Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
All is Right

I have heard that it is sunny in Leeds today.

Isn't great to be humbled by nature?

The hills of Yorkshire are alive flowers sense the world is a good place to be.

The birds are chirping.

The lakes and rivers flow on for they know where they are going even if we don't.

In hospitals around Leeds children are being born brought into a world of love devotion and security.

In Mosques in the heart of Leeds Prayers are made to the vulnerable, the weak and the homeless.

All around Leeds if you choose to look closely enough there is joy peace, charity, growth, humility and compassion.

All is right our world.
all is right in Leeds.

D

·
0 Posts
massive clubs end up coming straight back up, Leeds are well too big to go down. They'll be back up soon, even if they sell all their players, they'll find a way.

Leeds United - Nationwide Division One

That title just doesn't fit.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What a sad day...
Really?

Couldn't get any better personally.

Leeds are well too big to go down.
Obviously not.

massive clubs end up coming straight back up
No they don't, it's nothing but a romantic cliche to suggest otherwise.

Leeds still have a big debt and will now lose between 17 and 20 million pound in income on top of still having one of the largest wage bills in the prem let alone the Nationwide.

Viduka, Smith, Robinson, Milner and a whole host of others will leave leaving you a squad of kids and the few players not good enough to be asset stripped.

No money to buy players of any serious quality and the chance of you bouncing straight back nil.

You'll either do a Sheff Wed and plummet further or become an average first division side.

It is indeed a good day.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
No team has the divine right to play at the top flight.

It is earned.
Relegation is earned.
Promotion is earned.

Just ask your neighbours in Sheffield, the folks in Nottingham or the Bubble blowers in London.

History and reputation are merely ghosts hanging over the shoulders of those who think privilege equates to merit.

"I have heard former beauties claim little while recalling their former glories"

D

·
0 Posts
CardiffRed said:
Really?

Couldn't get any better personally.

What's your reason for hating Leeds United?

No they don't, it's nothing but a romantic cliche to suggest otherwise.

snip.
These clubs

Newcastle United
Blackburn Rovers
Sunderland
Manchester City <---down two divisions.
Nottingham Forest

Clubs with a big history have been playing Division One football in last ten years. and have eventually come back up at some point. Blackburn came back and won the Premiership, Newcastle came back and were pipped to the league twice by Man Utd.

Sheffield Wednesday isn't as big as Leeds. They didn't have the facilities or the youth academy that Leeds have when they went down.

Leeds are too big, they'll eventually sort out their debt, and when they do come up their wage bill won't be so high.

Leeds will be come up eventually.

Leeds are a big club, nothing to do with history. When I say Leeds are a big club I mean they are a big club. When they go down they will have the best facilties in the Division One. Which means they have the potential. Sure they'll get rid of their star players and be in debt, but what other club hasn't done that when they went down? West Ham were exactly the same, still are in debt, sold all their best players, they're in the Play-offs, and if they aren't up this year they will be up the next, they aren't as big as Leeds.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
An hour ago they were coming straight back up, now they'll come up eventually?

West Ham, while in debt, are not in the financial mess Leeds are. I can't see them getting more than 5 million for any player during the net few months.

Leeds are down and are in very serious danger of spiralling completely out of control.

I can't wait.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Size doesn't matter it's what you do with what you've got.

Frank Bruno was big once, look what debt did to him...

I don't dispute Leeds 'bigness'

I just doubt the things you speak of will guarantee a swift premiership return, at least I hope not.

Didn't you see 'Trading Places'?

'The harder they come the bigger they fall' Jimmy Cliff

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Newcastle United
Blackburn Rovers
Sunderland
Manchester City <---down two divisions.
Nottingham Forest
So which of these clubs came "straight back up"?

Newcastle weren't a big club, they were getting crowds of 12,000 in the early 90's before Keegan.

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Size doesn't matter it's what you do with what you've got.

washingtone17 said:
Frank Bruno was big once, look what debt did to him...
:howler:

·
RIP Alton Ellis
5,658 Posts
Many thanks to some of you. Yes, the task is massive and promotion is by no means on the cards.
In 1982, seven years after being robbed of the European Cup, Leeds went down and everyone thought it would be for a year. But it took 7 years and surprise surprise Leeds were champions two years later.
What will happen this time? Who knows, but looking at that debt, the task is even bigger. Leeds will be able to depend on their fanatical following but nowadays it's the TV earnings that bring the cash in. That or a saviour of some sort that just appears with the cash and does wonders for some clubs. but even that is risky and can end in disaster.
What a terribly sad week for Yorkshire football, for York City, Bradford City and now Leeds.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
But great news for the rest of the Premiership.

see you in 7 years...hopefully longer.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
well its not a sad day for me :D

I was cheering on Bolton all the time, and I am relieved. Normally we capitulate and let the other teams catch up, but for some reason its gone right this time. We didn't deserve to be that low anyway.

Anyway, unlucky Yorkies, but I am glad you went down over us. Who do you think will be sold? I'm betting: Robinson, Harte, Smith, Viduka, Milner, Matteo and Kelly.

Care to add to them names?

~ The Green :)ne

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
CardiffRed said:
West Ham, while in debt, are not in the financial mess Leeds are. I can't see them getting more than 5 million for any player during the net few months.
Birmingham actually had an opening bid of £5.75m rejected for Smith so I think it's certain he'll go for £5m+. Viduka and Robinson will both probably go for around the £5m mark as well.

Don't see why anyone thinks they will come straight back up. :confused: They're going to lose the core of the team that wasn't good enough to keep them in the Premiership and out of the XI today they'll probably lose Robinson, Caldwell, Pennant, Milner, Smith, Viduka and possibly others. They'll have to find good players on free transfers at reasonable wages, get at least three players in on loan and combine this with the remaining players and upcoming youngsters.

Wolves have the best chance of bouncing straight back up as they will be able to keep the spine of their team together and are the most financially secure which goes a long way. The play-offs are the best you can hope for, imo.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts