Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Is Not A
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do people think of the performance?

For me:

1) This is Mourinho's litmus test.
2) Our midfield is weak. I'm frankly baffled by the difference between the quality of our midfield on paper vs their ability on the pitch.
3) Our defense was awesome.
4) JC looked godlike with those bruises on his face. "Cech landed on his knee and needed a stretcher? I crashed my Lambo and I'm still on the pitch, bitch!"
5) We are much more vulnerable through the center rather than on the sides.
6) We're not good enough with ball possession. Chelsea ran us over in midfield and predictably it led to more shots on goal. Midfield is an issue here.
7) Our attitude and psychological preparation was brilliant. We were not scared on the pitch, we fought and attacked aggressively. First time I've seen this fighting spirit in a long time.
8) Maicon has become much more defensively responsible than he was before. He doesn't need a player to cover him so much.
9) Ivanovic's pace is dangerous.
10) Loved Balotelli's dribble and beautiful pass across their box. He tracked back more than usual and showed more synchronization with the team.
11) Ref was fair. First time I've seen this level of fairness in ages. (Yes I thought Milito didn't dive)
12) A few flashes of beautiful one-touch play, especially with the first goal.
14) Ancelotti was a dunce. Didn't even try to close Sneijder down.

Overall, I feel Mourinho is making a great difference but our midfield needs serious bolstering. Either we need to train our midfielders to play differently or we need Mariga to play more, or something. I don't know....

13,358 Posts
I think Chelsea's formation meant they would dominate the midfield, the same way United has done the previous year.

Inter played with 4 man midfield without any width, with 2 deadbeats in there (Stanko and Motta) so I expected that Chelsea would dominate, since they had a basic midfield of three, with Anelka and Kalou dropping deep to offer support, Ivanovic and Malouda providing the width.

In that area in front of Inter's back four Chelsea had 5 men there most of the game compared with Inter's 4, including the two deadbeats.

If Inter want to get something out of the away leg, you have to play a 4-5-1 and fill up the middle with players who are aggressive and able to run, naturally this excludes Motta etc....

13,358 Posts
Oh Inter task is easy, you just need to replace Motta, Muntari, Stankovic, Zanetti (may retire soon?) Quaresma.....

Come to think of it you may need another 4 or 5 players to be set for the foreseeable future. :undecide:

·
Banned
9 Posts
What we got from this game:

1. Showed we can actually score a goal against big sides.
2. Showed we can win against big sides.
3. Showed we can fight back even though they just scored and hold our ground.

Confidence has to be sky-high from this game. we played our chance and it worked. Now we know know how they play and they can obnly play one way against us, nexy time we will be totally prepared. Advantage on us on the tactical part for the next game. If our CB's are as sound in the next game and we are clinincal on our chances then we will go through.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
That you can get at the Chelsea defence.

That you could have been more positive and braver after going 2-1 up.

Saying that Milito didn't dive though is craazy. As big and as blatant a dive as you will see. Didn't think the Kalou incident was stonewall pen either btw.

·
Banned
9 Posts

Confidence has to be sky-high from this game. we played our chance and it worked. Now we know know how they play and they can obnly play one way against us, nexy time we will be totally prepared. Advantage on us on the tactical part for the next game. If our CB's are as sound in the next game and we are clinincal on our chances then we will go through.

JC was to blame for the goal tonight, anyone denying that is a moron, but he should be 100% for the return game.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
First of all congrats on the win

11) Ref was fair. First time I've seen this level of fairness in ages. (Yes I thought Milito didn't dive)
Second of all, yes Milito did dive and whoever says otherwise is a dumb ass and we deserved a penalty. :D

·
Is Not A
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cambiasso's comment after the game was so on-point, I have to quote it:
Many times teams think of not conceding, but that's counter-productive,”
Is this what has killed Inter in Europe before? I think so.

Mou putting things into perspective:
“Don't forget in recent years Inter failed to win at home against Liverpool, Manchester United and Valencia. Inter hadn't won the first leg of a knockout in a long time and defeated a side that was unbeaten in 14 Champions League games.”

Mou referring to the mentality. I thought this was vital:
“We wanted to be aggressive and attack them straight away, giving us the psychological advantage. That way we would change the mental situation of Inter,”

“We wanted to dominate the match. Chelsea were losing after three minutes, so obviously they had a very strong reaction in line with their quality.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts

:thmbup:

if you think about it, it all comes down to this:

Can Inter finally break the duck and qualify to the next round? Or is the same old Inter going to show up at Stamford Bridge and let the totally unfortunate away goal be our downfall?

This is is a typical Inter situation. The return leg is the match of the season for me. If we do make it through, I believe we can go all the way.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
One game at a time dude :D

All the way???

I didn't see the game so I can't comment btw- I get home from work at 9 and I will watch it then

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
There are lots of praises for Lucio. But somehow, I feel like that's a weakness disguised as a strength. Our CBs have to do so much work only because the midfield can't hold possession.

·
Registered
45,032 Posts

Yep, absolutely.

·
Registered
16,005 Posts
Milito has already admitted he dived

there was never any question whatsoever :

“The yellow card was the right decision. I tried to dribble in the box and thought his leg was coming towards me to knock me over, but he changed at the last second.

“I got up immediately and didn't ask for anything, but the referee was right.”

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Stankovic should be better in the second leg as he'll have a few matches under his belt ... lest we forget that he has been out for a while. But I agree, a formation which crowds the midfield is key ... I'd go with a 4-3-2-1 (Maicon, LUCIO, Samuel, Santon; Zanetti, Cambiasso, Muntari; Stankovic, Sneijder; Milito)

As much Eto'o is respected, we can't afford to have him misfiring the way he is right now ... unless he pots a few goals over the next couple of weeks, he's better off on the bench

·
Is Not A
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stankovic is a risk. I know he was out for a while, so maybe its due to fitness, but can he really up his game come the 2nd leg? I guess only his league performances can prove it.

In addition, won't Ivanovic come forward on Santon's side? :scared:

Otherwise I really like your formation. Except that maybe Milito will be cut off easily as he is the only striker. We will need Sneijder and Stank to play more attacking roles, since Maicon and Santon cannot always connect with Milito.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Stankovic should be better in the second leg as he'll be on the bench
Corrected. I love Stankovic and at his top of the game, he is the best, but he is back from injury and we clearly can't have him on the pitch for Leg 2.

·
U get what U give
8,784 Posts
M.C.F.L, Im a superstisious person, please add or remove on point of yours (which I completly agree with everyone of them) cause #13 is not so friendly when it pops-up in our forums. I hope you unsderstand. :)

Pick one of those to make them 14:

- That we can beat any team in the world when we play with such heart, courage, determenation and spirirt regardless of any formation or tactics used.

_That we can believe now that we actually can rely on our superior defensive set of players to go far in the CL (at last).

_That we can always be positive towards our teams and players despite the endless problems we are encountering (in midfield or attack or whatever).

cheers! :)

·
Is Not A
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Done :p

PS- I will admit that Milito fell, but not that he dived.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Inter cannot go there and defend a lead they need to comne out like they did against chelsea and get an early goal...

After that it's up to Chelsea to step up...because they way it's set up atm...Chelsea will look for that single goal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts