Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mmm.... We cannot predict what is GH doing, can we?
He signed Diomede today, $3M signing from Auxerre.
Have anyone heard of Diomede? How good is he?He is a left winger, so that means Patrik Berger will what?
I lost the plot.. can anyone tell me what's going on here?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Berger is never a left winger, and he's publicly mentioned that he wants to play in a more central role.

There will be no "first eleven" next season for Liverpool. GH will use the players he feel will do the job against different opponents.

As for Diomede, good luck to him. I saw him in the last World Cup, played a couple of games didn't he? Didn't really impressed me though, looked pretty ordinary, but then again GH must have seen something in him to buy him. And what a funny name.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Aye, he surprised everyone there. My confidence is building in H. day by day.

So why buy him?

1: Houllier has stated he wants a left winger who plays wide. This is that player, Berger isn't.

2: Berger likes to play a more central role behind the front two, and in my opinion this is where he is best.

3: Houllier is big on tactics. He likes to have a complete squad from which he can select a team to provide him with the right tactical solution. This acquisition is a perfect example of this.

4: The player has not reached his potential. He knows that under Houllier he will learn a lot thereby improving his career. He is by no means a great player, but if he is going to be and he could, then Houllier is the man to turn him into one.

I think we are all beginning to realise that Houllier has learned from his past experience. He used to be a teacher, and I think he believes he can teach his players to be tactical and improve their skills. If you look at his comments on the Euro2000 teams, tactical awareness and team technical skill seems to be his priority. He is building Liverpool into such a team. A problem this year was that we were unable to break down a team that had resolved to defend because we had limited options. Those options will increase as the players learn and apply tactics. Teams coming to Anfield will think, Christ what is he going to do?, who is he going to play?

X

·
0 Posts
diomede is not a great or world class player...but he is quite good....i would compare him to someone like camara..or maybe just a bit better and more regular...

anyway i noticed that GH made berger play the last few games in central midfield...and if my guess is right...he probably wants berger to stay in that position next season...

berger plays much better in behind the 2 strikers and would certainly create more occassions for owen, heskey and fowler

also diomede is a true winger ...which we don't have at all!

even smicer is not a true winger...he basically plays in behind the 2 strikers as well....!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Currently in Liverpool FC squad, do we have true winger? Don't tell me Thompson is not as well?

I think with the signing of Babble, we can have Heggem, Thompson and Smicer fight for the right wing position... hehehe...

X

·
0 Posts
i think that thompson and heggem can play at their best in a wing-back position....but yeah they can also do well in a winger position...

they're the rare players we have that don't tend to drift towards central midfield all the time...

anyway i think it's good to have diomede since we didn't hve anybody as back-up....
remember GH always used murphy as left winger when berger was out injured or unavailable!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts