Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reckon we aught to try and get him. Put him on the right, move becks in the middle, with Keano, and Giggs on the left. Just a thought.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Duff on the right? Wouldn't work.

As you'd know Fred m'boy he is a left-sided lad - if you look at his performance on the right for Ireland against Spain late in the game when he dropped deeper he was always looking to cut inside onto his left.

While this would allow Becks to overlap on the right I just cant see it working - especially considering how easily the midfield adjusted to fitting JSV into the side :rolleyes: - not only that, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to devise a plan to exploit it and counter-attack through Gary Neville.

Duff's best work is down the left. Now Giggsy will not be dropped for him so why not spend the money in an area where you need to improve like central defence or *gasp* between the sticks :)

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Fred Elliot said:
I reckon we aught to try and get him. Put him on the right, move becks in the middle, with Keano, and Giggs on the left. Just a thought.

Anyone else?
we've got enough midfielders already si, but if giggs were to leave duff would make an excellent replacement. we've already got 5 world-class midfielders, whereas the likes of liverpool still only have 1! for now we should concentrate on getting a couple of decent defenders. i very much doubt blackburn would sell duff anyway. they've been left sunstancial funds by jack walker and i can't see sousness selling his best player.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
He could be used as a support striker for Ruud.He'd link up well with RVN and they would complement each other perfectly since Duff posseses one thing that RVN lacks and thats pace.

So Fergie could play him as a striker,sort of role that Di Canio would have played if he had arrived,and let Giggsy take up his preffered role in the left flank.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dyertribe said:
Duff on the right? Wouldn't work.

As you'd know Fred m'boy he is a left-sided lad - if you look at his performance on the right for Ireland against Spain late in the game when he dropped deeper he was always looking to cut inside onto his left.

Duff's best work is down the left. Now Giggsy will not be dropped for him so why not spend the money in an area where you need to improve like central defence or *gasp* between the sticks :)
true, but he's very versatile, and I liked what I saw in the games I saw him in. I think he's the type of player who could adapt to any position you put him in (well, within reason. obviously, not in goal;) )

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
we've already got 5 world-class midfielders, whereas the likes of liverpool still only have 1!
Yet Liverpool's midfield still undeniably outplayed Man Utd's when they met earlier in the year at Old Trafford. Not to mention the four previous meetings and the fact that we finished higher in the league than you...

Besides, why would a good player like Duff want to join YOU, when he could join a team actually improving and going places like us, rather than one on a decline for the last two years?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
forget about duff...blackburn wouldn't sell him... :D

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Carson35 said:
forget about duff...blackburn wouldn't sell him... :D
Why wouldn't they sell? Blackburn aren't the moneybags club they used to be since big Jack passed on - although he did bequeath a large pot of gold to the club in the form of a fund/kitty.

We all know how Souness laid out a huge chunk of change on Corrado Floppi last season so he may be looking to balance the books. Added to this, there is no doubt that with all respect to BRFC, Damien Duff is too good for the club and will be looking to move if not now, mid-season to further his career.

So would Souness cash in now and get upwards of 15 million squid for him or let an unhappy Duff walk out of the club for free in the not-to-distant future (depending on contract length)?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
FootballFanatic said:

good point, he is there star player!!!

Didn't they sell Shearer when the price was right?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Ronaldioho propably wont come coz they would have saw what he plays like!

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
dyertribe said:

Didn't they sell Shearer when the price was right?
that was different though. shearer wanted to finish his career at his the club where his roots were, and it ws for a world-record fee at the time.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Beefy said:

that was different though. shearer wanted to finish his career at his the club where his roots were, and it ws for a world-record fee at the time.

I'm well aware of that beefy, and the point is Shearer wanted to leave so they sold - and yes it was a world record therefore the price was right ;)

So if Duff wants to leave and Man U put a bid on the table which BRFC couldn't refuse what's the problem?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
dyertribe said:

I'm well aware of that beefy, and the point is Shearer wanted to leave so they sold - and yes it was a world record therefore the price was right ;)

So if Duff wants to leave and Man U put a bid on the table which BRFC couldn't refuse what's the problem?
well, fancy making a bet on it?:) :cool:

·
International
9,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Red Mist said:

Besides, why would a good player like Duff want to join YOU, when he could join a team actually improving and going places like us, rather than one on a decline for the last two years?
improving? not really, I actually think you're mentality has taken a backward step. Theres no doubt that the reds bottled it near the end of the season.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Beefy said:

well, fancy making a bet on it?:) :cool:
Urgh, don't talk to me about betting. .. Korea's run alone cost me AU$50 :(

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Red Mist said:

:howler: ...

Why would the attack-minded Duff want to join Liverpool, who it's rumoured are going to be charged with Crimes Against Football by Kofi Annan at The Hague in due time.

Try winning something other than a tinpot cup nobody cares about anymore ... oh wait, my lot haven't won anything since Man walked on the Moon ...

As you were ... :depress:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think Duff would fit snuggly into the ManU setup. Fergie seems to like playing Giggs as a support striker and having Duff aswell would mean the two could interchange when necessary causing nightmares for whatever lucky sod gets to try mark them.

Duff would start in his usual position on the left wing with Giggsy playing through the middle and the could change around if Giggs isn't having any luck or vice versa - it also means that if Giggs is injured ( lets face it - he usually is) then United have a consistant and world class replacement - instead of Fortune.

As a Blackburn fan I am resigned to the fact that Duffer will leave us either this year or next, but I would rather he went to ManU where his talent would be made use of rather than Liverpool where he would given some semi defensive role that will hamper his attacking talents...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts