Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wenger Pinches His Pennies

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has insisted he will save up his transfer funds this month to accumulate a £20 million summer warchest - and is not risking the title by doing so.

Wenger admitted his liking for Juan Pablo Angel and Jermain Defoe but maintained that it is now a "dangerous" time to enter the transfer window as he proclaimed the market to be "dead". Even with Sylvain Wiltord, Dennis Bergkamp and Jeremie Aliadiere injured and with Kanu soon due to leave for the African Nations' Cup, he will still not be lured into splashing out on a striker.

Not just yet, in any case. For it is in the summer, when Wiltord, Bergkamp and Kanu are all out of contract, that Wenger insists that he is planning to invest in a new forward: "We could spend £10million but, at the moment, it's very difficult to find players at the right price as there's no transfer market," he revealed. "I'm trying to make £20million in June with the £10million now. We're saving the money until then. I like Angel and I like Defoe, with whom I've been linked as well, but I've not been in for anyone and not made a bid for anyone."

It remains to be seen whether Wenger makes a summer move for Aston Villa striker Angel, against whom his side will pit their wits on Sunday, but there was no hiding Wenger's admiration for him.

"Once the ball is in the box, he's a dangerous player as he has good timing and a good sense of anticipation from crosses," he observed. "For a while, he didn't get his chance so it was very difficult for him as you can't show how good you are. There were big doubts about his quality and he only got a chance for one or two games at a time."

Wenger nevertheless left himself a get-out clause in case Thierry Henry is injured or Wiltord and Bergkamp suffer setbacks in the next fortnight.

"There are circumstances in which we would have no choice. If Bergkamp or Wiltord were long-term injuries, of course we would have to sign someone," he admitted. "But I refuse to do anything if nothing major happens. I won't buy a short-term solution unless I'm under pressure to do so.

"I have set a time limit. I can wait until next Tuesday, when I will give some youngsters a chance in the Carling Cup, and wait to see how they do. Frankly, look at the European transfer market. What has happened? Nothing. There has been no market and that's the most dangerous time to buy players because, if you buy a player, you should [theoretically] be able to sell him the next day.

"You can't do that as the football market is dead and there are more clubs in danger of going into administration than those looking to buy players. Why don't Fulham release Louis Saha? They just let the price go up and up until they finally open the door."

http://www.soccer365.com/EUROPEAN_NEWS/Premiership/page_99_65471.shtml

Arsena Wenger
Proffesor of Economic and Business Administration
Strasburg University

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
it would of been a better post if you added your own thoughts instead of just copying and pasting the whole article. <-- also wakky's philosophy.

it was obvious wenger is going to continue act cheap, however i believe also we dont need to spend big. only need a striker to partner henry, and IF a good CB turns up, why not?

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Wenger is not cheap and the fact he does not waste money ala Fergie is why Arsenal will have a state of the art stadium in a few years there by insuring Arsenal's success in near and distant future.

When West Ham is asking 8 mill for Defoe and Villa 20 mill for Angel what should Wenger do? IMO he knows whom he wants and is willing to wait until the summer to aquire said player.

As Wenger stated the transfer market is dead as most teams are not willing to risk paying a ton of dough for a player who will only have four months to make a significant impact in all competions.

I'm still convinced Wenger is saving for Trezguet.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Unfortunately for Wenger- £20 million isn't going to cut it for Trezegol. Larger sums have been turned down from Chelski already. As such- I think Wenger is well aware of that, and is looking for better bargains elsewhere. Something I have every confidence he will manage to do successfully. Indeed- he almost always did in the past.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I think he should take advantage of Parma's financial situation and sign Frey or Ferrari. Both are top-class and are between the best of the world in their positions (Ferrari would be easily one of the best 3 defenders of the EPL).

Again, I say that opportunities like this won't come all the time.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Ferrari won't leave Italy surely ????

everyone knows Italians can't stand to be away from their mothers for more than a few days,he would be an emotional wreck and would probably spend his days in Pizza Express longing for his homeland. :(

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Ferrari is half Argelian, so you never know. :D

Even though Toure and Cygan are doing great, Ferrari-Campbell would make one of the best central-defense duos in the world.

·
63,337 Posts
as it happens Cygan is doing well,but still his lack of pace is an accident waiting to happen,unfortunately we have not enough money for all these targets and i mantain forward is the most pressing. ;)

of course if Mutu had stayed at Parma i would say get a bargain but he didn't :(

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Well, I said Ferrari OR Frey. It would take less than 10 mil and Arsenal would have a world class player. As Wenger stated, signing a forward now would be a risky thing, since the market isn't very good at this time. We can wait until summer to do that, and we'll have at least 10 mil, even buying Ferrari or Frey.

·
63,337 Posts
well yes ,i agree get them in :D

but i think Wenger will buy a forward,i believe Van Persie is very close,maybe we will get him for £4m and we will still have money left,but i can't see a young Italian like Ferrari crossing the channel,it just doesn't happen much. :cool:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Can I help Arsene in any way? I got about 11 bucks now. :D

Its been about 2-3 seasons already that Arsenal are on Trezeguet, do you think they will ever get him? If so, dont you think that Juve and sneaky SOB Moggi will ask for Vieira? In the last two years, Vieira has been Juve's primary target.

·
63,337 Posts
I laugh with the Juve fans about Trez all the time,but i just don't think he sees Trez as his ideal player,Wenger i think prefers a more mobile forward and more of a team player.

of course he is still searching for his ideal,but i think an Aliadiere at full potential is more his dream,or Anelka if he didn't develop into a thoroughly weird freak. :D

but if Trez was available for a small sum,Wenger would rip up his philosophy and get him ,but there is no way he would sacrifice his greatest true love,Paddy Vieira :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts