competitive match and to entirely ignore the result would be stupid.

Now that does of strike me as the views of an intelligent and objective football fan
Why thankyou :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
leg100 said:
It appears I've stirred up some emotions in the entire Nigerian camp - all 4 of them.

They probably were! Both sides have injuries to consider, not just Ireland. Saying Nigeria were the more lackadaisical is irrelevant.

You probably won't recognize sarcasm even if it hit u smack on the face. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Nigeria can beat England....i really hope they do....also i hope Sweden ties with England,.,.,.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LEG

all you are doing is showing your lack of knowledge about african football... which is what i expected...

it is interesting that of the whole camerounian team you chose gerimi and lauren to mention

the fact that you refused to quote ... the part where it says the nigerians were saving themselves is rather interesting.. the fact that you refused to quote the part where it says that Ireland were outclassed is interesting!!!!!

actually you are quite interesting !!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Leg:

I wish you were Bielsa or his assistant/adviser, so that you would give him your advice about African football generally and Nigerian football in particular. But is will be interesting to witness the meeting between you and your bosses after 90 minutes on June 2. You will have to answer why the best team in the world was made to look so ordinary and clueless.

When it comes to talent, Nigeria is well above Cameroon, to the extent that Nigeria’s third team can match Cameroon’s first in that sphere. The truth of the matter is that--and I say this with all due respect to the players concerned--none between Geremi and Lauren is as talented as anyone in the Nigerian first 11. The Cameroonians that have the kind of talent found in the Nigerian squad are such players as Et'o, Song, and Mboma.

But that does not mean that Nigeria is better than Cameroon. Cameroon has played the best team football in Africa for several years. They are not just the current Olympic champions, they recently won the African Nations Cup for the second time running.
And they have traditionally have great goalkeepers in depth. But, while Cameroon is going to the mundial with their best players, we left some of our best performers behind because of corruption and vindictiveness. As a team, Cameroon certainly looks the more likely to do well in this World Cup. You are right on that score.

Having said that, apart from Nigeria’s abundant talent (which surprises you didn’t know of!), Nigeria have rediscovered their fighting spirit. The game against Argentina will be something to behold. Our defense is the best it has been since 1994. Yet, I know that Argentina will score against Nigeria, but if our coach plays his cards right, Nigeria have enough firepower to outscore Argentina.

And you missed the following passage in the article posted by Osa:

“but any confidence [the Ireland coach] succeeded in instilling in [Ireland players] must have taken a battering when the visitors, who seldom accelerated beyond cruise control, doubled their lead just after the break.”

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I will sign off here

I think it is obviously clear that Leg100 has got himself into a corner which he is now wrignling around trying to get out of. He obviously has never heard of the Super Eagles and I doubt if he can locate Nigeria on a world map.

I am also certain that he is unaware of the fact that Nigeria beat Argentina 3-2 in the finals of the 1996 Olympics or that in 1994 and 1998 Nigeria topped her World Cup groups. I suppose he also thinks that in 1996 Brazil and Argentina were tiptoeing around, as were Bulgaria and Greece in 1994. I bet he will also tell us that Spain and Bulgaria were tiptoeing around in the 1998 World Cup too when Nigeria beat them.

Anyway, everyone on to their thoughts. There is little we can do to elevate a mans level of thinking when he knows very little.

Leg100 would have done well to admit that he does not know enough about Nigeria to comment rather than come up with a sweeping generalisation that the team is useless and will never be able to beat teams like Ireland and England come what may. In effect, what he is saying is that even if England field 11 dead men, they should beat Nigeria because these dumb Africans are so stupid they do not know where the goal is.

Now maybe that is not what you were trying to say, but that is how it came across. The reason everybody is so worked up is because you sound very much like Jean-Marie Le Pen.

Now I do not want this matter to get out of hand, so I will end with this. Leg100, you are welcome to visit the Nigerian forum and find out more about the Super Eagles. We will even be happy to send you tapes of the team, so you can make a valued and informed judgement as to how good it is.

In future, please refrain from going round making blanket statements which are not only untrue and factually incorrect but also based on ignorance. It will only fetch you enemeies.

Peace.

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Leg100 has not insulted any of you Nigerians/Nigerian fans and I would request you too to refrain from calling him 'ignorant' or make any similar remarks;) First, try to define 'ignorance' and then use the term appropriately;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts