Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a nice chat with a Colombian friend of mine and he told me that in Colombia they see no chance in hell of them winning a World Cup soon but that their main goal (nation wide) is pretty much Copa America or (Someday) that third Libertadores.

I know that In Uruguay, we have high expectations for our NT. Its true that we havent been what we want Uruguay to be since 1970, but for 1 reason or another, we are still VERY critical if we were to even TIE Colombia (which is a very good team) in Montevideo. (Not counting the fact that Colombia outnumbers us by 30 million ppl and it makes very little logical sense that URuguay still produces talent that rivals and can even beat Colombia, Brazil etc <who have better leagues too>.......but that's why Uruguay is so special)

Uruguay's main #1 goal has been since 1950, to win the 3rd World Cup. I believe that if we were to win our 3rd WC, the entire country would suddenly combust and disapear from the face of this earth (A little dramatic....i know :howler: ). But it would like complete Uruguay. But that is the dream of every Uruguayan person since 1950 and even if Uruguay gets worst and worst, we are still talking about "Winning the World Cup" and it's the far off dream of every Uruguayan on earth to someday happen (Like Destiny or something)

I think the reason we are so successful in Cups historically is because Uruguay is very hard to beat (Our defense is pretty amazing). Like it's always hard for Uruguay to pass the group stage of a Copa America/Libertadores.......but we always (just ignore the last few Libertadores) make it VERY hard to eliminate us because Uruguay is so damn stubborn when defending our net.

(I remember Copa America 2004, I thought we wouldnt pass the group, but knew if we did we'd go out in the Semi final AT LEAST <and by a last second fluke goal or something>)

Some wonder why Mexico struggles in the Copa America or Colombia finds it so hard to go far in those tournaments (even if they are so good). I believe that it's the "Garra" that stops them. The Copa America tournaments are long tournaments and the players get tired. What seperates Uruguay from the rest is that we actually will do anything to win the cup by the end and no matter how tired Uruguay may seem, we never give up (we have what's necesary to become "Champions")

<<<I say all this because I've been reading the history of the Copa America and was shocked to find how few times Chile/COlombia/Peru/ etc have made it to a Semi Final (and a final is incredibly rare, only 1 time for Chile..........while we've gone so many times I lost count)

But anyways, It's interesting how many nations have "Ultimate Goals" set up. PAraguay's goal for many years (And to come) is to pass the group stages and go as far as "Quarters" (a Semi would be historic) in the World Cup.

But right now....For Uruguay.....what do you see as our main goals (or atleast steps to get there).
Because the reality is this
1) If it wasnt for the Very lucky qualification in 2002, Uruguay would have now missed 4 straight World Cups (Almost incredible)
2) Uruguay goes far in the Copa Americas merely because of our fighting spirit (But there can be no complaints in the Copa Americas as in these tournaments we are exactly where we should be, at the same level or right behind Brazil and Argentina)
3) Copa Libertadores (a tournament we used to dominate), is turning into a joke. Nacional and Penarol havent been to a Semi final in almost 18 years. Not only that but we havent passed a group stage in like 3. (That's "Bolivia" bad)
4) Youth stage, Uruguay has not been doing much lately but we are making improvements.
5) Uruguay is still steadily producing talent as we've always been doing (we can never really worry of that "running out" since everybody wants to leave the life of poverty for a life of riches that Football brings in Europe).

NOW
1) Nacional is making huge progress lately. We have a great stadium (which is going to grow more next year), great youth players, and the club now is starting to change into a modern looking one (the uniforms and track suits look great <Like as good as an EPL team>)
<many dont know, but 2-3 years ago, Nacional was wearing those sweaters that looked like the ones Rocha wears now>
Also, we're playing well in the Libertadores lately which is somethign I havent seen in many years.
_____
I think that this Uruguay's proper place is 3rd in the Americas (Behind Brazil and Argentina). <In National teams and in Clubs>.

But right now Uruguay is
1) 5th in National Teams (6th or 7th if you count USA/Mexico)
2) Like 8th in Clubs (very bad as even Ecuador has risen more than us lately)
3) And Top 30 in NTs
4) 5th in Youths (but that's been like that for many years except for the 97/99 teams)

With the new Tabarez project, im confident we'll start to go forward, but we cant expect us to go to the Semi finals of the WOrld Cup in 2010.

I think this is what Uruguay's goals should be (for now)
1) NT- MAke it to the World Cup <Top 4 at least>
2) Have BOTH Nacional/Penarol make it past group stages of Libertadores.
3) Copa America- At least Semis
4) Have Uruguay in the Top 20 in the World Rankings
5) Qualify to a U20 World Cup (And U17 would help too)

THEN we can worry about Uruguay going "2nd round" in the World Cup (which seemed to be our permanent place after 86 and 90).

PRetty much the goal is to have Uruguay be a constant "Quarter Final team" at the world cup and then (as usual) "see what happens" <because im confident that if we reached the Quarters, we could really go to the Semis and even the Final, for the reasons that I said before>

What do you guys think

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yeah i know, it was very long :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Its that type of topics about our NT and clubs and about the structure of our football that a like to see here.
People that lives in uruguay could give more details about the Tabarez project that tenfieldigital didnt said.
Other things is the main goal for me is to develop a new structure four our style of football.
Our players dont know who to pass a ball and we dont have a player that can organize the team, to help the playmaker( Players like Zidane is this type of players that i am said, they organize and improve the ball quality that goes to attack from the defense). We are likely to play only using pelotazos and the senior of radio oriental said that after the australia's game)
Its beautiful that we will play in a 4-3-3 formation, but we need to know HOW TO PASS A BALL!
Also, we need good laterales, diogo and rodriguez are crap, and we recently are using defenders like laterales, but its not right.
I dont want a cafu or roberto carlos, but a laterale that can attack and defend and can proper pass the ball...
I have many other things to say but its for now

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i agree.

Also Diogo, I dont like him much. (He just cant defend)
D.Rodriguez is good though (as a defender), but his "runs" are a joke. (It looks like he is just running over players who get in his way)

The 4-3-3 looks good, but we really do need some good playmakers.

The only ones we have (That we've discovered) are:
Chino
Albin
Cristian Rodriguez
Canobio
Sarkisian
Peralta

...........in point, not much. (Those are the only ones i can think of right now)
I think we have more than enough forwards though, but the new team is looking like this so far.

Viera
?????(Someone new)>>>>>>>>Lugano>>>>>>Godin>>>>>>>>>>>D. Rodriguez
>>>>>>>>>>Perez/or Varela>>>>>>>>>>>>>Garcia
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Albin/ or Cebolla/ or Chino
Estoyanoff>>>>>>>>>Forlan>>>>>>>>>>>>V.Sanchez/or R.Nunez/ or Regueiro

We need some good Playmakers, and Cebolla seemed like our best hope until he got sent to the PSG bench.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Maybe it's the type to invest in cannobio. He is playing his best at Celta and the times he got called for the NT he was not playin in the eleven and with a sequency of games.
Cebolla its very sad what happened, i do'nt know what will happen with him now and in the future.
Albin, he is very good and many time ago i was saying about him and about his qualities. I have a uruguayan friend that is hincha of nacional and he said to me that than only problem with him is that he dissappear in important matches. Is true?
Sarkissian i didnt see he playing but needs to see more of him in Nancy.
Peralta for me is not material for the NT anymore, we have better options than him IMO.

About the laterales, one player that dissappeared because he did a terrible sudamericano sub20 like 99% of the team, is Ignacio La Luz.
For me he would be in the future a new and very good laterale for the NT and obviously for Nacional.
Also in Nacional we have Pablo Caballero that maybe have future.
In Peñarol there's a new kid called Matias Perez that garisto is likely to put in the eleven and i think its a LATERALE and not an mieldfielder or defender improvised in lateral, very good, but i didnt see him playin.
And Diego Godin, i didn't see him playin yet, but is he good enough? Remembers any famous player?
And other player that i like very much is Carlos Valdez, but since he went to Treviso, he never got continuous games to play. He always enter as a sub or play the first time and go out in the second time, etc...
The last question in this message(thank god hhahaha): And the kid Gonzalo Garcia Garcia that is playin in the Netherlands second division and played also in Real Madrid B? Don't he needs a chance to play? I neve see him, but he always make goals and make records too..

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I think Garcia Garcia played for Spain's NT at the youth level so i don't think he can playfor us. Another player I think we lost was Nerry Castillo to Mexico, and also Soria is supposed to play for Qatar.

It seems like alot of players are thinking about abandoning our patria.

For the playmaker position I don'tknow. Whatever happenedto to el pollo, I havent seen him playin a long time.

Also what happened to Liguera? is he still Nacional?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Pollo disappeared in Juventus and Liguera is injuried in San Luis.
ABout Garcia Garcia, he played in the Spain youth levels but he still can play for our NT because he didn't played yet in the NT of spain, only in the youth.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
part of the problem is you guys overhype any prospect...instead of calling half a million players for the national team should do like ecuador or paraguay, stick to a basic core of 16 players and let them grow together as a team. don't put the biggest name at every position but the ones that can gel in a structure.
i would build the future around cannobio, estoyanoff, lugano, viera and chevanton. find the players that can play well with these guys.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I dont understand.
You said to we not overhype our youngsters, but sad we not to put our biggest names in all positions. You are likely to say that we have to play with players with doubt ability.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We cant aford him, plus hes going to England

·
Registered
922 Posts
No
he is going to RUSSIA O__________O (good for them)
And about him in uruguay, would be wonderful, because he would have been trainining our pass, because we only use pelotazos and don't know how to do only a sequence os passes. In the other hand, i don't know if the uruguayans would be pleased with an european in the NT, sometimes, specially in South America, this thing happens.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i wouldnt mind a European. But I know there are many idiots who say "Uruguayan Only!" (Like that's done us any good for the last 30 or so years)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Raphael said:
me too bolso, if its necessary a help to evolve, you need to forgot the "orgullo" and try new things.
Nothing against you but you are Brazilian theres no possible way you can look at it like a true Uruguayan..

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As many here know, I have as much orgullo as if Uruguay had won 26 straight World Cups and managed to invade Europe by itself. (Hell, i even having a Uruguay AUF sign tatooed to my arm)

But then there is being Stupid. Saying "We dont want Hiddink but Hugo DeLeon" is like saying "We dont want Henri....but rather have Abreu"

·
Registered
922 Posts
but man, i am not saying like an uruguayan, i am saying like an brazilian, a south american...here we have many against south americans coaching in brazil, imagine it for europeans here.
Is that mentality that i am saying, not only the uruguayans, but many brazilians, argentines etc
And i am going to tatoo an AUF simbol in my heart, for now i use in the MSN.

·
Registered
922 Posts
and the stupid thing that we have in south america is what bolso said in the last message, in example of: YES DE LEON, NO HIDDINK
In Brasil is WORST

1 - 19 of 19 Posts