Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard on the radio that the Italian TV is showing a video that shows Cannavaro injecting a product in his arm, but I didn't get to hear the whole news.

BTW, I think that the radio said that it was right before the 1999 UEFA Cup final, when he was in Parma.

Can any Italian give further info?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Controversy over footage of Italian soccer captain being injected

Canadian Press

Thursday, April 28, 2005

ROME (AP) - Footage of Italy soccer captain Fabio Cannavaro being injected prior to the 1999 UEFA Cup final was aired by RAI state TV on Thursday. The substance was Neoton, a creatine phosphate, that is not on any banned lists in Italy.

Cannavaro sent a request to RAI a few hours before the tape was aired asking that it be pulled from broadcast, but RAI went ahead and had Cannavaro's lawyer Paolo Trofino in the studio to take part in an open discussion after it was shown.

Trofino emphasized that taking Neoton was not doping, and also made reference to the playful nature of the tape, in which Cannavaro often pokes fun at himself.

The tape was filmed the night before the 1999 UEFA Cup final in a Moscow hotel room, shortly before Parma beat Marseille 3-0 for the title.

"Look what we're reduced to before the UEFA Cup final," Cannavaro was heard saying as a Parma team official administered the medicine. "I'm 25 years old and they're killing me."

Cannavaro played seven seasons for Parma from 1995 to 2002. He now plays for Juventus.

In November, Juventus physician Riccardo Agricola was convicted of administering banned substances to Juventus players from 1994 to 1998. He was given a suspended jail term of 22 months. Club chairman Antonio Giraudo was acquitted.

"(Cannavaro) has given only a positive image to soccer, the idea of this is only to ruin someone," Lilian Thuram, who played with Cannavaro at Parma and is now a teammate at Juventus, was quoted by the ANSA news agency.

"Everyone knows that that substance wasn't illicit, but now people will have their doubts. This is being done only to get an audience."

© The Canadian Press 2005

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Cannavaro didn't do anything wrong.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Well if you call taking a prescription drug not doing anything wrong, then go ahead. First of, taking a prescription without a prescription. Secondly, even tho its not banned, why? So that he can get benefit. Tho I don't disagree with the notion that its quite common for club players to do this.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Happens everywhere in the world, once again. It's just that in some countries the authorities make more of an effort to expose these things. That's besides Andy's point that he didn't actually do anything forbidden in the first place.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
I agree, I agree

Its just shady that you are taking prescription drugs that are not prescribed to you

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
he took some creatine. but in order for it to work suddenly he injected it.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
As long as it's not a banned drug I don't see anything wrong with it. Sportsmen take injections all the time. It only made the news because the sight of someone physically injecting a drug into his body (legal or not) sells newspaper columns, airtime and very easy to sensationalise.

·
MVP
8,990 Posts
I saw the footage on Euronews. It was on the eve of the UEFA Cup final in 1999 in Moscow. He was laying down on a bed topless, and a team doctor was injecting a substance called Neoton (apparently legal) into his arm. Cannavaro (looking quite stoned if u ask me) says, "I'm 25 years old, and look what they're doing to me. People would pay lot's of money to see this video"

Then the camera moves around and alot of faces are censored. But you clearly see the parma tracksuits.

I was actually very very stunned when I woke up this morning and saw it on Euronews. Dunno what to make of it, really...

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
I can now understand the reasons behind ADP's slump...

I initially thought Zeman talked too much.. now, i think Zeman is right.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Rhizoid said:
Cannavaro (looking quite stoned if u ask me) says, "I'm 25 years old, and look what they're doing to me. People would pay lot's of money to see this video"

he IS stoned!! lol

it would be cool to hear what they say. anyone got this video with sound?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Adriano10 said:
I initially thought Zeman talked too much.. now, i think Zeman is right.
Dude I thought Zeman and all his talk was about Juve circa '96 and was all accusations about cheating their way to titles and such. This is about Cannavaro at Parma in '99, 5 years before he came to Juve. So I really don't see how Zeman is right about anything.

·
Administrator
53,107 Posts
I heard they did this whole thing as a joke.Filming yourself getting doped and making ironic statements point to that in way.

But thats quite pathetic if you ask me.Joking wen you are in the same time playing around with your life.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
It's simply a case of a sportsman injecting himself with a perfectly legal muscle-regenerator the night before an important match - not very much different from rubbing deep heat on your body an hour before a big game. It's filmed half-in-jest and really the issue shouldn't be allowed to get so out of hand. Cannavaro is an authoritative figure in the world of calcio, an Azzurri captain who has given a lot to football and to the national team. He deserves much more respect than that. I can only imagine how angry he is with the world right now. The show has depicted him to be a drugs cheater and I am totally against sensationalisation like that. Down with Italian TV!

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
J_Reyes#9 said:
Guys Creatine isn't illegal, hell I have Creatine in my room right now.
:wallbang:

J_Reyes#9 said:
Dude I thought Zeman and all his talk was about Juve circa '96 and was all accusations about cheating their way to titles and such. This is about Cannavaro at Parma in '99, 5 years before he came to Juve. So I really don't see how Zeman is right about anything.
:wallbang:

Great Outdoors said:
not very much different from rubbing deep heat on your body an hour before a big game.
I beg to differ, I think there's a substancial difference - one may cause premature death if used wrong (see the number of Italian players from the 70's who are now either dead or paralyzed, shocking figure), one certainly does not.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Cacìni said:
I beg to differ, I think there's a substancial difference - one may cause premature death if used wrong (see the number of Italian players from the 70's who are now either dead or paralyzed, shocking figure), one certainly does not.
which ones which Cacini? i've got know idea precisely what "rubbing deep heat into your body" means, but it does sound like quite a chancy practise though :tongue: ;)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
LuisPedroCat said:
he IS stoned!! lol

it would be cool to hear what they say. anyone got this video with sound?
they're saying "stoned or not, Canna still looks like he's got more alertness than Rio Ferdinand and Wes Brown put together " :tongue: :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts