Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
56,704 Posts
this is the brewery who made it

apparently the Diplomat isn't on offer anymore :(

description of it sounds like your typical Bavarian stuff tho (like most Czechoslovak beers, except Pilsner Urquell)

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yep, good German/Czech lagers are better than 99.9% of this triple-hopped West Coast IPA or lingonberry-chocolate stout trash
There is a lot of trash out there, and so much of it is "Hey look! We're creative because we mash everything on the shelves into this beer" sh*t. But some of the best lagers/pils I've had come from craft breweries.

And given the chance between purchasing a good/equal/better local product than something from a multi-national faceless conglomerate...I'm supporting the local economy. Sorry, Soros.

·
Registered
56,704 Posts
supporting the local economy, don't need to tell me, Slow food / slow drink follower here.

those 3 beers I've posted, they are full local, relatively small breweries from villages. they are not craft beer though, but in Germany the label craft isn't local or global, but Bavarian Purity Law or not. Craft beer is usually on the NOT side.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
supporting the local economy, don't need to tell me, Slow food / slow drink follower here.

those 3 beers I've posted, they are full local, relatively small breweries from villages. they are not craft beer though, but in Germany the label craft isn't local or global, but Bavarian Purity Law or not. Craft beer is usually on the NOT side.
That's how we would define craft beer. Maybe it's the image or implication of the label "craft beer" is what offends you.

Three beers you posted=craft
Lowenbrau=not craft

Sanyi, you're a craft beer hipster.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
This is what Andy (and many others) think "craft beer" represents...

Oatmeal coffee stout brewed with civet cat bean droppings.

·
Registered
21,604 Posts
You guys with your fancy smancy drinks. How the hell do you afford this?

At best, I can get a 6 pack of Steeler beer. Tastes like it is directly from Burlington Bay* but beggars can't be choosers.

*i.e a polluted body of water behind steel mills and full of sewage

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You guys with your fancy smancy drinks. How the hell do you afford this?

At best, I can get a 6 pack of Steeler beer. Tastes like it is directly from Burlington Bay* but beggars can't be choosers.

*i.e a polluted body of water behind steel mills and full of sewage
Fairweather in Hamilton does some great beer (a lot of sour and gose type beer, too). Clifford's also has a very good porter.

I think Collective Arts occupies the old Lakeport brewery site. Mmmmmmm....Lakeport, Steeler, Grizzly. LOL.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
when in Doucheland you say craft beer, it implies some urban lgbqt genderneutral lefties made it and added whatever into it that has nothing to do with beer, like cherry blossoms or shit
Well, I'm in Doucheland. Hope goose-steppin Hanz and Franz enjoy their cute party hats.

·
Registered
69,132 Posts
Yuengling, though they have raised their price $18.99 for a 24 bottle case is still the best bargain, probably only the watered down Keystone and Natty Ice are cheaper, in college we used to pound these down and was probably even more cheap 10 years ago. Starting to get into the Shock Top/Blue Moon which is essentially the same beers only one is owned by Bud the other by Coors.

To me most Euro pilsners are the same: Becks, Heineken, Urquell, Peroni, Mythos, Carlsberg, Ozujsko/Karlovacko, Lasko, but out of all of them I'd pick Ozujsko, not a fan of the Pilsner Urquell (sp?). Beck's these days are brewed in St. Louis no? When I was in Munich airport a few years back they served me a Hofbrau the size of my head with a sandwich for lunch :LOL:

Don't really drink that much hard liquor these days or those fruity (literally and figuratively) drinks that they sell for like $12 for a half cup at a restaurant/bar

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
another analogy I use a lot: Löwenbräu/Heineken/Becks are the ubers of beers, while the Altenmünster/König Ludwig/Schwarzbräu I’ve posted above are the real Taxis of beers :)
I detest the "craft beer" label though I do understand why it is used. And, yes, so much of the industry (or customers) is a big douche magnet. $10/500ml but they eat 90 cent boxes of powdered cheese and macaroni.

For the most part, in my Doucheland, the beer isn't even "local", rather, locally assembled. Malts come in from prairie provinces, hops from USA or Europe, yeasts from global sources, then they add in fruits from tropical locations. Only thing in the beer is a local water source.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
This is one of my regular beers (I think the brewery was started by first generation Czechs in Toronto).

21 - 40 of 152 Posts