Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a surprise here but I often struggle finding a balance between excess and zero...I blame it mostly on account of dealing with anglos in the work space.

So, I've decided not to drink alcohol for the next 70 days. In the mean time, I'd like to know what you've been throwing back -- maybe share some stories, pictures, tasting notes. Anything involving the drink apart from arse weasel Hagi admissions.

·
Gyula
2,661 Posts
Mostly beers. If not that, then I usually indulge in some home-made palinka and/or tuika from back home. A nice clean vodka is great too.

edit: I almost forgot, I do like sake quite a bit too. It's unique and a great step between beer and the hard stuff without it being grape-derived wine which I can't stand.

·
inbred amoeba
3,679 Posts
Actually, i don’t drink much. Mostly wine, a couple of beers evenings when I don’t have work and can afford it - local brands and trying all kinds of those weird German and Belgian craft beers specialized beer shops are selling. Good whisk(e)y when I feel like. And the heresy - I almost never drink rakia, especially the ones with anise in it.

·
dinamo67
9,285 Posts
Ever since the lockdown I haven't drunk much. I don't drink much at home. However I did get quite drunk on Saturday on the Jim beam which I don't usually drink but whatever. I usually stick to beers or whiskey. Rakija here and there as well. The pure stuff, straight from the motherland.

·
Registered
21,604 Posts
After I drag my a.ss home from soul crushing shifts at tims I sometimes have a Karlovacko. I stocked up at lcbo when I saw they had some on the shelves.

·
Registered
56,704 Posts
I love drinking and thus drink a lot

on top of list are wines, now which ones that depends on the food I have to the wine

but for red meats I usually go for heavy Douro or Alentejo ones, sometimes a primitivo from Salento, plus recently discovered the Tannat from Uruguay, awesome stuff

don‘t forget to hand me a glass of 20 years Tawny Port though, after dinner

whites, I prefer a wide range from Alentejan Antão Vaz samples over Alvarinhos from Monção&Melgaço, Rhineland-Pfalz or Alsacian Rieslings up to Sauvignon Blancs from Hungary‘s Etyek region or Balaton‘s north coast

beers alright, can down a whole loads of them without thinking or having any reason to do so, but a foci match is always a good excuse. here I prefer the bavarian type Helles, in best case from some smaller village brewery, but a Zlaty Bazant, Ciuc, Sagres, Antârtica, Baltika, Zywiec, Arany Ászok, Crioula, Karlovacko, etc gets the job done too. Craft beers, no thanks, hate them.

the oil in the machinery are of course the spirits, same here I go with a wide range, hungry homey Pálinka (kosher szilva, barack, quince the favs), but also enviejado Pisco from Chile, Cachaça from Minas, good añejo Tequila and Ron, Grogue from Cabo Verde, Feni from Goa (made of Cashew fruit), Medronho from Portugal. not a fan of Vodka although I‘ll drink it if served but like the polish one with that grass inside best, not as tasteless as the others. anything whisky or with anis, no thanks, can‘t touch it.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's the hate for craft beer? Or, how do you define craft beer? In north America it's defined by size of the brewery ex. in Ontario, a craft brewery is defined as producing less than 400,000 hectoliters, and being independently owned.

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love drinking and thus drink a lot

on top of list are wines, now which ones that depends on the food I have to the wine

but for red meats I usually go for heavy Douro or Alentejo ones, sometimes a primitivo from Salento, plus recently discovered the Tannat from Uruguay, awesome stuff

don‘t forget to hand me a glass of 20 years Tawny Port though, after dinner

whites, I prefer a wide range from Alentejan Antão Vaz samples over Alvarinhos from Monção&Melgaço, Rhineland-Pfalz or Alsacian Rieslings up to Sauvignon Blancs from Hungary‘s Etyek region or Balaton‘s north coast

beers alright, can down a whole loads of them without thinking or having any reason to do so, but a foci match is always a good excuse. here I prefer the bavarian type Helles, in best case from some smaller village brewery, but a Zlaty Bazant, Ciuc, Sagres, Antârtica, Baltika, Zywiec, Arany Ászok, Crioula, Karlovacko, etc gets the job done too. Craft beers, no thanks, hate them.

the oil in the machinery are of course the spirits, same here I go with a wide range, hungry homey Pálinka (kosher szilva, barack, quince the favs), but also enviejado Pisco from Chile, Cachaça from Minas, good añejo Tequila and Ron, Grogue from Cabo Verde, Feni from Goa (made of Cashew fruit), Medronho from Portugal. not a fan of Vodka although I‘ll drink it if served but like the polish one with that grass inside best, not as tasteless as the others. anything whisky or with anis, no thanks, can‘t touch it.
Whites: I stick to what I know/available so it's usually Trimbach, Thanisch; Marcel Deiss (Rieslings, and blends).

Reds: all over the place but tend more towards Tempranillo, Touriga Nacional, Valpolicella; anything else with a Cab Franc backbone (Meritage style).

·
Registered
56,704 Posts
Touriga Nacional 👍
Tempranillo, meh, it‘s called Aragonês or Tinta Roriz on the other side of the fence which has a better sound to it :)

craft beer, I call them hipster types like that who usually taste like horse pee/poo.

the Bavarian purity law of 1516 👍

1 - 20 of 152 Posts