·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it merely an "okay" showing?

A 3rd place finish?

Second place and advancement?

Group winner?

Advancing past the first knockout round?

I guess what I am asking is: What are your ultimate predictions for the Slovakians?

·
皇帝
933 Posts
The success is that we are already there. What everyone sees as realistic result is that we´re going to finish 3rd in the group, advancing from group wouldn´t be just success but something much more.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Normally you'd beat New Zealand and who knows Paraguay, are they really that strong?

Also Italy by far aren't in a great form, it could be a nice surprising tournament for Slovakia, ended in the round of 16 by the Netherlands ;).

·
Registered
69,259 Posts
the thing with Paraguay is they are good offensively but at the back they look pretty weak, even Italy is not that scary, they are not a team thats going to out-work, out-run Slovakia and they aren't a team looking to win by 3+ goals for example like a Spain, England, Germany etc..

If Slovakia win the first match, I think they will advance, the odds are good winning the first game.

Round of 16 is though the furthest I see Slovakia, don't think you can beat the Netherlands and even Denmark (who I think will finish 2nd in Group E) is stronger

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Round of 16 is though the furthest I see Slovakia, don't think you can beat the Netherlands and even Denmark (who I think will finish 2nd in Group E) is stronger
But in a lose-and-go-home match, anything can happen. If the Slovaks come out and play well, with confidence, anything is possible.

My wife (Hungarian) freely admits she is living vicariously through me.

·
Registered
26,033 Posts
But in a lose-and-go-home match, anything can happen. If the Slovaks come out and play well, with confidence, anything is possible.

My wife (Hungarian) freely admits she is living vicariously through me.
Does you wife like football ?

You are lucky guy because you have 4 teams to cheer for: Slovakia, USA, Germany and Hungary :D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does you wife like football ?

You are lucky guy because you have 4 teams to cheer for: Slovakia, USA, Germany and Hungary :D
She does. She supports the Hungarian National Team and Ujpest for club football.

Although neither of her teams have been relevant for quite some time although Ujpest had "some" club success of late.

·
Registered
26,033 Posts
it´s difficult to be hungarian football fan these days, especiallly for those who still remember times when Hungary was a football powerhouse. I have a deep respect for their football history.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it´s difficult to be hungarian football fan these days, especiallly for those who still remember times when Hungary was a football powerhouse. I have a deep respect for their football history.
Of course. Her father often talks about Puskas Ferenc and how strong the Magyars were back in the 1950s. They are not too far away, but coaching and administration appears to be lacking.

·
Registered
26,033 Posts
Of course. Her father often talks about Puskas Ferenc and how strong the Magyars were back in the 1950s. They are not too far away, but coaching and administration appears to be lacking.
Sorry but nowadays Hungary is light years away of what these Puskas´ Magical Magyars once were. Trashing England 6-3 and 7-1 ? 4-yrs unbeaten strike ? Common. Not even nowadays Brazil is that dominant force, maybe Spain with their 35 games unbeaten streak ended by USA a year ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts