Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yuengling, though they have raised their price $18.99 for a 24 bottle case is still the best bargain, probably only the watered down Keystone and Natty Ice are cheaper, in college we used to pound these down and was probably even more cheap 10 years ago. Starting to get into the Shock Top/Blue Moon which is essentially the same beers only one is owned by Bud the other by Coors.

To me most Euro pilsners are the same: Becks, Heineken, Urquell, Peroni, Mythos, Carlsberg, Ozujsko/Karlovacko, Lasko, but out of all of them I'd pick Ozujsko, not a fan of the Pilsner Urquell (sp?). Beck's these days are brewed in St. Louis no? When I was in Munich airport a few years back they served me a Hofbrau the size of my head with a sandwich for lunch :LOL:

Don't really drink that much hard liquor these days or those fruity (literally and figuratively) drinks that they sell for like $12 for a half cup at a restaurant/bar

View attachment 70446
All pilsners are lagers but not all lagers are pilsners. Most/all of the beers you mentioned have been changed to be some sort of bastardized "international version" of their former selves. Similar to the majority of Australian wines and other animal/cutesy labelled beverages -- their recipes are adjusted based on tasting panels that pander to a more uniform and acceptable flavour across the globe. In other words, they're purposefully made to be "meh" so as to sell the most product.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm drinking a whole lot of nada (Espanol for nothing), Covid has shut all the bars and I'm happily sober since outbreak from an alcoholic standpoint, cheery little bit of good news!
What about a drink before/during/after meals?

When my relatives visit from Serbia they think people living in Canada are savages (not referring to natives). Aperitifs, digestifs, beer, spirits, wine -- all mixed whenever and wherever with whatever food.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,291 Posts

my 3 fav beers. all from some village or monastery brewery near my old hometown
König Ludwig Weissbier was one of my favourites when visiting Germany and miraculously it eventually came to the shops here in Estonia too. Although when I recently tried it again I was not that impressed anymore...not sure if they had changed something or if my preferences had changed.

Haven't seen Hell being sold here.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,291 Posts
This is what Andy (and many others) think "craft beer" represents...

Oatmeal coffee stout brewed with civet cat bean droppings.
tbh that's what it sort of is here

overpriced and bad local beer hipster stuff or maybe imported from Scandinavia... bunch of bearded clowns in their basements trying to copy old styles like Kölsch or Trappist ale or Imperial stout and obviously failing spectacularly... but of course they can always add more hops to try and hide it

countries like Germany, Czechia, Belgium or England never needed this craft beer revolution as they had their local smaller breweries which often have survived for centuries - real tradition and continuity

this whole craft beer movement is another proof of American's cultural hegemony over the world

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
tbh that's what it sort of is here

overpriced and bad local beer hipster stuff or maybe imported from Scandinavia... bunch of bearded clowns in their basements trying to copy old styles like Kölsch or Trappist ale or Imperial stout and obviously failing spectacularly... but of course they can always add more hops to try and hide it

countries like Germany, Czechia, Belgium or England never needed this craft beer revolution as they had their local smaller breweries which often have survived for centuries - real tradition and continuity

this whole craft beer movement is another proof of American's cultural hegemony over the world
Perhaps. We do live in a time where everything requires a label or acronym (and a sense of victimization) -- beer isn't any different.

I look at craft beer as a push back against multi-nationals, a return to smaller breweries within communities. Have you looked at AB InBev's brand portfolio? AB InBev Or MolsonCoors? Or Heineken? None of those beers can be said to have any remaining tradition or continuity -- as they ceased to be independently owned and can be brewed anywhere in the world.

There's also the matter of manufactured "tradition" as in the case of Stella Artois. The beer as we know it today is a marketing plan done proper through the Brouwerij Artois acquisition of Labatt. The new company needed a premium brand in their portfolio so they came up with a new bottle label, new bottle design, a gold rimmed chalice, upcharged a 24-case by an additional $15, and some marketing bullshit about a "Nine step pouring ritual" that was accompanied by Hollywood actors. Two years later it became one of the top selling beers at more than 2,000,000 barrels.

More interesting to me was the other beer label that was considered for a "premium" push...Labatt Blue. The prototypical blue-collar everyman's beer. But it didn't have a Euro sounding name and couldn't embellish a history of tradition.

·
Registered
56,704 Posts
I hear ya Shwarma, and agree in so far as I would never touch a Heineken/Becks/Stella/Tuborg etc but whatever is labelled craft beer here, local or not, just doesn‘t taste good. not at all. and I gave it a try. many a times. in various places. bottom line is, bring me my bavarian village stuff, real beer, any time over that cherry blossom tasting shit.

·
Registered
56,704 Posts
König Ludwig Weissbier was one of my favourites when visiting Germany and miraculously it eventually came to the shops here in Estonia too. Although when I recently tried it again I was not that impressed anymore...not sure if they had changed something or if my preferences had changed.

Haven't seen Hell being sold here.
can‘t judge about their weissbier because I don‘t drink weissbier at all. for some reason it‘s very popular and gets exported, can find it even here now. the Helles, never saw it outside south Bavaria.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I hear ya Shwarma, and agree in so far as I would never touch a Heineken/Becks/Stella/Tuborg etc but whatever is labelled craft beer here, local or not, just doesn‘t taste good. not at all. and I gave it a try. many a times. in various places. bottom line is, bring me my bavarian village stuff, real beer, any time over that cherry blossom tasting shit.
Can't disagree with anything said here. I still haven't had a really good Euro craft beer. I've been through Mikkeller, Omnipollo, To01, Beaverton, Dogma, Cloudwater, Wild Beer, Visibaba, Naparbier, LAB, Garden, Salto, Kabinet, Kas..among many others. Nothing I'd purchase again, taste again, or even revisit the brewery.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
so what about norteamericano crafts then? do they at least taste remotely like beer? because the euro ones I‘ve tried so far, they don‘t
There's a lot of good lagers, a handful of pilsners but in my opinion -- it's the pale ales that are best. Don't get me wrong though because there's a shit tonne of "hazy, pastry, double hopped nano stout" crap, too.

IPAs are treated very differently than in Europe. Consumers in north America have raging, low testosterone, patchy bearded fits if the beer has been bottled/canned longer than three months. While in Europe it's quite normal to have a best before date of 18 months for an IPA.

41 - 60 of 152 Posts