Xtratime Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
48,795 Posts
:depress:

Ridsdale's careless spending has cost this club dear.First Division football next year...who would have seen this coming two years ago?

It is obvious that we will lose our best players during the summer.Smith, Robinson, probably Viduka and some others too...it will not be easy to get back into the Prem with debts on our back.Future looks bleak for LUFC.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,130 Posts
don't wait for an immediate promotion.. thats going to be hard. but optimistically thinking, "out of the ashes new heroes will rise"

you lot have a great task ahead of you. hopefully teh youth setup will bring forth more alan smiths and maybe one day your proud Yorkshire club will be in teh premiership again.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Birmingham actually had an opening bid of £5.75m rejected for Smith so I think it's certain he'll go for £5m+. Viduka and Robinson will both probably go for around the £5m mark as well.
That was before they were relegated.

They now have to make up a 20million loss in revenue on top of servicing a still very large debt.

Expect a fire sale, bargains to be had, players to be sold.

2 for 1 everything must go.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I saw the game on TV.
The first impression after 25 minutes was that Leeds played without passion, without any ball control and defense was cut to pieces MANY times and EASILY - Leeds Midfield and defense was beaten badly.

Oh Boy - this was not going well.

A VERY lucky Penalty was given to Leeds and there was hope.

Still Leeds played SXXT, Viduka is sent off ( stupidly ) and it didn't change nothing.

Bolton was always going to win easily.

Leeds players deep inside saw the writing on the wall and had the white flag up right from the start.
SMITHY and maybe Robinson were the only player who played well.

Now - Gray must pick a new team in the last 2 games and get rid of at least 5-7 players - I have already named them before.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Thanx JL... :( This is a sad day, but a day that I think we all knew was comming. It's a strange feeling you know, the EPL has always been apart of my life but now that my team is gone it seems that the 1st Division will take it's place.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Andy Christ said:
Future looks bleak for LUFC.

Knowing the PAST makes the present bleak and the bleakness to come bleaker.

This is a beautiful example of chickens coming home to roost.

The excesses and decadence of Ridsdale and his board; playing with peoples livelihoods and hearts.

The culture of thuggery on the pitch fostered by O'Leary’s recruitment policy led to the misdemeanours off the pitch of Johnson, Bowyer and Woodgate.

The causal roadside sexual abuse of Morris and Pennant.

The mistreatment of Duberry, Olembe, Sakho.

the complacency of Roque Junior, Fowler.

The twisted loyalty of Dubbery, Matteo, Radabe, Batty and Gray must be questioned.

But as the good book says :
All things will come to bear

'The fruits we bear are never bitter, unless cast on bad soil and without the due care and attention”

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
First of all, my deepest condolence to all Leeds Utd. fans. It's sad to see good club like Leeds had to be relegated like this... :(

This is my second time I see a club that used to be CL class team relegated due to club management mistake (the first one is Fiorentina, btw). I admit that I have little dislike to Leeds because of their harsh play against Valencia and their victory against us last season. But this season, I really feel sorry about this club which has gone weak month by month.

It's really sad to see loyal players like Smith and Robinson shed their tears... :depress:

Final words, I wish you all best luck and don't give up hope. I am sure Leeds Utd. will rise again.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
The thing is for Leeds, with financial uncertainty, it could be fatal for your promotion push next year. Allow me to explain.

If you go into administration whilst in Division 1, you are deducted 10 points automatically. This means you need to go into administration whilst in the premiership to avoid the penalty. This means that unless you go into administration before May 15th, you'll get the deduction. However, administration is a huge risk, so taking this step could also be unwise, as it could lead to Liquidation. So its either 10 points deduction, meaning you may not get to the financial haven of the premiership immediately, or administration now. It is a dilemma.

Just to brighten up your day.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
1st Tier Poster
48,795 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
First of all, my deepest condolence to all Leeds Utd. fans. It's sad to see good club like Leeds had to be relegated like this... :(

This is my second time I see a club that used to be CL class team relegated due to club management mistake (the first one is Fiorentina, btw). I admit that I have little dislike to Leeds because of their harsh play against Valencia and their victory against us last season. But this season, I really feel sorry about this club which has gone weak month by month.

It's really sad to see loyal players like Smith and Robinson shed their tears... :depress:

Final words, I wish you all best luck and don't give up hope. I am sure Leeds Utd. will rise again.
Thanks for the kind words.It's good to see that some rival fans have compassion towards our club's sad state.

The similarities between Fiorentina and Leeds are clear.We are not bankrupt yet, but what Ridsdale did to us was almost as bad what Cecchi Gori did to them.I'm sure that Ridsdale & co had good intentions but their plan to make Leeds a European powerhouse in only couple of years was built on thin ice.And now the club and the fans have to suffer big time because of this financial incompetence.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,795 Posts
The Green One said:
The thing is for Leeds, with financial uncertainty, it could be fatal for your promotion push next year. Allow me to explain.

If you go into administration whilst in Division 1, you are deducted 10 points automatically. This means you need to go into administration whilst in the premiership to avoid the penalty. This means that unless you go into administration before May 15th, you'll get the deduction. However, administration is a huge risk, so taking this step could also be unwise, as it could lead to Liquidation. So its either 10 points deduction, meaning you may not get to the financial haven of the premiership immediately, or administration now. It is a dilemma.

Just to brighten up your day.

~ The Green ;)ne
I suppose that going into administration before May 15th is out of question.The new board is already making plans to next season. Hopefully they manage to achieve some kind of financial stability and we manage to avoid the administration next season too.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
CardiffRed said:
But great news for the rest of the Premiership.

see you in 7 years...hopefully longer.
Agreed.

No more Munich chants or throwing golf balls at our disabled section from the Lids supporters. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
would administration be beneficial

Watching that game was gut-wrenching,
http://www.leedsunited.com/images/03_04/matteo/matteo_smith_bolton.jpg
http://www.leedsunited.com/images/03_04/smith/smith_relegated.jpg
but we got no less than what we deserved, with the management that was there.
Andy Christ said:
I suppose that going into administration before May 15th is out of question.The new board is already making plans to next season. Hopefully they manage to achieve some kind of financial stability and we manage to avoid the administration next season too.
Wouldn't it be better to go into administration as a member of the FA Premier League, and clear the debts generated by the prior management, without a deduction of 10 points by the Football League?

[ where will this forum be next season? ]

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
good point

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
The False Nine
An analytical and satirical digest.

http://www.thefalsenine.co.uk/2013/09/27/solid-roque-leeds-uniteds-roque-junior/

‘Solid as a Roque’ – Leeds United’s Roque Junior

Posted on September 27, 2013 by The Samba Series
Leeds defender Roque Junior wears a torn shirt

Eamonn Dalton, of Howson Is Now & The Square Ball, runs the rule over World Cup winner Roque Junior and his brief time at Elland Road…

Cast your mind back. 30 June 2002. Brazil vs Germany in the World Cup FInal. Two second half goals from Ronaldo give Brazil a deserved victory and a record fifth World Cup Championship.

Cast your mind back. 15 September 2003. Leicester City vs Leeds United in the Premier League. Goals from Jamie Scowcroft, Lilian Nalis and two from Paul Dickov more or less confirmed Leeds’ relegation – it was only September, but we all knew.

One man and one man alone starred in both of these games. He transcended football. He transcended reality. He is Roque Junior. I am baffled.

The signing of Tomas Brolin was slightly before my time – I wasn’t out buying IKEA products, listening to Abba or eating a Swede. For the slightly younger generation, Roque Junior was the international superstar to take us the next level, and in a way he did. We should have seen it coming really, the previous summer we were linked with fellow World Cup winner Kleberson. We dodged a bullet there, Kleberson signed for Manchester United instead and did little of note in his 2 year stay. The same could not be said of our Roque.

Roque Junior and Ronaldinho

The 2003/2004 season did not get off to a good start. Peter Reid’s grand plan of a team made up entirely of French loan players was not paying dividends, despite a promising and now legendary opening day performance from Lamine Sakho. An injury to Dominic Matteo forced Reid into the transfer market again, and it was to AC Milan that he would be calling. Quite how he got that phone number I’ll never know. In any event, Leeds ended up with a World Cup winning centre back on loan until the end of the season.

Like everyone else, I was pretty excited about Roque Junior’s arrival. His debut came in the aforementioned game against Leicester, just days after arriving in Leeds after being on International duty. His debut was, well, less than good. I wasn’t too downhearted at the time, he’d only just shown up and maybe given time he’d settle in just fine. His second appearance may have been worse, the red card he earned against Birmingham City led to our 2-0 defeat. He even struggled against Swindon. Poor old Roque was quickly going from the top to the bottom, as were we really. The 4-0 loss to Everton was yet another hammering after yet another poor performance.

Zoumana Camara struck me as a player who would have benefitted from a steady defensive partner, he has been a regular at both Saint Etienne and Paris Saint Germain over the past 8 seasons, but Roque was anything but steady. When he won the World Cup with Brazil, he played as part of a 3 man central defence alongside Lucio and Edmilson, with Cafu and Roberto Carlos as wing backs. In such a team it would be easy to hide his own shortcomings. You could probably make comparisons between Roque Junior and Chelsea’s David Luiz (but not as good) – much like Luiz, Roque was prone to dive in to tackles, hunt the ball to no great effect and generally find himself out of position at almost every moment. His hair was quite funny too.

The highlight of Roque’s Leeds career was undoubtedly the League Cup game against Manchester United. Inexplicably, he managed to score twice, including an equalizer in extra time. We eventually lost 3-2, but maybe we should have been playing him up front all along. Another heavy defeat in the league followed however, with Arsenal giving us our annual hammering. It was then that Peter Reid decided to change things up. For the game away to Portsmouth he decided to deploy Roque in centre midfield. Doesn’t sound like too bad of an idea does it? Well, a 6-1 defeat says otherwise. It was to be Reid’s last act as manager (other than the clearing out of his desk) as he was sacked. Roque meanwhile was never seen again.

Looking back, Roque was destined to fail. A struggling team of loanees, a manager not up to the job, and a financial mess turning the club upside down. Add this to Roque playing in an unfamiliar system, in an unfamiliar league, and of course, the fact that he was really shit. He hasn’t done much since he left Leeds, according to Wikipedia anyway, playing in Germany, Qatar, and his home country of Brazil. He’s become a bit of a cult hero amongst Leeds fans, up there with greats such as Jacob Burns and Enoch Showunmi. Maybe it’s time we signed another Brazilian – probably couldn’t get any worse right? Right? Knowing our luck Warnock would have made a bid for Roque Senior.

===

Renato Bonfiglio and Celso Christofoletti of Nhô Quim present the new microbraided dreadlocked commander:

Attachments

21 - 37 of 37 Posts