Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've read an 'X vs Y' thread - always good for ridiculous claims, good debate and copious name-calling - so I thought I'd create one myself.

In the latest, I present to you Wes Brown - seemingly a joke amongst most non-Manchester United supporters - and the most expensive teenage defender of all time.

Both currently playing centre-back for teams without a midfield, both comfortable at right-back, both 'nautral' defenders.

In my opinion, all that Ramos currently has over Wes is his age. Wes is better positionally, he's more adept at heading and tackling, he reads the game better, he's got a better turn of foot - and most of all, he's a proper defender. He doesn't get bullied off the ball, and manhandled like Ramos does. He doesn't shy away from a challenge.

He has also been, in my opinion, one of the best centre-backs in the Premiership this year.

Speak your mind.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Wes Brown by far the better defender. Ramos cant even be compared to Rio. He looked absolutely terrible tonight.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I still have yet to be impressed with this Ramos kid, not good enough for the Spain starting 11 IMO. But he's still young.

Hopefully Brown's injury woes will be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Ramos is still very young. Unfair to compare an experienced defender to a youngster. Plus, Ramos plays for Madrid, making it an uphill battle to become a world-class defender.

Anyhow, getting back to the topic, Brown is the better defender at the moment.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Brown is just utter class.

I wonder how good he would be now if it wasn't for the two cruciate knee injuries and the broken leg. Nearly three seasons of football missed there, at key points in his development.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
SuicideDD said:
Brown is just utter class.

I wonder how good he would be now if it wasn't for the two cruciate knee injuries and the broken leg. Nearly three seasons of football missed there, at key points in his development.
Yep. I remember when he came back around when Ferdinand was banned - he was utterly hopeless, but he's been magnifique this season. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
This thread is just ridicilous. Ramos is miles ahead of Brown, hes only 18 and already class. People always forget how youung this kid is and where he plays. Give him a break dag nam it !

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Looking at the match yesterday i thought Raul Bravo was the better Madrid defender. I thought Rio was over rated, but i see a new winner. Wes Brown is in some amazing form. To say that Ramos is miles ahead of Brown you must be silly. Your going to have to see some recent United games.

At least there is time for Ramos to prove me wrong.

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
But Brown is more of a natural old fashioned, no nonesense defender. Brown is like Stam, while Ramos tries to be the new Nesta ;)

I prefer strong defenders who dont muck about :)

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
This is ubsurd. The kid is only 18 and is playing for a team where the strength of our midfield is Gravesan. What the hell do you expect. Granted that the kid has a lot to improve, but he is still young. The big problem is that at Madrid he has absolutely no one to learn from so that eventually he can assume that role on his own. Atleast if Hierro was still young and playing alongside him, Ramos could learn alot and become incredible. The problem is look who is defensive partners are. Bravo, Salgado and Roberto Carlos. Doesn't exactly instill fear in their opponents. Ramos could become great if he is given the right guidance and the rest of the defense also improves next season, if not I'm afraid he will be a lone young soldier being sent in for battle. I mean even Walter Samuel looked aweful playing for us, yet was always considered a good CB when playing in Italy.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Hala Madrid said:
Ramos is miles ahead of Brown, hes only 18 and already class. People always forget how youung this kid is and where he play
he is born on in March 1986 which means he is soon 20 years old.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Starcraft said:
Was Senderos partners yesterday much better?? Gilberto in midfield, and Eboue/Flamini to help him out??
Jesus, give me a break. Even as ineffective as Gilberto can be, he did his job which was to shut down the middle. And Flamini and Eboue, they played decent. Eboue even surged forward a few times and created some real danger. What the hell did Salgado do? Or Gravesan, our mural wall of a midfield! The guy couldn't even get the ball out of our area numerous times and passes it right to Arsenal. I'm not making excuses for Ramos, the guy was aweful last night and a big part of that is his fault. All I'm saying is that the kid still has potential, but it also depends if next season Madrid does the same and focuses on buying offensive players and forgets the defense. The kid is only about 18 or 19 years old and cannot be expected in one season to command the defense on his own, epsecially when confronting the best strikers in the world like Henry.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Hala Madrid said:
This thread is just ridicilous. Ramos is miles ahead of Brown, hes only 18 and already class. People always forget how youung this kid is and where he plays. Give him a break dag nam it !
technically he was awful last night, tried to clear a ball and missed it Henry almost got a ball clear because of that. Add the time he tried to leave offside a trown in and I think its hard to consider him class right now

its hard to play for a team with such a midfield, he has some qualities and is good at antecipating forwards but he makes too many little mistakes to be called class

also nobody can say a thing about RC last night, he was perfect, although he has been poor for ages.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
maybe Ramos is just an overrated girl ?

like woodgate? :howler:

this season, with madrid anyway when i saw him, i wasnt impressed by him at all, he;s just glorified cuz he's with madrid, average player :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts