Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a website in english that offered Turkish league coverage, weekly results review, standings...etc and I found none! ( one www.turkishsoccer.com and look at how stupid it is-"fener is the best-gala is second best:rolleyes: )

Then, I came to think about it and thought we could form a team here and make our own website!Not only it is a good business opportunity, but also a could be great information resource for both Turkish and foreigners who were following our league.

Some of us here everyday, write comments on games, players, the results etc everyday to gain nothing in return..its for fun...here we could still do what we like to...

I am ready to give a lot to a website of our own and ... just imagine what we could do!! If we were to have lots of visitors and to have the attention of the media both national and international we could influence lots of things. Also, the fans would have more power in voicing their concerns both domesticly and internationally who are already ignored...

I dont know much about the technical stuff, but if anyone of you out there is interested that knows about technical details and of course others who is willing to add on content on just probably a weekly basis, we could have a great one! and I said, this will be a team work, so whoever is interested, write here then we can talk the details later. I also already thought of a domain name (www.turkishleague.com :) ) ...Let me know, I think this is a great opportunity.

·
Registered
13,816 Posts
well where would you get the domain name then? I'm willing to offer the webspace but the url would look like crap you know. i don't know shít about the technical stuff too. sooo any html buffs out there?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I assume you are in Hagi?:) what do you mean by you are willing to offer the web space? and whats the difference of that to url?

and istead of ceating it by html, we could also use programs like microsoft frontpage??

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Nice idea, but organising it will be quite tough. It'll be good for the World Cup though.

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I admire your enthusiasm:)

I don't know why you didn't like www.turkishsoccer.com :D

You know that website is probably made in a few minutes. And they're probably waiting to sell the domain name;)

I dont know much about the technical stuff, but if anyone of you out there is interested that knows about technical details and of course others who is willing to add on content on just probably a weekly basis, we could have a great one! and I said, this will be a team work, so whoever is interested, write here then we can talk the details later.
I'd be glad to contribute. However, I have some reserves about it:)

Tehnical responsibility: I don't know if any of you have enough technical background about running an updated webpage. But, I know very well that it's a very time consuming job. That would be the biggest problem against this idea:(

If there is somebody who can handle this other parts are easier than one can imagine:)

Economic responsibility: As most of you guys know. If you wanna have a domain name like this, you have to pay some money. It should be about 10-20$ per month. Any volunteers?

It can be a better idea to use one of the free webpage providers for a freeserver and see if it works. If the idea works, We can upgrade and even get a domain name like the one you mentioned.

The other possible problem is lack of inside information. Most of us are following the league without watching the games. We can give information about results and standings, but it wouldn't be easy to give the "reviews" basically because we are not able to :rolleyes:

I also wanna hear what rest of the folks think

:cool:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good points there Aragon. I think your concerns would be everyone else's so let me give you my take on them.

Technical responsibility: Though I dont know much, maybe nothing at all:) about the technical side of the issue, if any are willing to take on that responsibility, at least, give us any information to do it if they are not interested, it would be great. It will take some time to set it up defnitely, I dont think once you set up the site, you need to do a lot for on the technical side, other than just adding to the content.

Economic responsibility: Let me start with a question first. for ex. that turkishsoccer.com url is not yet taken by anyone. Would we still have to pay? and where?

I would be willing to add in a good amount of that money if we are willing to work n this. Also, dont forget, if we can attract enough visitors(I am sure we can when there is no other site that offers any content!), we can have ads placed and make even a profit.

We could also start with a free web page provider for a free server. Hagi said he would be willing to offer the web space. I am not sure what the differences are. All these optuions are considerable.

Well, I watch the gala games. I have friends who watch the fener and besiktas games. But I dont think thats a big issue cuz there are all these newspapers, information sites that do extensive coverage of the games. Thats my take on the issues you voiced. What do you think? Lets see what others are thinking.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aragon said:

You know that website is probably made in a few minutes. And they're probably waiting to sell the domain name;)

I hadnt thought of that. They are actually smart;)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Good idea.But as Aragon mentioned,there is a lot of problems to be solved.Maybe with all of us it can be easier to speak of Turkish football in a whole.
But I think the main problems are:can we all of us find enough time to run the site correctly?And does anybody know how to run a site?Maybe some of you know how Galatasaray.com and Antu.com are runned.We could have some advice also from Xtratime,do anyone know how did they start?
Also,I believe if the site is to work it has to be both in Turkish and English.Maybe a partnership with Xtratime is possible.I don't know,but I think there isn't many Turkish sites about football,most of the sites that I am used to check are general sites(newspapers,TV,club sites,...).
Some questions:
-what could we really gain?
-and exactly,what kind of sites you are thinking of,information sites like newspapers with continuous news(but then I don't see how it's possible)or a site like Galatasaray.com?

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
: Let me start with a question first. for ex. that turkishsoccer.com url is not yet taken by anyone. Would we still have to pay? and where?
Yes we have to pay:tongue:

There are internet sites just for that. You can check it from register.com:cool:

About url issue, as far as I know, when you pay for the domain name(url) you just buy the domain name.

However, they generally offer you some webspace, which you will need to store your stuff.:)

Well, there are some ways to avoid spending money on domain name or webspace. Like I said we need somebody who knows about that stuff and willing to spend time on it;)

Those freeservers gives you the advantage of using their template so that you don't have to know html or MS Front page:cool:

But, again it's very unlimited if you don't know technical details:(

Also, dont forget, if we can attract enough visitors, we can have ads placed and make even a profit.
There are two ways to make profit. First one is to attract visitors and to have ads. But I am not as optimistic as you are. It is really not that easy

Because it's a very limited market. Turkish internet business is not as big as you would imagine:(

And second one is to sell the domain name if your site becomes a little popular, like the smart fella in the turkishsoccer.com;)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Aragon said:
There are two ways to make profit. First one is to attract visitors and to have ads. But I am not as optimistic as you are. It is really not that easy

Because it's a very limited market. Turkish internet business is not as big as you would imagine:(

And second one is to sell the domain name if your site becomes a little popular, like the smart fella in the turkishsoccer.com;)
The Turkish internet business might be very limited but it can only expand,and the fisrt one on the market would have an advantage.New ideas are always welcomed.
For the ads,you are right,I really don't see how we can have some(maybe friends of us who are ready to pay;) ).And without ads,I don't see how we can make profit.

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
Some questions:
-what could we really gain?
-and exactly,what kind of sites you are thinking of,information sites like newspapers with continuous news(but then I don't see how it's possible)or a site like Galatasaray.com?
Good questions:)

-We would gain the satisfaction of having our names on that webpage :D

-Both are almost impossible, they have full staff to do all this stuff, and we will have just volunteers with limited time:)

In my mind, I have one model what's the best we could do. Please check: www.turkishbasketball.com :cool:

All the problems aside, we will have one big advantage it's gonna be English and updated:cool:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are several other things to talk about but first let me say that in the intitial phase, I am looking for no profit whatsoever, but just to breakeven the cost of running one. If we cant do that, then its not much worth it. But then, by time, as we learn more and gain expereince we could think see where we are going and add more stuff maybe who knows...then maybe even make money from it, but thats not my initial intention.

and right now, i am asking a friend of mine who is running a web site to see what we need in order to do it, so i ll post everything he said here.;)

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Aragon said:
Good questions:)

-We would gain the satisfaction of having our names on that webpage :D

-Both are almost impossible, they have full staff to do all this stuff, and we will have just volunteers with limited time:)

I thought Carlito was thinking more of gaining money.:)
On the second point,it is exactly what I think,we might also need some journalist that go and interview the players and clubs.:D
I have an idea,maybe we could try to bring some guest(football players),if we can contact them by their internet sites.:cool: :)

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I am looking for no profit whatsoever, but just to breakeven the cost of running one.
If we do it on a freeserver there will be no cost whatsover;)

Other than our times;)

So, it's doable:cool:

·
Premier Player
1,790 Posts
I have an idea,maybe we could try to bring some guest(football players),if we can contact them by their internet sites
Where would we bring them to the guest house of our virtual world?:D

I just checked www.turkishsoccer.com and turkishfootball.com They've been taken. To have that domain name you have to offer at least 200$:eek:

And to have www.turkishleague.com, you have to pay
$35 for a year
$70 for 2 years
$150 for 5 years
$299 for 10 years

It may be different for different providers, I got this info from register.com:)

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am getting some onformation right now, maybe that can help us.

I am emailing register.com to see how much it would cost to get www.turkishleague.com with a webserver. My freind also said that after u set up the design, there is no other work. He also said that DREAMWEAVER is the best website contemplate to do the webpages. He did his and here it is. Very professional looking imo. http://vdfl.gcpro.de/

He is talking about 3$ per month with the free server but of course we can only know that after the email. and of course, there are free ones.

I dont know if you already knew all this but I didnt. Other than that, he offered to make a very professinal looking webpage for some money:tongue:

I dont know what else..??

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kubi said:

I thought Carlito was thinking more of gaining money.:)
On the second point,it is exactly what I think,we might also need some journalist that go and interview the players and clubs.:D
I have an idea,maybe we could try to bring some guest(football players),if we can contact them by their internet sites.:cool: :)
Great ideas Kubi...we could do that..

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking of both news and infomatio site. www.turkishbasketball.com is a good example thought I dont like the look of it that much.

We could update the news very easily. I mean i always check the web pages for new news and rumors so we could just check and add to the site as we see. It wouldnt take much time than what I normally do everyday.

In the initial phase, we could start by having the results, standings, news...and then if we wanted, as we go along, we could add stuff about the teams information on them and the players etc as it takes more time to do this...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
We could make some chats with some players through internet,but I really don't know how you can realise this.:D:cool:
About bring them to our virtual world,I meant we could try to ask them through their sites and interview them and then we will bring the interview in our site,but they are professional,they might ask money.;) :cool: :D

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.