Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe this,Pavel Nedved has deservedly won the european footballer of the year award yet in the World Player of the year he barely gets a mention.
Really what does this say?Who actually does the voting here what an absolute joke.Anyhow Congratulations To Pavel a true deserved winner.:)

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Schumy just to clear this up

National Managers of each nation around the world vote world player of the year

European Journalists vote for Ballon D'Or

I am not sure if its a journalist per country but it is mixed!

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It proves what a load of Merda the awards really are.Not dissing nedved of course he's a worthy winner.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
In spite of some ponctual accidents, le Ballon d'Or has my support. WPY are mainly based on reputation and stardom. Which generally does reliability a disservice.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
In theory the world player of the year award sounds good

each national manager of each nation gets to choose their top 3 player of the year

but in practice its useless

some national managers of smaller countries are protuguese, brazilian, english or french etc. and they are obviously biased as there are no rules for these managers to not to choose those from their own nationality, only the french national manager cant choose a french player, but a french manager of say Cameroon can choose a french player - you know what I mean???

Then also the fact some managers just pick by popularity as they hardly get to see these players, (this is to countries especially out of europe)

so its a good idea, but doesnt work for me!!! Zidane has won this award 3 times, this makes him a legend really, and he probably is but he didnt deserve it this year!

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
FIFA.. obviously!

Ballon d'Or is slightly more respectable, no doubt. I'd even go so far as to say it has become the Palm d'Or of soccer. ;)

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Just wanted to make sure, Bob. Well, I don't believe they're rigged. There's just no need for traffic of influence when the principle of the award by itself encourages cluelesness!

Ciao.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
That infact is a form of rigging to, creating an overall principle that is bound to create a discrimination - is a form of abusing public polling. Whatever the case - the authority at large is to blame for a laughable award.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
In South America we have another award that is just like the Ballon D'or. It's from "El País", an uruguayan newspaper, and even though it's far from perfect, it's way better than FIFA Player...

However, it's only meant to chose the Best Player of South America of each year, and even though there have been years were the best performer of the year does it playing in South America, nobody cares.

Like when Romário and Riquelme co-won it. It was a perfect choice, and I dare saying they both were the best players in the world that year.
They meant sh¡t to F.P.Y. however. :groan:

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No the ones' who vote on the World player of the year, obviously watch a different game to those who vote for the European footballer of the year.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm not breeding any new conspiracy theories here, but have any of you guys noticed that since the FIFA World Player Of The Year started, players from ONLY five clubs actually win it?

Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona...

2003: Zinedine Zidane (FRA/Real Madrid)
2002: Ronaldo (BRA/Real Madrid)
2001: Luis Figo (POR/Real Madrid)
2000: Zinedine Zidane (FRA/Juventus)
1999: Rivaldo (BRA/Barcelona)
1998: Zinedine Zidane (FRA/Juventus)
1997: Ronaldo (BRA/Inter Milan)
1996: Ronaldo (BRA/Barcelona)
1995: George Weah (LBR/AC Milan)
1994: Romario (BRA/Barcelona)
1993: Roberto Baggio (ITA/Juventus)
1992: Marco van Basten (NED/AC Milan)
1991: Lothar Matthaeus (GER/Inter Milan)

Does this mean that the best players in the world ONLY play at these five clubs? I really doubt that..

If Zidane hadn't won it this year, I'd bet my bottom dollar that Ronaldo would have. Henry? He'll never win it as long as he stays at Arsenal...

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point Dharurat;) ,No doubt these winners are utter Champions but you have to wonder why do other players get overlooked.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Dharurat said:
I'm not breeding any new conspiracy theories here, but have any of you guys noticed that since the FIFA World Player Of The Year started, players from ONLY five clubs actually win it?

Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Real Madrid, Barcelona...

2003: Zinedine Zidane (FRA/Real Madrid)
2002: Ronaldo (BRA/Real Madrid)
2001: Luis Figo (POR/Real Madrid)
2000: Zinedine Zidane (FRA/Juventus)
1999: Rivaldo (BRA/Barcelona)
1998: Zinedine Zidane (FRA/Juventus)
1997: Ronaldo (BRA/Inter Milan)
1996: Ronaldo (BRA/Barcelona)
1995: George Weah (LBR/AC Milan)
1994: Romario (BRA/Barcelona)
1993: Roberto Baggio (ITA/Juventus)
1992: Marco van Basten (NED/AC Milan)
1991: Lothar Matthaeus (GER/Inter Milan)

Does this mean that the best players in the world ONLY play at these five clubs? I really doubt that..

If Zidane hadn't won it this year, I'd bet my bottom dollar that Ronaldo would have. Henry? He'll never win it as long as he stays at Arsenal...
I think that's going a bit too far, and it's just a pure co-incidence. Surely a player from another team will win, can win. But I do think FIFA do look at the prizes a player win in the previous season. And Henry only won the FA Cup. But I do think that either he or Nedved shouldv'e received the award for 2003.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Abominus said:
It would be strange if FIFA themselves didn't think too much of the Confederations Cup :)
yeah, but what else is knew with them...only good thing from them is the WC...thats where it starts and stops

1 - 20 of 24 Posts