Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all talk about Overmars ,Parlour , Zenden and other midfielders but what about him ?
He is defently a better right wing then Parlour
Isnt it anybody that thinks he will belong two the start team next year???
If that isnt the case he maybe shall move because he is worth to play from start!
Does anyone agree???

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah, ive wondered about his position in the squad. I'm not sure you can say he's better on the right though than parlour, he was given the oppotunity to play there early last season, but failed to make an impact, so wenger shifted him into being overmars sub on the left. Where he played alot better, and indeed superseeded overmars in the starting line up until he cracked his ribs and put himself out of contention.

Freddies problem is that he lacks discipline....and his finishing of course. He dosen't seem to realize that the team plays to certain set of tactics, and it would be better if he confined himself to them instead of continually running all over the pitch. He has to understand that he's not in a free role, hes on the left wing. I suppose he could possibly argue that he's primarily a creative central midfielder and therefore being played out of position, which may be true, but I doubt that he would be able to command a first choice place in that position at any big club.

Personally I would like to keep him, I think he is a good player, he has very good movement, and once hes sorted his head out he could be a very good player.

[Edited by blitheid on 07-07-2000 at 20:02]

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some notes...

You have right in certain points there BlitHeid...
I totally agree that he should manage his temper a little better but
Im swedish and I now what Freddie can do as a free-role
central midfielder player and Wenger knows that to
He bought freddie after seing him in halmstad and Sweden national squad and im sure he can past every defennder in the world if he gets the position that he wants otherwise he's a waste of money and some other team can buy him and use him right!
If wenger starts playing Freddie in a David Ginola type of role he would be excellent and a great suport for Kanu/Henry/Bergkamp
We have all seen that he wants to play there and he's best when he play there and all in england sure knows that after his games against the eglish national team there he totally humiliated them
Now when the swedish coaches have understand his right position that Halmstad manager understod before them I really hope Wenger will understand it to
And if he dont I doubt he wanna stay in Arsenal because he's a new Thomas Brolin and we all knew what happend when he didnt get the change to play in the midfield in Leeds there he was forced to play as a forward, he soon got really mad and the rest is history...

B

·
0 Posts
When I mentioned about him sorting his head out, I was primarily talking about him learning to play with some measure of discipline, to a set of tactics. Instead of continually running around like he has a fire cracker up his @rse, when hes supposed to playing right midfield.

I agree with you to some extent, freddie is great when allowed to play a free role, infact seemingly thats the only way he knows how to play...when he dosen't have to follow any tactics. How many players in the world get a free role in a major team? does rivaldo get a free role at barcelona?, does figo? No. That's my point, it's alright to give him a free role at a small club like tottenham, or even in the swedish team, where he's basically the only creative influence in midfield, but it's not okay at arsenal.

He has to able to link well with the other players, he has to be able to play tactically, and we don't play in a system that permits him to occupy that type of position anyway. The best position for him, as he is, in our current system would be the support striker role, indeed he played very well against manure in that position, but the fact is he's not going to be able to get above either kanu or bergkempt in the pecking order. So, we can adapt, he can improve his positional sense and adapt, or.....

p.s I guess when brolin gets mad....he eats.

[Edited by blitheid on 07-07-2000 at 23:20]

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess your right and Im sure he could play good in support striker role
Well see what will happen next season...
Now when we got Pires freddie will have it hard to take that position to or we can play like this(if overmars and Vieira go):

Henry-Bergkamp
'
'
Ljungberg

Pires Parlour
Vieira

Silvihno Keown Adams Lauren(or Dixon)

???(maybe R.Wright??)

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe this

I think he can play good in a suport striker role to but now when Pires is here even that will be hard but if petit and overmars go :

-----------------Bergkamp------Henry------------------------
^
'
----------------------Ljungberg-----------------------------

-----Pires-------------------------------------Parlour------

-----------------------Vieira-------------------------------

-----Silvinho-----Keown---------Adams----------Lauren(or Dixon)

--------------------------???-------------------------------

B

·
0 Posts
Hmmmm, very attacking, so it appeals, but I think we might have some very serious problems defensively. Adams and keown aren't exactly the quickest anymore, so having only vieria in front of them tackleing, might leave us very vulnerable.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keown and Adams is a problem as you say because they not as fast as they use to be but we can allways try to play the youngster Matthew Upson , dont you think?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Overmars will not leave...Don't even let yourself consider the possibility...With the arrival of Edu, that gives us Edu, Pires, and Ljudenberg all as subs in midfield. This can only make me beleive that Lauren will be playing as a right back, assuming we stick with a four-four-two. Assuming neither Petit, veira, or Overmars are leaving, then four international players will surely not accept sitting on the bench. Therefore, I can only imagine Lauren as a right back.
On Freddie, he was a bargain for only 3 million pounds, can play anywhere in midfield (a very rare trait these days), and has been a star on the international level. His true position is center midfield, but he is so versatile that he fills in everywhere. I can see him overtaking Parlour at right midfield.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i reckon next season, ljungberg will still be on the bench. He didnt really impress in euro2000, and i think the only midfielder who has a chnace of leaving will be overmars :mad:
ljungberg should definitely not be sold, because as bulldog says, he is very versatile but i think to be able to claim a first team place in arsenal, he has to decide which position he wants to go for, and try and play really well in that position
otherwise, wenger will just use him as cover for petit, overmars, vieira and parlour

B

·
0 Posts
Yeah, wenger is premeditatedly going out and buying versatile players: edmilson, lauren, edu, pires - can all play in multiple positions. It adds great flexibility to the team.

Wakky,

Matthew upson has a broken leg, and as such will not be fit for the start of the season. Edmilson will most likely be joining our merry band of 'penalty missers' though. I'm not sure he would make that much difference anyway. The system places alot of pressure on us defencively, so all our defenders will have to be both very mobile and very good. Look at manure, the system is similar to the way they play when scholes is incorporated in their team, and despite having a colossus(visually as well) like stam in there back row, they still concede a mountain of goals. Our attack would need to be at least as efficient as theres.

It would require us to put alot of pressure on the opponents, so it wouldn't work with parlour, since he can't pass or keep the ball sufficiently well. It wouldn't suit henry either, since he isn't really a box striker, which this system would favour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts